User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2012, 11:17 PM   #1
einnocent OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Darren and Erik's Excellent Adventure! ==San Francisco to Tierra del Fuego==

Hi, all! Erik here, and Darren and I are riding from San Francisco, California to Tierra del Fuego, Argentina. We are in the final stages of preparation for our journey to the very tippy end of South America. Our bikes are nearly farkled out and lubed and prepped with new rubber all around; our packages of cool toys and impervious fabrics arrive daily via all the usual common carriers; our employment has ended, stuff is going into storage, and sacrificial virgins have been thrown into the appropriate volcanoes for the gods of Hi-Viz and Lo-Wind. Things feel like they're getting done.

We shall soon be ready for D-day, t-minus zero: May 2nd, 2012. Stompers Boots, for which I'll be doing blog posts on Facebook, is graciously hosting a send-off party that morning at 10am. If you're in SF it would be great to see you there! 323 10th Street, San Francisco, CA 94103

I've been preparing lately by going to the Krav Maga Institute in San Francisco, which has graciously provided me with classes to help get me in shape and to give me the confidence in martial arts that will hopefully keep me calm enough that I'll be able to use my words and not my fists. Thanks, Danny!

Other preparation has included: breaking into vacant places and throwing parties, giving me practice in sound decision making under pressure (thanks, Phil!); getting gorgeous business cards made to hand out to all the new friends I'll be making (thanks, Karen!); doing adventure riding through mud and ruts and changing the resulting flats (thanks, Xiao! Hope your knees recover from that deer); and doing orgasmic meditation just in time to get headtripped/mindf*cked before I get a heavy dose of helmet time (thanks, Maya and Aubrey!).

With just a week away, things are finally coming together, and every day feels full of activity. We're looking forward to telling all you cool peeps on ADVRider all about what we're up to, and to hearing all your advice and feedback. It's exhilarating to think I'm finally living the dream, that I'll be doing what I've read about, that I'll be in the esteemed company of adventure riders. Cheers and godspeed to you all!

--E
=>Karen Chu -- For all your graphic design and branding needs.

einnocent screwed with this post 04-25-2012 at 10:01 AM Reason: Missing signature
einnocent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:56 AM   #3
poolman
Gnarly Poolside Adv.

Oddometer: 675
Darren and Erik,

Best wishes for a safe and awesome adventure! I'm looking forward to following this one .

Cheers,

Sacred Valley of the Incas
Costa Rica Solo
poolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:58 AM   #4
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,446
don't know what a place holder post is, but RADIOMAN is king! seriously, post up preparations....like what is a tvip, where do you get it, and what does it cost? what is a visa--do you need to get one before you leave? how do you get money on the road? will your cell phone work? what kind of computer are you taking? are you expecting to camp...taking gear?
Old 04-25-2012, 09:53 AM   #5
einnocent OP
Adventurer

Some preparation details

Agreed, Radioman is pretty kingly After Googling "tvip", I can say with some certainty that I will not be doing any two-variable integer programming. We aren't getting any visas because everything we've read has indicated that, as Americanos, we can just pleasantly glide through all borders without issue, waving and smiling while accepting bouquets of flowers. Or at least this is how I picture it. I'll be getting money via ATMs and, near borders, via shady dudes with missing teeth. My rule of thumb: fewer teeth = better deal.

My cell phone won't work so I'm not taking it, instead I've switched my phone number over to Google Voice so I can make calls from my laptop, which I'll be bringing. I'm bringing it so I can do all I need via wifi, thus making pic uploads easier, and I'll be protected from keyboard logging attacks when I inevitably log into Paypal or my bank. Remember: local water and computers can have viruses! I'm bringing a 13" Macbook Pro, which feels pretty sturdy and is plenty fast.

I'm bringing very basic camp gear: sleeping bag, bivy, Therm-a-rest. Still debating on the stove (Radioman didn't use his till south of Colombia). The camp gear, until we get out of the tropics, is going to be for emergencies -- breakdowns and otherwise getting caught out in the dark.

I'll list my bike mods later (SO MANY, OMG), and hopefully Darren will chime in soon!
Old 04-25-2012, 10:05 AM   #6
Incredulous
Peanut Gallery

Oddometer: 562
Hey Erik

I found the thread! Won't be able to make the send-off cause some of us gotta work, but I am looking forward to following your journey-subscribed.

You have the right attitude, so have fun. I'm jealous.

Tyler
Incredulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:09 AM   #7
thedarren
thedarren

Oddometer: 3
Erik and Darren's Excellent Adventure! ==San Francisco to Tierra del Fuego==

The time has come for me to leave the tender opulence of the bosom of south Orange County, California and prove to myself that I can still sleep on the ground and grit my teeth through mild dysentery. Trip prep is progressing well and is expected to reach the obligatory level of stressful desperation the night before Erik and I depart next week. In the end, aside from a few basics like passports, money and common sense, nothing is absolutely necessary and the best attitude I’ve found is to embrace the adversity of broken bikes and unavailable parts and enjoy it as part of the experience (feel free to remind me of that when it’s dark out and I’m cold, wet and hungry next to my broken bike).

For bikes and gear, Erik and I will see what works best under what conditions in our different kits – there’s more than one way to remove the pelt from a domesticated feline, and I look forward to see how the choice of bikes, gear and riders perform. Thanks to ADVrider and the other adventure forums for the plethora of advice on everything from headlights to lube - I look forward to contributing my own dos centavos for the rumination of others. You, my fellow adventure riders, have my respect and admiration. I wish you the best for your own rides.

