HellCat650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Very nice! :
Old 05-24-2013, 08:54 PM   #65
ArmyMedic
Flyin' Elvis, UT Chapter

Oddometer: 485
Subscribed! I'm headed up that way the beginning of July. Can't wait!

RecoveryThreads.com
ArmyMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:09 PM   #66
Bambooda OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Woohoo!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by willys View Post

You do know a KLR isn't a dirtbike eh....lol.
Yeah, maybe, but that won't stop me from trying to ride it like one!!!
With so many logging roads, its hard to resist!!!

Driving with my Garmin 60Cx that has Topographic maps on it, it's hard to drive by a trail that looks like it might lead somewhere interesting.

This trail ended at a point where a CN rail line runs parallel with the Fraser river.

It had an amazing view and I had considered casting a line for a while, but I once learned the hard way that train drivers have the ability to immediately contact local authorities (in this case the RCMP) and inform them exactly of the position of trespassers. I especially didn't want to deal with the big guys considering I didn't have a fishing license. I stayed just enough time to absorb the surroundings, then got on my way back towards Prince George.

On the side of the highway just before Prince George, these little buggers were running around bouncing all over the place and tumbling over each other with their mom patiently following along keeping watch of them. I've seen many black bears, but never any cubs with their mom. I had to pull over and get a shot (at a fair distance with the motor running mind you lol).
Bambooda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:43 AM   #67
Mr. Bagel
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Nice pics, Jeppy. Glad to see you're taking time to enjoy the sights.

Spoke to Ian about the Aquisition and he will speak to Sean one more time. Looks like it might be a go.

Our team came fifth in the relay yesterday.
Mr. Bagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:57 AM   #68
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 772
(subscribing now) Great report so far! is Deadhorse on the list of destination in AK?
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:13 AM   #69
Bambooda OP
Adventurer

Deadhorse was on the original plan, but since I've been really takin my time and I've had a couple delays, it looks like that might be cut out from the trip. It's ok though, that just gives me a reason to go back!
Old 05-27-2013, 11:49 AM   #70
Bambooda OP
Adventurer

Ok ok, so the last big post was a bit dry, but don't worry, ill make it up to you, I promise.

But here's what I've been up to in the main time.

The electrical gremlin has struck again!!!!!!!

The day I got the giant heart clogging burger, my radiator fan was not shutting off. So every stop I made had to be short and then on the road I was again. I fixed it by grounding the lead which goes to the temp sensor against the engine. This must have tripped the relay again and got it to open the switch.

Here is how I grounded the fan, this is a good way of detecting a faulty switch.

If the fan does not start when the engine is really hot, but starts when you ground the connection, it's the switch. If it does not start when grounded, it is either the relay, fan, or fuse.

From the time I stopped the fan from operating continuously it would turn on and off intermittently when the engine was hot, sometimes not at all. When I was grounding the plug, nothing was happening, therefore, it must be the fan, relay or fuse. Since it would come on intermittently, it's definitely not the fuse, an unlikely to be the motor. That leaves the relay. Lucky me, Kawasaki uses the same relay switch for the radiator fan and the starter motor.
Here is the fan relay, just behind the rad overflow:

And here is the starter relay, underneath the little side plastic piece with the side stand junk:

Once I swapped the relays the fan worked like a charm, I checked by grounding the plug. One problem though, can't start the bike now.... So that ain't gonna work. 3 options: find a replacement relay (HAHAHAHHA like that's gonna happen), put an inline switch for the fan, or put in a switch for the starter. So option 1 is obviously the easiest, so I googled the denso part no. And turns out this switch is used in: Kawasaki (they have them, but it would take a week), Honda (they've discontinued this part and don't have any in Canada, at least for cars), Harley Davison, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Lexus, and last but not least, Subaru. I also tried Napa and another local auto parts store. So I started calling; in the respective listing order, and who has one?? Of course, the last possible option, Subaru. WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! $50 after tax, I wasn't too happy about it, but you gotta do what you gotta do. And I didn't really want to drive around town looking for switches, cutting and soldering wires, and spending hours reading online and staring at the wiring diagram (not my forte) in order to make sure I did the right thing.

