User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2013, 05:58 PM   #1
LostInmate OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Done with winter, moving south.

The wife and I have had it with winter and taxes here in Kentucky. She's done with school (nursing) in two years and we're out. I have a job that will allow me to transfer to Bay Pines, so we're looking somewhere between Tampa and Clearwater to set up shop.

I love riding the back roads here in KY, and as excited as I am to get down there I"m a little worried about what to expect in regards to traffic and places to ride. Two years is a long way out, but we're both very excited about this move and the fishing.

How's the motorcycling down there, both on and off road?
LostInmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
Mugwest

Oddometer: 5,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInmate View Post
The wife and I have had it with winter and taxes here in Kentucky.
No FL state income tax? Check

Enough FEES to make up for lack of said state income tax? CHECK

Welcome to the tax base, mang

Lots of riding down here. 18.5 curves too. We can show you where they are
Old 05-11-2013, 10:12 AM   #3
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
Drivers down here are idiots, and it's not necessarily the old people. Be prepared for people to do stupid things with no warning. Turn signals must be considered an insult in some parts of FL. Traffic is fairly light once you leave the cities. Traffic IN the cities can be pretty bad. FL has mostly straight and flat roads. There are a few exceptions, but it isn't going to be like riding in the hills of KY. We have different scenery too.

There is quite a bit of offroad riding in certain parts of the state. Be careful though, as a lot of the land is privatized. The land that isn't privatized can be a good time. South of Gainesville, it tends to be a lot of sand or mud, with the occasional firm patch thrown in. In the northern part of the state it might be a little different. Lake Wales area has red clay and some gentle hills. We have hard limestone some places on Spacecoast.

If you're going to dualsport down here, you will probably want a few different bikes and a trailer, or a bike that can run both slab and sugarsand. Bikes like the DR650SE or WR250R can eat onroad miles, while still being nimble enough for the sand. Many things down here are far between. The heat and humidity are rough some days, and the summers are long, but you can ride even in the dead of winter here. Stay hydrated and use mesh gear.

The fishing can be awesome, especially if you have a small console offshore boat that can also run shallow.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:33 AM   #4
LostInmate OP
Adventurer

Sounds pretty good..

Thanks for the reply guys, we're still about two years out and plan on making a couple of visits.
Riding all year sounds great, I hate winter here and it seems to drag on and on every year.
I'm seriously excited for the bass fishing and the warm weather.

I'll let you guy know where we decide to land down there, I'm sure I'll have questions.

Thanks, and stay safe.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:16 AM   #5
ineptizoid
Not Mission Capable

Oddometer: 5,146
Quote:
Riding all year sounds great, I hate winter here and it seems to drag on and on every year.
Year-round riding is one of my very favorite things about living in FL, I'm from southeastern VA and completely understand your feelings vis-a-vis winter. I used to cover up my bike and put it in a corner of the garage every year around Thanksgiving, and it was usually sometime around Easter that I started riding again. It truly sucked.

Here on the Panhandle I thoroughly enjoy riding 3 seasons outta 4, and summer riding is tolerable with the previously-mentioned hydration and mesh gear. NIGHT RIDE!!

Everything I really needed to know, I learned in Schneider School.

Official Organizer of the ADVrider Sandbox Hooligans Anti-FEE Movement

Quoth the Photojournalist: Am I gonna be the one that's gonna set them straight? Look at me--WRONG!
ineptizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:29 PM   #6
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
Quote:
Thanks for the reply guys, we're still about two years out and plan on making a couple of visits.
I'm seriously excited for the bass fishing and the warm weather.

I'll let you guy know where we decide to land down there, I'm sure I'll have questions.

Thanks, and stay safe.
Bass fishing is fun and all, but wait until you take a tarpon or mackerel on light tackle, or eat a good fish taco with grilled mahi in it. You might find a new quarry to chase.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:49 PM   #7
DandM
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 668
Heads up:
The left lane is the slow lane down here for some reason. Never seen it until we moved to Floriduh.
DandM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:17 PM   #8
Philip Kuntz
Fleasy Rider

Oddometer: 4,657
Yeah, but every 30 seconds or so, someone comes to a complete stop in the right lane. Really, they are just turning right very slowly. Don't get in a hurry!
Philip Kuntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:58 PM   #9
Bobby Ginger
Cat Herder

Oddometer: 805
Quote:
The wife and I have had it with winter and taxes here in Kentucky. She's done with school (nursing) in two years and we're out. I have a job that will allow me to transfer to Bay Pines, so we're looking somewhere between Tampa and Clearwater to set up shop.

I love riding the back roads here in KY, and as excited as I am to get down there I"m a little worried about what to expect in regards to traffic and places to ride. Two years is a long way out, but we're both very excited about this move and the fishing.

How's the motorcycling down there, both on and off road?
Get off the main roads and traffic is not much of an issue. I do not know why but people love to pass in the right lane(even when the left lane is open) on the super slab. Lots of sand down here, it can be nerve raking for those newbies...like me . But in all seriousness, there is great off roading to be enjoyed.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:43 AM   #10
RBrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
There's not much going on for others here in East, Central (Coastal) Fla, but my wife just retired from nursing and she says that field is wide open here.
Especially for BSN's (4 yr degree)

Good luck with the move.

RB
RBrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:56 AM   #11
Celtic Curmudgeon
Indiana Jones wanabe

Oddometer: 272
Everywhere I've lived has its good and bad. Florida is fine if you're moving here with a job, I moved to Miami right before 9/11 and the job I had fell through, so it was tough for a while. No income tax, good 2nd Ammendment state if that's important to you, good housing is affordable in most places, and decent cigars are abundant!

Florida south of Orlando is more about the destination than the ride itself, hence the popularity of cruisers. There are lots of cool places to visit, but as mentioned above, not as many good "riding roads" as other states. Tampa is a little better than S Florida in that regard, and you're not too far from a good variety of roads in the northern half of the state. There are some decent scenic rides near Volusia County (N of Orlando/W of Daytona). The riding season is backwards here, dry and generally awesome November-April, muggy and miserable July-Sept.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:11 PM   #12
LostInmate OP
Adventurer

you guys are great

Lots of great advice here, thanks a bunch. It was 30 degrees here this morning, make me sick can't wait to leave.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:10 AM   #13
Davidc83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Curmudgeon View Post
Everywhere I've lived has its good and bad. Florida is fine if you're moving here with a job, I moved to Miami right before 9/11 and the job I had fell through, so it was tough for a while. No income tax, good 2nd Ammendment state if that's important to you, good housing is affordable in most places, and decent cigars are abundant!

Florida south of Orlando is more about the destination than the ride itself, hence the popularity of cruisers. There are lots of cool places to visit, but as mentioned above, not as many good "riding roads" as other states. Tampa is a little better than S Florida in that regard, and you're not too far from a good variety of roads in the northern half of the state. There are some decent scenic rides near Volusia County (N of Orlando/W of Daytona). The riding season is backwards here, dry and generally awesome November-April, muggy and miserable July-Sept.
I have a house purchased up around Williston (between Ocala and Gainesville) for retirement (not retired yet) which I visit 3-4 times a year. If you stay off the main highways, you can find decent roads to ride. I have found numerous county roads which (gulp) have curves and a few hills (more like rises and dips), are less traveled, and have some nice scenery (different than Ky, Tn though). If you have a dual sport, Tampa isnt really that far from the Ocala national Forest, which has legal dirt (hard pack sand) roads.
Davidc83 is offline   Reply With Quote