ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Pics, pics, pics...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2011, 05:00 PM   #1
Steelybeast OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 551
Barber Museum - Virtual Tour

I have been to the Barber Museum a couple of times and for those who have not been, it's an incredible experience. There is an average of 600+ bikes and cars on display at any given time and that many still being restored.

Being a motorcycle enthusiast, I have a fascination with all kinds of bikes and from the engineering invented through the years to turn a bicycle into a motorized mode of transportation, to the ultimate turbo charged superbike.

Mr. Barber has assembled what I think is a the ultimate collection of these examples.

My intentions was to photograph all I could during my last trip, so I could review it later to study the bikes. For each bike I looked at, I tried to captured the place card, a couple of pictures of the bike with one being a close up of the engine and maybe some other angle I wanted to see. Some bikes are of course are on a shelf or rack, or based on the display, not as easy to get as many angles as I wanted, so only took one picture.

Since ADV Rider has a world wide following, I know there are many who will never have the opportunity to visit this spectacular place, so below is the links to my Picasa photo albums in case anyone is interested.

Due to it's size & your bandwidth, it could take some time to load the first screen of thumbnails. Easiest way to go through them is pick the 1st picture, then use the right arrow key for next one.

If you are within a days drive of this museum, and have been trying to decide if you want the Barber experience, this should help you make the decision to go

David

Barber one

Barber two

Barber three
2008 Kawasaki Versys (past)
Two-Up, Two-Wheels, Two-gether:Switzerland

Steelybeast screwed with this post 07-22-2011 at 03:47 AM
Steelybeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 05:12 PM   #2
unlawfulsm
Bearded Hooligan

Oddometer: 554
It is a great place and I appreciate the time it took to compile your photo tour, but just to be sure that others understand the museum. Every time that I have been their they will start and run any of the exotica that is found in the museum and it is musical and magical at the same time. If you can, do whatever it takes to make the trip to Barber. They make one off parts and you can watch the process and the sheer magnitude of the place is magnificent. The photo tour is just a tease of what the place is all about. Help keep it open by donating or visiting it yourself.

Use Code- iFRLhicsrl4no

Great Deals on Gear
unlawfulsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 05:21 PM   #3
Steelybeast OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlawfulsm View Post
It is a great place and I appreciate the time it took to compile your photo tour, but just to be sure that others understand the museum. Every time that I have been their they will start and run any of the exotica that is found in the museum and it is musical and magical at the same time. If you can, do whatever it takes to make the trip to Barber. They make one off parts and you can watch the process and the sheer magnitude of the place is magnificent. The photo tour is just a tease of what the place is all about. Help keep it open by donating or visiting it yourself.
I agree with you a 100%. All these photos can never take the place of actually going there and everyone should put this on their "must do" list of things to see.

I am glad we are close enough to experience the dream that Mr. Barber created near Birmingham as there are so many inmates who will never get to see it in person.

Vintage Days are in October and hoping to make it over for that fesrtival.

David
2008 Kawasaki Versys (past)
Two-Up, Two-Wheels, Two-gether:Switzerland
Steelybeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:26 PM   #4
Reverend12
Well there it is..

Oddometer: 1,458
I am a volunteer at Barbers, I work for free and if the truth be known, I'd pay them, this place is incredible...
Reverend12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:26 PM   #5
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,567
There are a few threads about Barbers.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=679453
Old 07-20-2011, 10:47 PM   #6
Hacksaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,159
Thanks for your time and effort in putting all of these pics together. It was great!
Matthew 22:37-39
Jesus replied: "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: "Love your neighbor as yourself."

http://hacksaw.smugmug.com/
Hacksaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:53 PM   #7
California
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,001
Thanks! The Barber has been on my list of "go to" locations, now, thanks to your pictures, it's at the top of the list!

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I
took the one less traveled by,
and that has made all the difference
California is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:41 PM   #8
sealsam
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,835
Mrs. Samthg & I visited the Barber on a beautiful Sunday afternoon this past April. It was more than I could have imagined. Prolly less than 10 people in there that day. It was a great day, so lots of folks out riding I guess.

On our way out I was talking to the dood behind the counter(very nice & informative) and he pointed out that the white haired gentlemen that we kept crossing paths with was none other than Mr. Barber. Apparently he just floats in and out. Wish I would have known!

Mr. Barber thanks for what you have done for our sport. Truely amazing museum. Now, I'm sure I could put together $500-$600 for that sandcast Honda 750.
sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:33 PM   #9
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,201
Barber Motor Sports - Heaven Here (pic heavy)

Many know but some do not - Mr Barber started his mega millions milking cows.

My Bama bride of 23 years asked me "Where again y'all gonna be this weekend?"

"Barber"

She shook a knowledge-less look my way.

"You know him; you drank his milk growing up"

"Ice cream" she elevates

Mr Barber shares our passion for two wheels but has a very, very big tank. I have no affiliation with the exception of leaving some drool on the floor of his museum and some tread on his track. The number I've heard is $65,000,000 and by my eye every penny purposefully perfectly played. I am mostly sure this amount does not include the collection of 1,800 or so bikes / cars; that my friends must near priceless.

The track had just been buffed with massive diamond dust disks. It is 2.4 miles of bending undulation. Love it. The buildings are concrete, steel and glass - just like you'd want. The grounds are immaculate, the terrain is super southern Appalachian - the pre-sea end of this ancient chain. The staff is very professional, even the trash dudes have a certain gentlemanly quality. Heaven? Let's hope.

Hypermofo and I went over for a weekend with Sportbike Track Time. I really love to do this. We set up camp in the paddock and spend a couple of days going as fast as we can (which ain't too fast compared to many,) cooking on the bbq and tossing back a few in the evening. STT does a very nice job running this program and I would recommend them to anyone interested in this kind of adventure.

I went over Friday afternoon to see the collection. I took some pics and they're coming. First, I'm not a photo jockey, Lost would do a much better job of this. None the less, you'll get the idea.

Here is an aerial view from the web. The museum is upper left, our camp bottom center. For those far away FFs this is southeast US, Leeds Alabama, just outside Birmingham, AL (funny no one came up with new names after all the boat rides - tributes?)

No, my bike didn't puke guts.

The museum is 5 stories. The bottom level serves as a restoration center with a mighty fine machine shop. There's a lot to see:

Close ups coming next
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:10 PM   #10
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

The very first (obvious but of course - replica) with a brand new invention - the carb. And some more...

There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:55 AM   #11
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Old 05-11-2013, 06:10 AM   #12
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

This one was built just down the road by a local high school shop class:

San Francisco to New York in about 37 hours:

RTW in a few years:

Sutherngintelmen screwed with this post 05-11-2013 at 06:19 AM
Old 05-11-2013, 06:47 AM   #13
JRose
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 629
Love having this place in my back yard. We go for the AMA and Indy races there, and the whole family loves it.

Can't wait for the Fall Vintage Festival in October!!!
JRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:23 AM   #14
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 3,585
Barber.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:14 AM   #15
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Mr Barber also has a thing for cars, seems to have a penchant for the Lotus