Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2013, 04:50 PM   #16
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Didn't read other replies, don't have time.

I get 3,000-3,500 miles out of my TKC 80s, I run them down to there is essentially zero center lug tread and swap out. The front I get 5-7,000 out of before going to a new one.

I do not air down, I run 32 PSI front/rear in both. I am now running a TKC 80 front and a K60 rear. First time on a K60 so I have no longevity reports. It is not as good as the TKC but the front rear combo suffices. I still burn up stuff just fine with it. I bet that 90% of the riders that state the TKCs are the only off road option need some better training on their machines. K60s suck in mud, but so does a TKC (you're driving a 450lb moto....) I ride 40/60 off road/on road because I bought a purpose built off road machine.

So far I am pleased with this combo, less road vibration and better tread life, reduced off road capability but it honestly is not that much... a near bald TKC is worse than a K60 any day!
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:13 PM   #17
TheCowboy
back in the saddle again

Oddometer: 605
TKC wear

On my 8th or 9th set. Get 6,000 rear, 10,000 front. Run em at 45 psi on pave, 30 on dirt/gravel. Love em.

TheCowboy
TheCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:57 PM   #18
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCowboy View Post
On my 8th or 9th set. Get 6,000 rear, 10,000 front. Run em at 45 psi on pave, 30 on dirt/gravel. Love em.

TheCowboy
That seems a little high pressure to me. I find the center wears fast at 38-42 psi. I also find that they do much better on dirt and gravel if I reduce pressure to around 25-28 psi.

A lot depends on the type of surface you ride, but I find many people put too much air in their tires for off road.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:24 PM   #19
Morro
like a ship in the night

Oddometer: 233
I just came across this thread. I have a tkc80 on the front of my r80g/s so went out for a look. On the sidewall high near the blocks in very small letters next to a small triangle are the letters twi (tyre wear indicator - I think). It appears three times around the tyre. In between the blocks on the tread at this point is a raised section (hard to see sometimes) and from memory is the very minimum wear limit of the tyre. I am pretty sure all tyres have this on them.

Morro
Morro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:02 PM   #20
Bear Creek West OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Thanks for the feedback - found the little wear bars. Looks like I'll get just over 5k for my rear. The front still looks darn near new. I'll likely get another TKC as I'm happy with the feel on and off road.
Bear Creek West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:50 PM   #21
G-Mac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by holckster View Post
Maybe he just likes the way they look on a Dual Sport bike?
I do too, but prefer the Tourance for pavement.

Just ordered 2 sets of Mitas E-07 Dual Sport tires for myself and a buddy for upcoming Alaska trip.
http://www.mx1canada.com/mitas-adven...-safari-tires/
50/50 tire, currently only available thru Canada, shipping is $65 for 4 tires to Calif.
You'll like the Mitas E-07 rear, and E-10 front, had mine for about 1200km like them so far, good road manners nice in the dirt. My KLR had MT21's loved them, but they where too quick.
2002 XR250R Dirty Girl so fun to ride
1997 KLR 650 miss the old girl. Never washed!
G-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:31 AM   #22
b-crow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Finally Morro answered the question! The Continental web site says 2mm for general tread depth, but that seems a bit low for the TKC80. My front tire still looks great, but my back tire is getting squared off from too much tarmac. It still grips well on/off, but I'm starting to get nervous every time I look at it. Now I'm going to go look for the wear indicator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morro View Post
I just came across this thread. I have a tkc80 on the front of my r80g/s so went out for a look. On the sidewall high near the blocks in very small letters next to a small triangle are the letters twi (tyre wear indicator - I think). It appears three times around the tyre. In between the blocks on the tread at this point is a raised section (hard to see sometimes) and from memory is the very minimum wear limit of the tyre. I am pretty sure all tyres have this on them.

Morro
b-crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:53 PM   #23
RexBuck
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 977
On my third set of TKC80s front and rear and like them. Had a couple of sets of Heidenau rear / TKC80 front and while the Heidy lasted a long time, it was squirly on anything wet - pavement, rocks and dirt. TKC80 much better. I get 12-14,000 kms on the front and 7-9,000 kms on the rear. Replace when close to or just past the wear bars.

The TKC80 is great on pavement and I'm willing to give up some longevity in return for good performance in wet conditions.
www.rexbuck.com - RexBuck's Latin America
RexBuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:16 AM   #24
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,189
So...who cheats measuring tread depth on cupped front knobs?

Fred
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote