User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 11:11 PM   #1
azredline OP
Wobbly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
S. Arizona Loop, Part Two

Got a few pics here of a ride Reidy008 and I took last Sunday, 5/12. We wanted to finish a loop we started back in March but only had time to get about half way through. See the RR for that first half here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=870288

We’ve been trying to find a day to finish off the West half of the loop, and Sunday was the day.

First part nothing exciting, US60 over to Florence Junction, then in to Florence for some fuel. Took the Florence-Kelvin Parkway to Barkerville Rd, then headed south. We stayed on that and Willow Springs Rd all the way to Hwy 77 near Oracle.

Down near Catalina State Park, we turned off the hwy again onto some OHV trails that YBRacing had loaded into the route when he originally laid it all out. Nice! There were some small bikes out there getting ready to go, and I wondered why they gave us some funny looks as we went by on our bigger bikes. Clearly, they knew something we didn’t….sand! The track veered off the trail and into a narrow wash filled with deep, powdery sand. As long as we could stay on the gas, all was good, but each time we had to slow for a corner, we sunk several inches into the soft sand.

Luckily, it didn’t last more than a mile or so and we were out, back on some mixed single and double track that took us into the Tortolita Mountains. Here are some shots from that route.

Along the trail, we came across a gate and some leftovers from a corral or ranch site, complete with no parking sign

Back on the trail

More shots from the trail

We had some hills to deal with, but most were not bad

Nice day for a ride

Somewhere along the way, we stumbled across this trailer. I have no idea how they got it in here, but it won’t be leaving. Seems it is used once in a while as there is a BBQ and chairs about.

Reidy takes a rest

The road from here got a bit rocky.

Then it got really rocky.

Not for long though, so we kept going and were glad we did. It got nice again.

From whence we came.

This led us westbound toward Marana, where we hooked up with SilverBell Rd, which we stayed on for a little while before turning off toward the south on an unmarked two track. Here’s Reidy posing in front of the SilverBell Mine tailing pile. It’s a big operation.

We stopped to pay our respects at a cemetery in the middle of nowhere.

This road took us onto the Indian Road 35 on the Tohono O’odham reservation. IR35 turns to broken pavement, then leads to Hwy 86, which we took eastbound to Three Points aka Robles Junction. By now it was after 2pm and we still had a healthy section of dirt riding before we would get to Arivaca Junction, south of Green Valley, so we opted for the Gatorade and granola bar lunch, not that we had that much choice.

Just out of Robles Jct, we turn south again and head into the Sierrita Mountains.

The big sand wash. We didn’t even have to go down this wash as it turns out, but we did for a while. What a workout.

Ahhh, back on some two track and into the mountains!

Part way through, a view from where we came.

Found this little man made stock pond or something, but it was dry. Of course we had to ride around in it.

If we’d had little bikes we could have gone through this culvert, but as it was, too much bike, not enough culvert, so we hit the trail again.

From here it wasn’t long til we popped out on Arivaca Road just west of I19. It was nearly 5pm, so we decided to slab it back to Phoenix.

Bottom line, we finished off the two halves of the loop, and it was a beauty! Special thanks to YBRacing for doing the layout work on the route! For me it was a 12 hr day, a couple more for Reidy, and I don’t think we were off the bikes for more than 2 hrs all day. I know my arse was sore on Monday!
Old 05-10-2013, 07:53 AM   #2
Slowred
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 604
Great RR!

Good to see how you guys finished off that loop.
Slowred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:19 AM   #3
BELSTAFF
ADV NOMAD

Oddometer: 1,070
Hey Drew

The A/T looking beautiful as always, man I do love that that scoot, there's something about it that just screams "CLASS"

good rr guys

Arizona OHV Ambassador
BELSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:00 AM   #4
F800ekelley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
This looks like a good time i am moving out to san tan valley think i am going to try this on my GS
F800ekelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:47 AM   #5
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,439
Great pics. & RR. My kind of riding for sure.
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:20 PM   #6
mefadv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 696
Great report...
I have also come-upon old trailers in the middle of no-where and wonder how in the Hell they got there. Or why someone would go to all that trouble!
Old 05-10-2013, 10:29 PM   #7
Reidy008
I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer: 1,886
Nice work

Good stuff on the ride report mate. I only got one pic and a short video of you coming down one of the steep little hills we found.

This was the bottom
[/URL]

And here is Steve coming down
http://youtu.be/t--bJZNTSbk

Great route and there will be a ride at some point over two days to run this loop from start to finish.....

Reidy008 screwed with this post 05-10-2013 at 10:43 PM
Reidy008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:42 PM   #8
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Oddometer: 22,862
sonovagun.

You guys went again without me.

I see how it is.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:46 PM   #9
Reidy008
I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer: 1,886
What....

You are always welcome... didn't know you could make a Sunday all dayer. Will let you know on the next one... do you have a big bike?
Reidy008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:40 PM   #10
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Oddometer: 22,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reidy008 View Post
You are always welcome... didn't know you could make a Sunday all dayer. Will let you know on the next one... do you have a big bike?
no. But I'll bring my DRZ. I promise I wont complain on the highway. Just wait up for me at the intersections.

I've been having sporadic Sunday passes here and there. Just PM me or shoot me a text next time. I really want to do some exploring south of here.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:00 PM   #11
azredline OP
Wobbly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos View Post
sonovagun.

You guys went again without me.

I see how it is.

I wrongly assumed since you were going up cherry creek sat that you wouldn't be able to do sunday all day. My bad, sorry.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:00 PM   #12
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,154
Awesome RR Steve! Looks like a great route and I am bummed I missed it. I'll be ready for the next one, or two or three.

Soon it'll be time for some multiple day rides.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:52 PM   #13
azredline OP
Wobbly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by refokus View Post
Awesome RR Steve! Looks like a great route and I am bummed I missed it. I'll be ready for the next one, or two or three.

Soon it'll be time for some multiple day rides.
Yes, this was a perfect 650ish ride Brad. I heard, and see from your sig line there has been a stable re-alignment.

Remember that Jerome trail where the skid plate was "removed" from your Tiger? We did that a couple weeks ago and now have an alternate route that drops into Cottonwood that we are aching to try. Oh, and Drew saw a bear on that trail too! Will have to find a weekend soon...
Old 05-12-2013, 09:03 PM   #14
Domromer
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
Great report and cool bikes, you guys are riding in my favorite part of Arizona.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:02 PM   #15
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,478
sweet ride, guys! i'm just gonna have to get a mid sized bike so i can join you.

one day....

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is online now   Reply With Quote