Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2013, 11:42 PM   #16
lagfish OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Thanks for the advice! Do you have any pictures of your bike that you want to share?

Does your seat pan go all the way to the front of the seat?

Not sure how I feel about rewiring the whole thing. Although the connectors on the current bike are pretty tired and it's probably not too much more work to make a new harness vs. trying to make the old harness fit the new turn signals, lights, and speedo I plan to put in.
lagfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:40 AM   #17
bizalich
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
my moto

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagfish View Post
Thanks for the advice! Do you have any pictures of your bike that you want to share?

Does your seat pan go all the way to the front of the seat?

Not sure how I feel about rewiring the whole thing. Although the connectors on the current bike are pretty tired and it's probably not too much more work to make a new harness vs. trying to make the old harness fit the new turn signals, lights, and speedo I plan to put in.
hey man: here are some pics of my bike that i snapped last week with the cell. they are not really specific to the seat/seatpan, but if you want, just ask and i will take some specific seat/seatpan/tank photos. FYI, i dont really have a "seatpan"... the bottom of my seat is a solid formed unit, but it comes off the frame with 4 loctite screws--there are studs coming off the seat, and they connect thru tabs in the frame. the underside of the passenger area of the seat has a scoop cut out for the rear wheel at full suspension compression.

For the wiring, i have never done it either, and it does seem like it would be kinda daunting. However, from looking over my "simplified" wiring that the London boys did, it does look suprisingly straighforward. I can take some pics of the inside of my headlight, and you can compare that to a stock /5 headlight and see the difference.

Also, for more inspiration, check out the bmw that La Corona motorcycles did... pretty clean and fresh. The non-bmw tank kills it for me, but the rest of it is pretty well done.

bizalich screwed with this post 05-30-2013 at 09:56 AM
bizalich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:55 PM   #18
lagfish OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
That's a clean looking bike! I'm digging how the gold pinstripping is picking up the patina of the badge. Do you have any issues with the battery placed under the transmission with regards to dirt and rain?

Do you know where I can pick up a repro /5 headlight bucket?

I'm thinking of using something like these for the seat mounts:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-vi...mounts/=mzem33

I think what makes the most sense for me is for the wiring is to modify the stock harness. I've given up on the idea of trying to keep parts unmodified so that I can convert it back to stock in the future. The original purchase price of the bike will be a small fraction of the labor I will put into it so I'm going to commit to this customization and do whatever is needed.

I've got like 50 different bikes I've saved into a folder for inspiration and the La Corona bike is definitely one of them.
lagfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:12 AM   #19
bizalich
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagfish View Post
That's a clean looking bike! I'm digging how the gold pinstripping is picking up the patina of the badge. Do you have any issues with the battery placed under the transmission with regards to dirt and rain?

Do you know where I can pick up a repro /5 headlight bucket?

I'm thinking of using something like these for the seat mounts:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-vi...mounts/=mzem33

I think what makes the most sense for me is for the wiring is to modify the stock harness. I've given up on the idea of trying to keep parts unmodified so that I can convert it back to stock in the future. The original purchase price of the bike will be a small fraction of the labor I will put into it so I'm going to commit to this customization and do whatever is needed.

I've got like 50 different bikes I've saved into a folder for inspiration and the La Corona bike is definitely one of them.
hey: thanks! yes, i originally wanted to paint the tank, or strip all paint and clear coat it, or something... but my girlfriend talked me down from that ledge and pointed out that this is the original paint, and the bike has been in my family since it was new. so, i left it, and just cleaning the tank when it is dirty and leaving the patina.

anyway, i have not had any ill effects of the battery placement. the top shelf of the battery box does collect a fair amount of road dirt and now there is some rear transmission seal leaking, so the oil that drips down catches the dirt. The good part is that the design is so open, that i just reach under there with a rag and wipe it clean. When we rode it from London to Italy, we did like 4 days in pouring rain... no problems.

as far as the /5 headlight bucket--i've got no idea. The guys at Untitled Motorcycles keep it a pretty closely guarded secret, for some reason. it is definitely not a BMW part--maybe Ural? sorry i cant help you on that-- but maybe if you called them they would sell you one? PM me if you want their info.

i think your seat mount idea could work good... perhaps better than the solid-mount that i have. i don't notice much vibration through the seat, but damping-mounts couldnt hurt. i can take a picture of the seat mounts and post them.

the only thing i would say about my seat is that the foam is too soft. it was cut from the original foam, then a thin new layer put on top, then the leather cover... this saves cost, saves time, etc... but I would like to have a firmer foam. I weigh 175 lbs with riding gear. For most of the riding i do, it is not that big of a deal, but the padding is not my friend after 5--6 hours in a day. in fact, in the pictures above, you can see where the foam is starting to pack out from my thighs. so, the take-away is think about the type of riding you are doing, and get a seat that works for you.

and also, i too had a ton of different bikes and designs in a folder that i had gathered over a couple years... then i moved to europe, sold all my stuff, live in a small apartment now. so, instead of attempting the customization myself, it made sense to have Untitled do it. Props again for taking on the project!
bizalich is offline   Reply With Quote