User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2013, 10:13 AM   #1
Bear Creek West OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Minimum tread on TKC 80's

I'm quickly burning through my first set of TKC 80's. I'm wondering how far to run down the rear tire - any idea at what tread depth these start to get sketchy?
I haven't measured the lugs but I would guess I have about 20% of the lug depth remaining.
Thoughts?
Bear Creek West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:26 AM   #2
Mtl_Biker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
I've only got just over 3,000 km on my first set of TKC80's and already I'm starting to get a bit worried about the rear tire. The front still looks pretty much new. Several people have suggested that the rear only lasts about 5k km and that the front does double that.

I also think that since most of my use so far has been on pavement and worse, on the highway, the tire wears faster than if used mostly on dirt.

I have an all day off-road class on Sunday and a 2 hour trip there and back and probably after that I'll have to replace the tire. Since I plan on doing that myself (or at least attempting to do it myself) I will pick up a new tire soon so that I could compare the tread depths. And have a replacement ready.

How much mileage do you have on your tires and what kind of riding has it been?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Creek West View Post
I'm quickly burning through my first set of TKC 80's. I'm wondering how far to run down the rear tire - any idea at what tread depth these start to get sketchy?
I haven't measured the lugs but I would guess I have about 20% of the lug depth remaining.
Thoughts?
#6 2011 BMW K1300GT (sold)
#7 2011 Triumph Tiger 800 (sold)
#8 2013 BMW F800GS Kalamata Metallic
Mtl_Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:11 PM   #3
Bear Creek West OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm at about 4500 km - 90% on pavement. Will be ordering a new one shortly... Changing tires isn't too hard, but I'd highly reccomend a wire fish thingy to attach to the valve stem and help pull it through the rim. This was the hardest part of he tire change by far.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:00 PM   #4
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,346
Why are you buying TKC 80 when 90% of your riding is on pavement?

There are better tires for your kind of riding.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:34 PM   #5
fractalsource
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
TKC 80's? On my 85 hp F8. 60% street. 40 dirt.
I got about 3,000 miles out of mine.
I thought they had wear lines on them. My rear TKC 80 had a single block of rubber that was odd on the pattern. That was the wear line.

I remember being excited to switch to heidenau k60's.
I'm now running them on to 5,000 miles.
Looks like they have a ways to go.

I Miss the TKC 80's front when in the dirt.

Low sided the other night in some fresh mud going uphill at 20 mph, right after a rainstorm. Always the front tire slipping out. I can handle a back end fish tail. - No significant damage noted on the bike. (oh, yeah, or me)

The heidenau k60's are no good for the hard core dirt stuff. Nice on the road. Nice on the gravel and and dry hard pack, but suck in the mud.

I'm looking to go back to a knobby. Probly gonna try Kenda big blocks next.
I'd rather put up with a little extra vibration on the pavement and feel safe on the dirt then give it all up for a nice smooth freeway ride.

fractalsource screwed with this post 05-10-2013 at 10:39 PM
fractalsource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:55 PM   #6
holckster
dougholck

Oddometer: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorebutt View Post

Maybe he just likes the way they look on a Dual Sport bike?
I do too, but prefer the Tourance for pavement.

Just ordered 2 sets of Mitas E-07 Dual Sport tires for myself and a buddy for upcoming Alaska trip.
http://www.mx1canada.com/mitas-adven...-safari-tires/
50/50 tire, currently only available thru Canada, shipping is $65 for 4 tires to Calif.

04 BMW 1150GS Adventure
08 DR650
02 BMW K1200LTe
05 Yamaha TW200
BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

holckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:34 AM   #7
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,346
I run a K60 on the back and a TKC 80 on the front. That combo works well. I"m approaching 8000 miles on the TKC 80.

