Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2013, 03:10 AM   #136
Waterboiler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
I always go for the best tires I can find for a particualr task. As you are sliding down the road or skidding towards an oncomming truck the $100 saved on that set of tires does not seem like such a good idea :)

Enjoy the ride back through Ontario.
Waterboiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:31 AM   #137
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
Great to hear you're back in the land of slow riding.....maybe that is why I love the 761's so much, you can't get up high enough in speed to make them dangerous.....just kidding. I have ridden across canada twice now on the 761 and have also been through the worste rain ever in 2010 when the west had it's last flooding issues. I rode through 4" of rain on the road and yes it did hydroplane a bit but that was because I refused to slow down until it did and then I rode much slower after that scarey situation. But to each their own when buying tires......it's all personal choice and I'm not going to harp on them or what you should or should not do or buy. It's simialr to buying oil etc. It will only start a BS war over who is right.

You had the old Beverly Hillbilly's look going on their for sure with tires and the kitchen sink mounted on the bike...lol.

So, when are you going back? Or is it too soon to say? It took me about a month to get over the ride and then it was all I could think about.....how was I getting back to the far north and the mountains. It's an itch that is seriously hard to scratch!

Glad you made it back safe and sound....a great ride report!
Old 06-25-2013, 03:03 PM   #138
kiffernathan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Kenda K270s are a lot better than the 761. I ran a 761 on my way back from the Great Divide Ride and honestly my bald K270 had better grip. Plus the sidewalls on the 761 make it a lot harder to change on the trail.

Glad you had a good trip! You'll miss it after you've been home for a while - at least until you make the next trip!
2007 Versys
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260555
kiffernathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:16 PM   #139
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiffernathan View Post
Kenda K270s are a lot better than the 761. I ran a 761 on my way back from the Great Divide Ride and honestly my bald K270 had better grip. Plus the sidewalls on the 761 make it a lot harder to change on the trail.
I second that! I mounted Kenda 270s (front and rear) before I start TAT. Rode the TAT and back to home from Port Orford using I-40. Couple of months later, I rode up to Cleveland OH on same tire and on way back home the tire held up pretty good in hard rain without losing traction. After 15,000 miles, I finally took them off when it was 100% bald. Kenda 270 gets my vote!
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:35 PM   #140
FloorPoor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhicheverAnyWayCan View Post
I second that! I mounted Kenda 270s (front and rear) before I start TAT. Rode the TAT and back to home from Port Orford using I-40. Couple of months later, I rode up to Cleveland OH on same tire and on way back home the tire held up pretty good in hard rain without losing traction. After 15,000 miles, I finally took them off when it was 100% bald. Kenda 270 gets my vote!
+1 really like the K270, but have switched to the Shinko 244 for the front, 95% as good as the K270 in the dirt, and 100% better then the K270 on twisty pavement. (I'm running a 244 rear now and it's throwing knobs, as soon as it's dead it will be replaced by a K270, or possibly a T-63, like that one too)

"There's nothing like that fresh tire feeling "
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:46 AM   #141
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorPoor View Post
+1 really like the K270, but have switched to the Shinko 244 for the front, 95% as good as the K270 in the dirt, and 100% better then the K270 on twisty pavement. (I'm running a 244 rear now and it's throwing knobs, as soon as it's dead it will be replaced by a K270, or possibly a T-63, like that one too)
Thanks for the info! I'll have to try that someday soon!
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:45 AM   #142
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Oddometer: 2,135
Hey Jeff! I'm assuming your finished your trip. Sounds like you had a great time! Thanks for keeping us updated on your progress!!
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:08 PM   #143
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 652
Great ride report

I can never get enough of good ride reports, especially those in Alaska. Thanks for taking the time to go to all of the work that it takes......
Stay safe,

Gary
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:55 PM   #144
Cowtowner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Ontario

Hey Jeff, glad to hear you made it to Ontario. We weren't so much hammered here with rain like out west in the foothills and mountains but it did start raining pretty good the day you left, and the flooding started shortly after.

John.
Cowtowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:35 PM   #145
Bambooda OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Talking There's no place like home.

Hey everybody!

Sorry for leaving you hangin' for quite a while and sort of disappearing off the face of the earth, things were quite busy at home when I got back, and I was gone for the long weekend (Dominion Day)... But moving on! Or backwards should I say??

There's no place like home. It was exciting and comforting knowing I was going to be back home again, I will obviously miss being out on the road, but it was nice to have a bed to sleep in again, and be able to spend time with my Girlfriend, Family, and friends. My lovely girlfriend was even sweet enough to bake some cupcakes for me when I got home!1! (I guess she figured I would have lost too much weight on the trip or something)

The day after I got back I was hoping on attending the trail ride in Midhurst. (I know, spend 47 days on a bike only to get home and go ride more bikes, people thought I was crazy) But my KTM exc 200 really crapped the bed and let me down so I couldn't attend. This was one of the reasons I was so busy during the week, trying to get this damn thing going. I also acquired a 1982 GS750E on the trip. Don't ask me how I got it home, but it's a sweet bike and I'm totally stoked to get it going. I now have 3 bikes in the garage...only 1 that works...GOOD OL' KLR!!!!

My trip was certainly one of a lifetime. I had been able to see and experience things I would not have been able to any other way than on a motorcycle. It was an amazing sense knowing there was a automatic bond between you and a complete stranger simply because both of you express passion, sometimes in completely different ways, towards motorcycling. The scenery was incredible, the wildlife was spectacular, and being exposed to the elements for days on end, whether it being good or bad, lead to an unforgettable journey. But it was the people that turned my simple trip across the country into an unforgettable adventure across a nation. I was completely surprised and overwhelmed with the amount of support and friendliness that welcomed me along the way; I cannot say thank you enough to all of those that lent a helping hand, a comfortable bed, a fresh meal, a cold beer, or simply a warm smile as I was passing through your neighbourhood. It is these experiences I will long to replicate and experience through future endeavors in my life. Although many of you will unlikely have necessity for my help, my doors will always be open to the people that opened theirs, and to any other future traveler in need of a place to sleep, tools to use, or beer to drink.

I'm really glad those of you who decided to follow along enjoyed the report, and that I was able to revive fond memories for some, give helpful advice to others, and spark a desire for future ADVriders

This certainly won't be the last one.

Bambooda screwed with this post 07-02-2013 at 03:40 PM
Bambooda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:55 PM   #146
rgiroux
Invisible Man

Oddometer: 2,218

2009 Alaska , 2010 Moab
2011 Calif Dreaming , 2013 Mexico
rgiroux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:04 PM   #147
Trane Francks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 563
Nice homecoming.
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:21 PM   #148
Whyswoman
The Gal's Gotta 'Yak

Oddometer: 599
Thumb

What an elegant wrap up to a superbly written ride report - thank you for taking us all along for the ride...I am glad to read this will not be the last one!

Cheers - from Whyswoman in Winnipeg...

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...B7MsmZi3RGt4c2
Whyswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:41 PM   #149
FloorPoor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhicheverAnyWayCan View Post
Thanks for the info! I'll have to try that someday soon!
And the Shinko front is only about $35

Bambooda, THANK YOU! for putting in the effort it takes to put up a good ride report (and this was a good one) I'm glad your journey was safe. Perhaps one day my KLR will meet yours on the road.

"There's nothing like that fresh tire feeling "
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:13 AM   #150
bcs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Congrats on a successful trip and thanks for the great ride report. Really enjoyed following along. You seriously do have horseshoes--you got the trip of a lifetime and an awesome family and GF to come home to.
bcs is offline   Reply With Quote