In conclusion: VICTORY!!!! Kicked the crap out of that little gremlin once again.
I'm betting he is pretty resilient though...

Man: 3, gremlin: 0.

Oh yeah, I'm in Whitehorse btw. It's freakin wicked

Bambooda screwed with this post 05-27-2013 at 03:07 PM
Old 05-27-2013, 11:54 AM   #71
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
I am thin king the same thing buddy, stop wasting time playing with bears and trains and get to the real scenery! Don't forget to stop at Hyder/Steward and see Slamon Glacier especially if the weather is good! I have that shot as my desktop screen....it's spectacular!!! Then don't pass telelgraph Creek without spending a day exploring that location. Then travel up to Dawson and Inuvik before the D2D then spend a couple of days with hundreds of likeminded folks. You won't regret it. I'm going back next year for sure, unless I can't ride! Then go across into Alaska over the Top of the World Highway. After that I can't help, I haven't been yet.

Now get moving....and stop farting around......lol....enjoy.....
Old 05-27-2013, 03:26 PM   #72
Bambooda OP
Adventurer

Hey man, I really appreciate the suggestions on places to go see and do. But dude, if I wanna stop and see some bears I'm gonna stop and see some fricken bears! I don't see any sense in rushing, and if I don't get to all the highlights in this trip, as I've mentioned before, that's just another reason to come out here again!

Like I said, thanks for the suggestions, I mean it, my itinerary is changing almost day-by-day based on peoples recommendations and I get to see the coolest things. No hard feelings, and like I promised, I got some juicer stuff for the next post!

Bambooda screwed with this post 05-27-2013 at 11:04 PM
Old 05-27-2013, 05:01 PM   #73
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
Don't worry about seeing a bear....it won't be the last one! the Cassier I gave up counting there were so many!!!! Enjoy now get moving!!!!.....lol. There were more bears than ground squirrels!
Old 05-27-2013, 05:30 PM   #74
GrizzLee
RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambooda View Post
On the side of the highway just before Prince George, these little buggers were running around bouncing all over the place and tumbling over each other with their mom patiently following along keeping watch of them. I've seen many black bears, but never any cubs with their mom. I had to pull over and get a shot (at a fair distance with the motor running mind you lol).
A couple of years ago, I was heading from Prince George to Quesnel and a rain squall happened very quickly. It was pouring buckets within seconds ... I was doing about 60 mph or so on my bike and a black bear came out in my lane and sat down right in front of me with no time to stop. I didn't know whether to go left or right, so I blasted the horn and went straight, The bear moved to my right and I just missed it by less than an inch. I swear my legs brushed against its fur.

I pulled over the side of the road to compose myself. The left blinker was still going as I grabbed a handful of clutch, horn and brake all at once and happened to push my blinker as well.

That was an experience I'd rather never have again....
RR: Destination Nuxalk Nation
RR: Our Life Behind Bars
GrizzLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:05 PM   #75
Bambooda OP
Adventurer

Radiator upgrade.

Ok, so I replaced the relay and everything is hunky dory. Kind of. Ive been paying much more attention to the fan now, and it seems that the fan comes on at the right temperature, but turns off way before the engine has cooled enough. This makes me a bit concerned about the switch that is in the radiator. So I took matters into my own hands.

As I showed you earlier, when the circuit is grounded (i.e. closed) the fan operates. If the switch ever failed to close, I would need another way to turn the fan on, and there's no way I could drive down the road with my hand holding the connector to the fin.

Solution: I spiced into the cable leading to the radiator switch and ran a manual switch, when closed, grounds the circuit. This means the fan has 2 options of being grounded, either by the thermal switch or manual switch. Also, if the thermal switch ever fails, or I want it on all the time for off-roading I can turn the fan on manually and it will run until I turn it off.

Here is where I located the switch: