User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2013, 02:01 PM   #1
mbabc OP
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,690
2013 Romey Cycles Ride-n-camp v. 2

Here's a little ride report about a ride Anthony (keeponriding) and I took to the second annual Romney Cycles "ride-n-camp" held the weekend of May 4th in Romney, WV.

Romney Cycles is a huge multi-line dealer not too far from the DC metroplex and as a way to say thanks to the adventure riding community they had a mini rally last year. It was pretty well attended and everyone had a great time so they decided to do it again this Spring. Dirtdad was spreading the word on advrider, stromtroopers and the yamahasupertenere forums.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=838918

We both have pretty full summers planned with family stuff so this was a great chance to visit a part of WV we hadn't ridden before. We decicided to leave Thursday morning to make it a full 4 day ride and to take in some extra sights.

Another bonus was that it was also Kentucky Derby weekend in Louisville and that's always a good time to get out of town. I tend to leave Derby for the tourists and blow town every year.

Here's my Tenere all set to go...

Met up over at Anthony's place to set off. We both have the faster blue ones...

Anthony dicking around. Come on dude, let's roll!

We took the interstate to Lexington and then state highways up to Maysville where we crossed the Ohio.

Fuel stop for the bikes...

Fuel stop for us along the river at a very nice winery restaurant. Only place we ate on the trip with linen napkins.

We crossed into WV at Gallipolis and took 33/119 towards our first nights camp at Tygarts Lake State Park. Great roads but we did find lot's of locals who drive 20 mph under the speed limit. Also some road repair along the way.

After a 430 mile first day we were ready to kick back. We had the campground to ourselves.

Being Kentucky boys we had to bring along some of home with us...

Anthony's fed, showered, relaxed and get'in his drink on...

Next up we ride up into Maryland to visit Antietam and on to Romney.
Little Blue goes looking for Orange
mbabc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:04 PM   #2
Scotty P
Funny like a Moran

Oddometer: 10,944

subscribed!
Scotty P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:23 PM   #3
Dirt_Dad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
I'm in.
2008 Yamaha WR250R
Dirt_Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:29 PM   #4
RoyQ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,088
"I Know Mo"

too
WERA Expert #826
RoyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:41 PM   #5
mbabc OP
Curmudgeon trainee

Day 2...

We got up up and going fairly early Friday.

Tale of the tape day 1...

Anthony impressed me with his 'leave no trace' style of motorcycle camping. He used freeze dried backpacking meals for dinner and rehydrated his morning oatmeal by pouring boiling water directly into the oatmeal package. I think he avoided washing any dishes the whole trip. I on the other hand ate Vienna sausages, ramen and generally made a mess. I'm also a former KLR rider so that should explain everything.

We were pretty beat getting into camp last night so we decided to fuel up Friday AM. As we headed east on 50 from Tygarts Lake we were really getting low on gas when we spotted this cool little trading post, the Cool Springs Park store. Off to the side they had tons of neat old machines. Half of them looked steam powered. Wish we would have looked around more outside...

Even saw a poster of my old Uncle Antis back home...

It was a beautiful morning and traffic was very light. Great day to be riding.

We did see these state hwy. trucks pretty often...

What are those things on the horizon??

Windmills. Cool! We burn coal back home...

The Mt. Storm windmill farm I believe. We'd get much closer tomorrow but this morning we're headed more north, but first a real breakfast...

This store had everything. A great grill, hardware store and a pretty complete gun section. We both bought chances on an AR they were raffeling off for charity. Hope I win!

Next we head to Antietam.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:48 AM   #6
keeponriding
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Homemade breakfast and guns...if they had sold beer, it would have been perfect!

Fortunately for us, they wouldn't let us buy a gun and leave with it....
Old 05-11-2013, 08:43 PM   #7
mbabc OP
Curmudgeon trainee

Day 2 continued...

After the breakfast at the cool diner/hardware/gun shop we started to head north into Maryland.

Fantastic riding! Perfect weather!

We crossed the Potomac at Green Spring, WV on this wooden toll bridge. I was generous and picked up the $1.00 toll for 2 motorcycles.

Crossed back into WV at Paw Paw. I think we crossed back and forth from WV to MD about 10 times that day. Beautiful small villages like Great Cacapon and Berkley Springs. Here's the overlook above Great Cacapon...

A Civil War buffs paradise...

Here was the goal of the afternoon. The Antietam Battlefield in MD. We took in the ranger's lecture before we rode the battlefield highlight tour...

Looking down the 'sunken road'...

"Ride to the sound of the guns" Anthony sez...

The Burnside bridge. Can't imagine trying to cross it with the Confederates shooting down from this hill...

After Antietam we decide to bypass Harpers Ferry as originally planned and beat a direct route to Romney.

Tale of the tape day 2...

What a great setup. A beautiful park like lawn behind the dealership to pitch our tents...

The hi-tech shower facilities. They setup 2 of these instant hot water propane water heater things. The 2X4 and plywood shower stalls were perfect and very much appreciated.

Here's the coffee hut and gadget charging station. Romney Cycles even supplied coolers with ice & water. Above and beyond again guys!

Here's Larry (center) and friends. Larry was our pointman from Romney Cycles. We really can't thanks him enough for all he and the whole staff did for us.

Here's Kevin, the owner of Romney Cycles. Thanks again and what a beautiful dealership! I'll definitely shop them for my next bike.

Lot's of good conversation...

Great to checkout the different ways riders outfitted their bikes.

All types of bikes represented...

Lot's of stroms...

Met lots of great folks. Of course I hardly remember any names. Hey! Is he giving me the finger?

Battle scooter!

Now this is kind of difficult to show, but Anthony ran out of Kentucky bourbon and had to settle for this Tennessee swill.

He felt bad about it...

but he got over it...

Some folks went into town for dinner but we fired up our stoves and ate in camp. Romney Cycles had this great area for a fire and supplied wood. Even had old broken oak pallets to burn. Great stories around the fire and one feller' from PA even brought some homemade corn liquor...

It was a chilly night and I'm glad I brought my down bag.

Tomorrow we ride!

mbabc screwed with this post 05-11-2013 at 09:04 PM Reason: spelking errer...
Old 05-12-2013, 04:03 AM   #8
Dirt_Dad
Gnarly Adventurer

I can't believe they doubled the price on the wooded bridge. That's a favorite of mine.

Great report, keep it coming...
2008 Yamaha WR250R

Dirt_Dad screwed with this post 05-12-2013 at 06:35 AM
Old 05-12-2013, 09:48 AM   #9
RedRockRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
The wooden toll bridge is cool. Hats off to Romney Cycles. Good move on their part!

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:01 PM   #10
mbabc OP
Curmudgeon trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt_Dad View Post
I can't believe they doubled the price on the wooded bridge. That's a favorite of mine.

Great report, keep it coming...
My bad Jon.

I picked up the tab for 2 bikes @ 50˘ each. Still a bargain.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #11
Dirt_Dad
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbabc View Post
My bad Jon.

I picked up the tab for 2 bikes @ 50˘ each. Still a bargain.
No, I understood. Last time I crossed it, probably back last fall is was still $.25 per bike. This is an outrage, I need to fire off an angry letter.

That bridge actually get a surprising amount of traffic. Even with a 100% increase in toll I still don't see how they make enough to pay someone to sit in the booth and still cover maintenance and whatever else they have in overhead. Fun bridge, I always enjoy it.
2008 Yamaha WR250R
Old 05-12-2013, 08:57 PM   #12
mbabc OP
Curmudgeon trainee

Day 3 - Group ride day...

Dawned cool and cloudy Saturday morning...

Dirt_Dad shows some of todays proposed roads...

More bike pics Saturday AM...

Lube the chain time...

Trail clearing tool...

Nice farkle...

Now this is the way to camp. Tom's rig...

Tom (left) gather those of us doing the easy dirt route this morning...

Anthony puts on his game face...

but before we ride...we eat!

On the road...

Tom found this road that we thought went through. Here's the vid BadKarmaPa shot...

One of the other groups comes along...

Another beautiful day...

We make a stop at Blackwater Falls...

Woods rats on the way into the state park...

Honda Civics...

We rode up to Mt. Storm and then over to the ski resort country and of course found a nice place to eat...

On the road again...

Smith Mountain Rd. Highlight of the ride for me.

Back towards Romney...

Awesome riding!

What a great day exploring West Virginia. Thanks to all who laid out and lead us today!

Back at Romney Cycles. Anthony has no shame...

Talking about todays adventure back at camp...

Larry and Kevin ring the dinner bell.

Romney Cycles put on a great chicken dinner. Thanks again guys.

Camp lion...

Great chow...

Romney Cycles is going to send us event T-shirts. Riders sign up sheet...

Anthony and I hit the South Branch Motel in town for Saturday night 'cause we're old and needed a warm nights sleep before we ride 500+ miles back to Louisville.
Very nice place with some great Civil War art prints in the lobby. Continental breakfast starts at 5:30AM.

Tomorrow we ride home.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:03 PM   #13
mbabc OP
Curmudgeon trainee

Day 4 - The ride home...

OK, let's finish up this ride report.

Mileage day 3. This is 20 or so miles light. I didn't reset the odo till we were on the road a bit.

We were up at 6 or so Sunday and got some coffee in the motel lobby. As a gift, Anthony left a half pint of that Tennessee turpentine that he had leftover.

Anthony always had to wait on me as I fiddled with this or that.

Typical hurry up pose directed at me...

My usual response was "you better just get a chair 'cause I'm gonna be awhile!" We rolled out at 7:30 or so.

I planned the route from Louisville to Romney and Anthony took over the ride back. He had us routed down to Seneca Rock, the radio observatory at Green Bank, New River Gorge etc.

It was really cold when we rolled out and we rode a hour or better before our now usual big breakfast.

On the road to Seneca Rocks...

We pulled over at the little gift shop at Seneca Rocks to take a break and so Anthony could dig out from his instrument cluster the little song bird he murdered...

Kinda' hard to get a good pic of the Rocks...

Spring's just coming in the upper elevations...

Green Bank...

New River Gorge Bridge...

We motored along the Kanawha River awhile but it was a 55mph section and every mile or so a little town with a 35mph speed limit. It was getting early afternoon by then and we have 4 hours or better to go till home so we jumped on I-64 at Charleston.

After a lunch stop and because Anthony's Sargent seat was giving him fits, we decided to check the radar for the rain we know we'll heading into. Looks bad and we button up tight for the rain.

The rain starts just past the Kentucky state line and it's a cold steady rain almost all the way back home...

Anthony forgot his electrics and is missing them...

I had my liner and gloves on full blast. The gloves leaked but my hands were warm.

Anthony's leather gloves were soaked and at this last gas stop he bought some cheap mechanic's gloves and borrowed some rubber overgloves from me for the home stretch.

Total for the ride home...

Final total for the weekend. 1476 miles.

Rolled in at about 6:30, great final day except the last 3 hours or so.

I was also very happy with my Tenere all weekend. It did everything I could have asked for in an adventure touring bike plus more. It ran that trail on Saturday (video on day 3) and then 85 in the rain on the Interstate the next.

Thanks to Anthony for being a great riding partner and to the folks at Romney Cycles for having the 'Camp-n-Ride' weekend at their dealership. I really hope they continue it and I'll be back!

Also a big shout out to Dirt_Dad (Jon) for being the detail guy between the rally participants and Romney Cycles. He did a great job organizing this and planning the routes. I've organized and scouted the routes for a couple weekend rides before so I know how much time and effort it really takes.

Thanks again!

mbabc screwed with this post 05-13-2013 at 08:18 PM
Old 05-13-2013, 05:15 PM   #14
Dirt_Dad
Gnarly Adventurer

Fantastic ride report...and thanks for the shout out. You're right, there is some effort on my part, but honestly working with such a willing partner as Romney makes my effort as easy as it could possibly be. Let's face it, scouting roads is just a good excuse to ride in that fantastic part of WV. Hard to call that a chore.

Really awesome pictures you have there. Must admit I kinda regret making the video too soon. You have a real treasure trove of good stuff.

Thanks for the ride report. Really enjoyed it. Pleasure to meet you and Anthony. Hope to see you again next year.
2008 Yamaha WR250R
Old 05-14-2013, 05:31 AM   #15
keeponriding
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Great ride report, Mark. Kinda wish we could do it again. As you can tell from Mark's pics...Terrific roads in WV.

Guess we'll have to wait until next year. We already talked about approaching from the south heading across the VA panhandle, over to Appomattox (continuing our Civil War history tour) then across the ridges to Romney.

Mark neglected to mention the most important lesson learned; always start out with a full bottle of bourbon.

Anthony