Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-24-2013, 07:40 AM   #1
MrMac OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
USGS Topo data on Android and IPhone

Here is an article on how to use USGS topographic map data with your hand-held devices:

http://www.usgs.gov/core_science_sys...article-1.html

Feedback welcome!
Old 05-04-2014, 03:12 AM   #2
Scubatoe
Trained monkey

Oddometer: 190
Thanks for posting this. I've been trying to find my property boundary using my plat map and gps with iffy result (mostly because i refuse to shell out to Garmin for a larger scale topo map) so I can start building some riding trails.

This link started me down the road that eventually led me to a site where I could download a 1:2500 hybrid sat/topo map with private property boundaries.

www.mytopo.com

Not affiliated. They sell custom printed maps, but also provide you a free, downloadable digital preview before you spend any money. During the process of ordering a printed map, I noticed a link to an app that uses the same map data:

Trimble Outdoors Navigator

Haven't had a chance yet to put it through the paces, but it seems to have everything I need to find and mark my boundary, and start planning trail routes.
Scubatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:19 AM   #3
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMac View Post
Here is an article on how to use USGS topographic map data with your hand-held devices:

http://www.usgs.gov/core_science_sys...article-1.html

Feedback welcome!
I've been using your map data in Oruxmaps, Osmand+, and LocusPro for a little while, and really enjoy having it as a source. Thanks for the write up, hopefully more folks will realize just how many resources are available for mapping data and applications, right there on their phone !
Old 05-06-2014, 04:41 PM   #4
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Oddometer: 1,822
thanks for sharing the link..
11 Husqvarna TE630- sold
08 Husqvarna TE510- sold
Fast1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:33 PM   #5
the venturer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,409
Any offline topo maps for Europe and Turkey?
Thx
the venturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:14 PM   #6
MrMac OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubatoe View Post
Thanks for posting this. I've been trying to find my property boundary using my plat map and gps with iffy result (mostly because i refuse to shell out to Garmin for a larger scale topo map) so I can start building some riding trails.

This link started me down the road that eventually led me to a site where I could download a 1:2500 hybrid sat/topo map with private property boundaries.

www.mytopo.com

Not affiliated. They sell custom printed maps, but also provide you a free, downloadable digital preview before you spend any money. During the process of ordering a printed map, I noticed a link to an app that uses the same map data:

Trimble Outdoors Navigator

Haven't had a chance yet to put it through the paces, but it seems to have everything I need to find and mark my boundary, and start planning trail routes.
Scubatoe, not sure what county in NV you are in, but there is always a chance your local GIS department can provide you with boundary data and possibly a decent basemap to go with it. Format depends on what GPS device or app you are using.. The locals are almost always the authoritative source for parcel data and would likely be the most current. The mytopo folks probably acquire the data from them or a third party integrator anyway. Keep in mind though, that 'pins on the ground' will always be the official boundary, so even GIS data from the county is not going to be as good as a professional survey.

MrMac screwed with this post 05-08-2014 at 07:22 PM
MrMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 12:43 PM   #7
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,830
Thanks for the link. I have been using the Android app Backcountry Navigator with good success. It provides access to maps around the world but the USGS approach is worth a look.
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote