ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2013, 07:02 PM   #1
Capt.saveaho OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
I need y'all's tracks

So I'm attempting to ride from highway 4 (Arnold, Dorrington area) to highway 108/Sonora pass all dirt, not to worried about where we end up on 108. I have taken a look on google maps but no success. I'm trying to do a prerun this weekend for a ride at a later date. Here's my email if you have any advice liveridebehappy@gmail.com

Thanks in advance
Erik.
Capt.saveaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:46 PM   #2
Speed Racer
Falling is bad

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.saveaho View Post
So I'm attempting to ride from highway 4 (Arnold, Dorrington area) to highway 108/Sonora pass all dirt, not to worried about where we end up on 108. I have taken a look on google maps but no success. I'm trying to do a prerun this weekend for a ride at a later date. Here's my email if you have any advice liveridebehappy@gmail.com

Thanks in advance
Erik.
I'll look to see if I kept my tracks. One thing to consider is the tracks definitely have a short shelf life when talking about logging roads. We supposedly were following tracks only to find the road was no longer there. You definitely can't use the "roads" included in any Garmin product. The roads may or may not exist. We made it, though, and I'll send the tracks if I have them.

Good luck.

Is the petcock on?

Speed Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:57 PM   #3
Ravenslair
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Cannot help with tracks, but have a family cabin off Boards Crossing just up from the river. That would be a great area to start.
Ravenslair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:10 PM   #4
Speed Racer
Falling is bad

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Racer View Post
I'll look to see if I kept my tracks. One thing to consider is the tracks definitely have a short shelf life when talking about logging roads. We supposedly were following tracks only to find the road was no longer there. You definitely can't use the "roads" included in any Garmin product. The roads may or may not exist. We made it, though, and I'll send the tracks if I have them.

Good luck.
pm sent

Is the petcock on?

Speed Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:13 PM   #5
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,487
There are 2 heavily used roads between Boards Crossing and Beardsley res. Hells Half Acre aka 5n02 or 5N14, a higher elevation road, that starts and ends off 5n02. Last year the first 10 miles of that road was paved.

Look out for logging trucks.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:41 PM   #6
Capt.saveaho OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenslair View Post
Cannot help with tracks, but have a family cabin off Boards Crossing just up from the river. That would be a great area to start.
I have a cabin in Pinebrook, off of Moran road. I really should know the area better but I am usually skiing when I go up there.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:32 PM   #7
Capt.saveaho OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well we made it, conditions were pretty awesome, my buddy managed to rip a hole in his brand new rear tire which cause quite a bit of problems but it was a success. Thanks again for the tracks, we are going to try and go from 4 to 80 next.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:09 AM   #8
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,018
That will be more difficult considering the trail/road closures through "meadows" in the Eldorado National Forest. Blue Lakes Road from 4 up to 88 is closed because of that. 88 north to 50 is also impacted, but not as much. You won't be able to get through on the east side of Carson Pass. There is a road that goes north from the Caltrans yard nearby Caples Lake, but I don't know for sure if that has been closed, too. Once north of 50, you have to contend with Desolation Wilderness, so you'll be traversing more to the west, going near Ice House, Union Valley, Hell Hole and French Meadows Reservoirs. I believe the tracks for the Pacific Crest Quest are still valid between 50 and 80.

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote