ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 10:23 PM   #1
juddspaintballs OP
Never too many bikes
 
juddspaintballs's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Berkeley Springs, WV
Oddometer: 205
I wrecked on the way home today

I'm OK 100%, just a little sore.

I was on my way home from work this afternoon and it had just stopped raining after about 5 minutes of light rain. It poured the last two days so I know there was no oil on the road, but it is a very tar heavy section of road that I was on, still wet, when it happened. My rear end got loose and before I knew it I was sliding down the road sitting upright on my arse. My only thought was, "I hope the bike doesn't hit me in the back." It wasn't quite a highside since I rode the bike all the way to the ground.

I know it landed on the right side with the headlight pointing diagonally forward towards the left hand ditch and the tail end pointing diagonally backwards towards the right hand ditch. I came off forward of the bike sitting on my butt sliding down the road. As best I can tell, the right tip over wing dug in and flipped the bike over to the left side. There is road rash on the top of the dash board and the top of the passenger back rest so the ST had to have been upside down at some point. The left side took the brunt of the impact. The bike actually came to a rest on the right side.

Without taking plastic off and digging in, it appears that the left tip over wing got crushed and probably tweaked the frame. There's a lot of oil on the ground and all over the bike and it appears to originate from the left side. The oil filter is in tact so it's possible I cracked a component of the engine. I'm fairly certain the bike will be totalled by insurance. NADA on an excellent machine lists it at over $4480, and I think I have a very good case for calling it in excellent shape given the recent upgrades and immaculate pre-wreck condition of the plastics and the fact that the odometer reads under 100,000 miles.


First gouge in the asphalt.
[img width=600 height=800]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/juddspaintballs/ST1100%20wreck/20130509_161932_zps3b49dcee.jpg[/img]




Second gouge (hidden inside a muddy footstep)



Oil




















__________________
2001 KLR250 | 2005 KLR650

You can't say happiness without saying penis.
juddspaintballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:01 AM   #2
AzItLies
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Oddometer: 347
Well that sucks Man, good yer okay.

With that mud and stuff, certainly looks like treacherous conditions.

Time to sit back with a cold one and thank yer lucky stars.

Cheers
AzItLies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:22 AM   #3
Falconx84
Lurker
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Martinsburg, WV
Oddometer: 370
glad to hear you're intact. I did almost the same thing last night on my drive home. I'm still not sure how I kept it upright with the front wheel sliding.

Hope you get a nice insurance payout... remember to claim your gear, too... with my insurance anything that contacts the pavement is considered damaged and gets replaced
__________________
V-Strom DL1000k7
Falconx84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:27 AM   #4
NJ-Brett
Brett
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Southern New Jersey
Oddometer: 6,267
Wow, those big heavy bikes really bust up in a crash!
Glad you did not bust up in the crash!
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:29 AM   #5
doc4216
Chronic High Fiver
 
doc4216's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Alameda for now
Oddometer: 379
Wow!!! definitely glad you're okay!
__________________
"A straight road never made a skilled rider"
'13 Tiger 800 Roadie
doc4216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:36 AM   #6
8lives
Oops I fell again
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Shasta County,Calif
Oddometer: 1,729
Glad to hear your ok,2 wheels allow things to change quick.Im guessing the little redhead in the picture is glad your ok,hope it all works out,scary stuff,thanks for posting/sharing to show us all it does happen,my son had a guy pull out in front of him,totaled the bike and messed up his knee,we got a new to us R6 sitting in the garage and he just got out of surgery and his knee is ok.
__________________
http://8lives.smugmug.com/
Robin Williams was my hero,RIP!
2013 Wee Strom AKA Miley
1986 XT350 For going places the Wee shouldn't be!
I still see the world through KLR eyes
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:35 AM   #7
luckygrownup
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: the suburban wasteland of Maryland.
Oddometer: 133
Sounds like you had a washout. Normally, you get that in the mud or dirt. My guess is you tried to counter steer right before you found yourself sitting on the pavement. Washouts happen quick.

Good to hear you are OK.



Quote:
Originally Posted by juddspaintballs View Post
I'm OK 100%, just a little sore.

I was on my way home from work this afternoon and it had just stopped raining after about 5 minutes of light rain. It poured the last two days so I know there was no oil on the road, but it is a very tar heavy section of road that I was on, still wet, when it happened. My rear end got loose and before I knew it I was sliding down the road sitting upright on my arse. My only thought was, "I hope the bike doesn't hit me in the back." It wasn't quite a highside since I rode the bike all the way to the ground.