Erik, you are a gentleman and scholar, and I close with this oath:

Adventure Rider Oath of Loyalty
As an adventure rider, I do freely and with sound mind bind myself to this oath:
- I shall not leave my fellow rider behind, nor put the goals of my trip before the well-being of my fellow rider.
- I shall freely render whatever assistance may be needed by my fellow rider, emergency or otherwise.
- I shall trust my life to my fellow rider, and be prepared for the responsibility of being trusted with theirs.
- I shall be free and honest to my fellow rider with my opinion, especially if something may go tits up. I entreat my fellow rider to be free and honest in their opinion as well.
- I shall not cast my fellow rider out of our lodging for the opportunity of a woman’s embrace, yet I shall go freely from the room of my own accord, should it allow them to enjoy a woman’s embrace.
- I shall sympathize with my fellow rider if the plato tipico he ate the day before causes him to experience unintended rectal discharge while riding his motorcycle.
Should I lose focus on the principals of this oath, I humbly request my fellow rider to remind me of this oath. Should I willfully and materially stray from this oath, may Cthulhu strike down my bike with a dropped valve and spun main bearing.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:37 AM   #8
einnocent OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedarren View Post
- I shall not cast my fellow rider out of our lodging for the opportunity of a woman’s embrace, yet I shall go freely from the room of my own accord, should it allow them to enjoy a woman’s embrace.
I just laughed for a minute straight. Did you make up this oath? For all witnesses, I raise my left hand and state, "I do!"

(We are both lefties.)
Old 04-25-2012, 02:53 PM   #9
Brajole
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Yo Guys!
What route are y'all taking southbound?
I'm in SF, and looking to head out toward the Four Corners from Monument Vally, UT. I'm taking the month of May off and just going for it...
How long before you meet the boarder?

BTW: why do you think you don't need a passport?
Old 04-25-2012, 03:29 PM   #10
thedarren
thedarren

Brajole:

We're leaving May 2 (Murphy's Law notwithstanding) and taking I-5, I-10, I-8 and some highways (yes I know, too much asphalt), with the intent of crossing into Mexico at Lukeville, AZ on May 5, so unless you're planning on leaving early May and swinging fairly far south, we're prolly off your route.

We should need our passports for all the border crossings (with the possible exception of Mexico), but shouldn't need any separate entry visas beyond what can be fairly easily obtained at the actual border crossing (with the possible exception of a handful of South American countries - still confirming that)
Old 04-25-2012, 04:08 PM   #11
Blind Warrior
Lost in the Ozone

Oddometer: 344
Good luck with the trip guys. I came through Sonoyta a couple of weeks ago. You probably already know that the Banjercito is about 30km across the border on the way to Caborca. This is where you'll get your tourist visa and TVIP.

"The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced." - Frank Zappa
Blind Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:22 PM   #12
Iowegian
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Good Luck and Good Riding Gentlemen. Looking forward to the tale of your travels.

Iowegian screwed with this post 06-04-2012 at 07:55 PM
Iowegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:46 PM   #13
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Bikes? You Are Going On Bikes .. Right?

Good luck guys!
You will need a TVIP (temporary vehicle import permit) its about $37 for Mexico ... and something similar for every country you pass through, but most don't cost much, if anything.

What is new about the Mex. TVIP is they now actually CHARGE your credit card the odd $300 to $400 deposit (based on bike value). You must return your Turista sticker/paperwork and present your bike and check out with Banjercito/Aduana upon departure from Mexico. You also need a Tourist Visa. ($22) Then, Banjercito will issue a "credit" to your credit card and you get your deposit back.

Both the TVIP and Tourist Visa are good for 6 months. Don't over stay or fines will be levied!

I'm surprised you guys are going the Lukeville / Sonoita route. IMHO ... (and I've done both many times) ... Baja is far more pleasant and a way better introduction to Mexico than mainland route. Mellow, diverse, beautiful.

Mainland Mexico (far North) is not my favorite area. If you go Baja you can Ferry over either at Santa Rosalia (to Guaymas) or La Paz over to either Mazatlan or Topolobambo. I prefer going to Topo, then onto Copper Canyon via Mex. 12, onto Mex 16 and on to Creel. To Topo is reasonable $. Several options from there ... almost all good.

PM me is you want info about getting up to Copper Canyon or points inland.

Private Hotel in Batopilas, Copper Canyon.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:08 PM   #14
einnocent OP
Adventurer

We figured Baja might be boring/monotonous, hence the mainland southern route. And we figured we should do an out-of-the-way location that would allow us to get down to Hermosillo as directly as possible, since everything we've read has said that the closer to the border you are, the sketchier it is. We might be wrong, there's a lot of debate, but... "A bad decision is better than no decision".

We will be doing Copper Canyon, so one of us will definitely PM you, Adv Grifter. Thanks!
Old 04-25-2012, 09:55 PM   #15
thedarren
thedarren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Warrior View Post
You probably already know that the Banjercito is about 30km across the border on the way to Caborca. This is where you'll get your tourist visa and TVIP.
Thanks for the tip on the Banjercito, I was wondering how close or far it was gonna be. Apparently you can do most of the process online in advance now on the Internet, but we didn't start the process with enough lead time.