The K60 is a tubless tire and has a stiff sidewall. I have found if you reduce the air pressure down to about 25 psi when off road the performance is greatly improved. It is better than a half worn out TCK 80.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:48 AM   #8
epicxcrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 616
I'm thinking of switching out my front k60 for a tkc, I need a bit more grip offroad.
epicxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:03 AM   #9
rageabout
Say my name

Oddometer: 189
Ive run about 4 sets of TKCs on my bike. You can run down the rear until the knobs are gone but the front is the bigger issue. The front starts to cup the tread and develop a wobble long before the tread is worn down. I typically replace the front and rear at the same time.
rageabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:11 AM   #10
Bear Creek West OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by holckster View Post
Maybe he just likes the way they look on a Dual Sport bike?
I do too, but prefer the Tourance for pavement.

Just ordered 2 sets of Mitas E-07 Dual Sport tires for myself and a buddy for upcoming Alaska trip.
http://www.mx1canada.com/mitas-adven...-safari-tires/
50/50 tire, currently only available thru Canada, shipping is $65 for 4 tires to Calif.
It's absolutely about the look! I also occasionally spray my bike down with mud to really boost my 'cred' at the coffee shop!

The E-07 looks like a good compromise - could be good for my nfld trip this summer.
Thanks for the info.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:16 AM   #11
Bear Creek West OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fractalsource View Post
TKC 80's? On my 85 hp F8. 60% street. 40 dirt.
I got about 3,000 miles out of mine.
I thought they had wear lines on them. My rear TKC 80 had a single block of rubber that was odd on the pattern. That was the wear line.

I remember being excited to switch to heidenau k60's.
I'm now running them on to 5,000 miles.
Looks like they have a ways to go.

I Miss the TKC 80's front when in the dirt.

Low sided the other night in some fresh mud going uphill at 20 mph, right after a rainstorm. Always the front tire slipping out. I can handle a back end fish tail. - No significant damage noted on the bike. (oh, yeah, or me)

The heidenau k60's are no good for the hard core dirt stuff. Nice on the road. Nice on the gravel and and dry hard pack, but suck in the mud.

I'm looking to go back to a knobby. Probly gonna try Kenda big blocks next.
I'd rather put up with a little extra vibration on the pavement and feel safe on the dirt then give it all up for a nice smooth freeway ride.
Glad to hear the low side was uneventful - I'm going to go look for the wear block on my rear tire. I'm with you all the way on sacrificing highway smoothness for security in the dirt. Thanks.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:30 PM   #12
BMW_BIKER_KEITH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
I agree with fact that the Heidi's just dont work all that well off road. They are great for road riding tho. Anyway, I want the best possible traction when off road, so I have switched back to a TKC rear, and a Scoprioin Rally front. They aint gonna last long, but I just have to accept that. Actually, the rear Heidi I removed sill has plently of miles left. It's sitting in the garage.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:46 PM   #13
jengel451
1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Oddometer: 554
After riding a bunch of off road with the TKC80 front and rear, i'm thinking of ditching them.

They are really REALLY capable on the asphalt, they turn really nice and slide predictably.

For a random dirt road or fire trail, I think they are fine. Or if you're looking for longevity.

On loose gravel they are dodgy, and give you absolutely zero confidence when going into a curve/trun. Yesterday I hit some mud on a downhill and the bike took me for a ride, I was just a passenger with no control.

On my Adventured XR650R I ran an MX51 front and a Desert IT in the rear. I don't think they'd be a good choice for a bike this heavy though.

I'm really thinking about going with an MT21 up front and a D606 in the rear for the next round. Sure they probably won't last that long, but i'm used to going through tires quick. If I can get 1000 miles out of a rear i'll be happy.
jengel451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:47 AM   #14
Geoffster
Fool - Born This Way

Oddometer: 1,359
Search ADVrider and you'll find that the MT21 - D606 pairing is very well respected, especially in the western U.S.

Consider this before arguing with me:
You're an idiot if you argue with a fool!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffster/sets/
Geoffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:37 AM   #15
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorebutt View Post

The problem with most 60/40 or 50/50 tyres is the designers assume your ride will be along a road where in every 100 metres, there are 60 metres of bitumen and 40 metres of dirt, repeated over and over. It doesn't work like that - for most 50/50 riders, that means commuting mid-week and all-dirt adventures weekends and holidays. Distance-wise, this works out to about 90/10 for me, but that 10 demands proper traction, not a half-street, confidence-sapping compromise.

YMMV.