I know it landed on the right side with the headlight pointing diagonally forward towards the left hand ditch and the tail end pointing diagonally backwards towards the right hand ditch. I came off forward of the bike sitting on my butt sliding down the road. As best I can tell, the right tip over wing dug in and flipped the bike over to the left side. There is road rash on the top of the dash board and the top of the passenger back rest so the ST had to have been upside down at some point. The left side took the brunt of the impact. The bike actually came to a rest on the right side.

Without taking plastic off and digging in, it appears that the left tip over wing got crushed and probably tweaked the frame. There's a lot of oil on the ground and all over the bike and it appears to originate from the left side. The oil filter is in tact so it's possible I cracked a component of the engine. I'm fairly certain the bike will be totalled by insurance. NADA on an excellent machine lists it at over $4480, and I think I have a very good case for calling it in excellent shape given the recent upgrades and immaculate pre-wreck condition of the plastics and the fact that the odometer reads under 100,000 miles.
luckygrownup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:30 AM   #8
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon
 
Schlug's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: put something on and stay in that position.
Oddometer: 7,304
Looks like the bike in binned. Glad to hear you're okay, though. If the frame isn't twisted maybe you could buy it back for a song and put all the plastic bits that exploded back on it.

Most importantly, you're fine.


That isn't like any part of Maryland I know. This probably wouldn't have happened in Glen Burnie.
__________________
"So what makes this protest different is that you're set to die, Bobby?"
--May well come to that.
"You start a hunger strike to protest for what you believe in. You don't start already determined to die or am I missing somethin' here?"
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:05 AM   #9
juddspaintballs OP
Never too many bikes
 
juddspaintballs's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Berkeley Springs, WV
Oddometer: 205
Yes, a washout makes the most sense. It was a very wet and tar heavy road. once I knew going down was inevitable, my focus was staying clear of the bike.

I will probably attempt to buy it back, either to part out the accessories not covered (I only have $1000 extra in accessory coverage) or to put all of the good bits on a different ST1100. I just did a bunch of brake and carb work to it and I hate to see several hundred dollars of upgrades go to waste (thousands if you actually totalled everything up on the bike that isn't stock).

Sore today, twinge in the neck, but otherwise doing alright. Certainly not upset about this wreck or the bike. If you ride enough, this stuff happens. At least I have the KLR to ride on my trip to the BRMC next week.
__________________
2001 KLR250 | 2005 KLR650

You can't say happiness without saying penis.
juddspaintballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:17 AM   #10
NJ-Brett
Brett
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Southern New Jersey
Oddometer: 6,267
It happens to some people.
Mostly to the people who think its likely to happen.



Quote:
Originally Posted by juddspaintballs View Post

Sore today, twinge in the neck, but otherwise doing alright. Certainly not upset about this wreck or the bike. If you ride enough, this stuff happens. At least I have the KLR to ride on my trip to the BRMC next week.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:34 AM   #11
DirtReeper
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Southern Utah
Oddometer: 508
Glad youre ok, wouldnt have happend if you were on the KLR
__________________
KLR 650 KLaiRe, dirty red head
Quoth the Darth Peach: "Must work to afford Bikethings"
Quoth Dorzok, it's a BMW. just activate the levitation function that's part of the optional accessory outer space adventure package.
DirtReeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:25 AM   #12
8lives
Oops I fell again
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Shasta County,Calif
Oddometer: 1,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtReeper View Post
Glad youre ok, wouldnt have happend if you were on the KLR
I agree,well I ride a KLR and it naps from time to time.
__________________
http://8lives.smugmug.com/
Robin Williams was my hero,RIP!
2013 Wee Strom AKA Miley
1986 XT350 For going places the Wee shouldn't be!
I still see the world through KLR eyes
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:43 PM   #13
bogey78
Studly Adventurer
 
bogey78's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: North Alabama
Oddometer: 572
Extremely glad you are OK other than being banged up a little bit. Also, sad to see that bike all tore up but as you said, there will be another to take its place.

Were you in a curve when it happened? I can't tell by the photos. I assume you were leaned and hit a slick spot---but wasn't sure.

Again, glad you came out of it basically uninjured.
__________________
Bogey78
IBA#33560
bogey78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:39 PM   #14
juddspaintballs OP
Never too many bikes
 
juddspaintballs's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Berkeley Springs, WV
Oddometer: 205
I was out of the curve a good distance already. It was hot all day, the road is heavy on tar, and it had just sprinkled enough to get everything wet. So hot tar and water are a bad combination with a bike apparently. I've ridden many thousands of miles in the rain with that bike without an issue. Can't control everything...
__________________
2001 KLR250 | 2005 KLR650

You can't say happiness without saying penis.
juddspaintballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:25 PM   #15
bogey78
Studly Adventurer
 
bogey78's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: North Alabama
Oddometer: 572
That is a freaky way to go down. Again, glad you are ok.
__________________
Bogey78
IBA#33560
bogey78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014