User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2013, 07:42 PM   #166
vicmitch OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
The Ride Continues

When I got to Nashville, my truck wasn't there. One of my drivers had had gotten hit from behind by a drunk driver going 100mph to my drivers 55mph, bending the frame on the truck. i said he could use my truck till his got repaired. he had just left for NY with a load and would not be back for a while. I spent July 4th evve at a free comcert and fireworks display downtown. The concert was by The Band Perry, it was great. The view from the cheap seats wasn't

After the 4th, it rained torrentially until yesterday and I had had enough, I had to get out of there. Yesterday I left Nashville at 3 pm and made it to Tellico Plains, TN by 8:30.

Went to hit the Cherahola Skyway though it was wet from a night of rain.

nice road, first time there, wish it had been dry andI could have turned the wick up.

Stopped for a burger at this place.

Then rode this twisty road with photographers around every corner. it was dry so I was doing some good speed, too good I guess.

I thought they were only there on the weekends.
First time on the whole trip I got pulled over! Just a warning, woohooo.

Continued on more great roads till I got to Shady Valley around 6 pm. Shady Valley is near Bristol, at the intersection of Rt 421 and rt 91. 421 in either direction is amazing and though most riders there are local, It is begining to be a destination, now that the Dragon has gotten so commercial.

Made it to Wythville, VA where I am now. Wythville is where I started one of my first ADV threads http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320984. Seems so long ago.
vicmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:26 AM   #167
Philip Ross
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Happy Birthday dad!! I've been keeping up with your journey, looks like your having a great trip, I'm quite envious. have a safe ride home see you soon.
Philip Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:16 AM   #168
vicmitch OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Ross View Post
Happy Birthday dad!! I've been keeping up with your journey, looks like your having a great trip, I'm quite envious. have a safe ride home see you soon.
Thanks Philip, I didn't even know it was my birthday, I asked someone on Sunday what date it was and they said th e6th so I thought my birthday was Wed. Oh well 53 years old without any fanfare.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:33 AM   #169
vicmitch OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Home

So Tuesday morning I check to see if my pics from the Dragon are up on Killboy's site and I see that it was July 9th, my birthday. Can't believe I'm this freaking old, I was 25 yesterday! I had told my wife that I would be home on my birthday so I rode the last 500 miles on the slab. When I was 5 miles from the Holland tunnel the sky turned black and I got a very wet welcome to NYC. It was still pouring when I got out of the tunnel so I went one block to the Ear Inn where it was bike night and there are usually some inmates there, not tonight, but there were some bikes so I hug around till the rain stopped, getting home around 10:00 pm. No cake, no candles, oh well.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:35 AM   #170
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,569
GOOD STUFF!!! Now go back and show some more pics and tell some more stories! got any lessons learned? you gonnna do it again? HAPPY BIRTHDAY too :)
Old 07-10-2013, 12:02 PM   #171
vicmitch OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
GOOD STUFF!!! Now go back and show some more pics and tell some more stories! got any lessons learned? you gonnna do it again? HAPPY BIRTHDAY too :)

I wish there were more pics. i commented on some of the other Mexico rides that had great photos of stuff I just passed by. I am missing the gene that tells you when something would make a great photo.

Ok, one more good story of a photo I never got.

I was walking around the center square in Puebla and a rather large mexican guy walks by wearing a shirt that said "I'm a Clark Middle School Soccer Mom" i thought "man I need a photo of this" the guy stopped in the square but was texting, his hands and phone cover the words "soccer mom" I waited till he finished but he turned and started walking. i foolowed him and managed to pass him, turn around to take the pic and he was staring right at me with a look that said, what's wrong wiht you so i missed the pic, which I already had a caption for
"if your going to buy a shirt in English, bring along someone who can read hte language"

There, a story.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:56 PM   #172
vicmitch OP
Gnarly Adventurer

For what it's worth, here is a link to killboys photo of me on th eTail of the Dragon. i bought a set last time I was there so this is a link to the proof. if anyone wants to criticize my form, feel free!

http://www.photoreflect.com/store/ph...7BAFF0539D0D54
Old 07-12-2013, 07:32 PM   #173
R-W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269

As always, great stuff Mitch! Sorry we could not connect up in MS.

I am in San Carlos, Mex right now.

Happy belated B Day!!
R-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:46 AM   #174
OkieGman
Working Stiff

Oddometer: 99
Just got caught up. Glad to hear you're home and a Happy Birthday (belated).

In Kenya right now working. If you ever come my way again you know you're welcome anytime.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2005 BMW R1200GS (Limey - yes it's lime green)
2007 Honda XR230R (x2 - for wifey and I)
OkieGman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:13 PM   #175
vicmitch OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieGman View Post
Just got caught up. Glad to hear you're home and a Happy Birthday (belated).

In Kenya right now working. If you ever come my way again you know you're welcome anytime.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Kenya! How cool is that?

Mitch
Old 07-16-2013, 08:46 PM   #176
SoTxDaddyo
Daddyo

Oddometer: 8
Again I would like to say it was good meeting a fellow JMAer. Glad you finally made it home. Hope to run into you again sometime, somewhere...
PM, Rio Grande Masonic Lodge #81, Brownsville, Texas
Member of Chais of Texas, JMA
Hook 'em
SoTxDaddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:53 PM   #177
vicmitch OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoTxDaddyo View Post
Again I would like to say it was good meeting a fellow JMAer. Glad you finally made it home. Hope to run into you again sometime, somewhere...
If I don't see you at the next R2R, I'm sure I'll be passing through Brownsville again as I'm far from done withe Mexico

Mitch
Old 07-22-2013, 03:27 PM   #178
SoTxDaddyo
Daddyo

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicmitch View Post
If I don't see you at the next R2R, I'm sure I'll be passing through Brownsville again as I'm far from done withe Mexico

Mitch
FYI, the U.S. government just issued a new travel warning for Tamaulipas and especially Nuevo Laredo.

Hopefully by the time you get ready to travel Mexico again it will have calmed down.
PM, Rio Grande Masonic Lodge #81, Brownsville, Texas
Member of Chais of Texas, JMA
Hook 'em
SoTxDaddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:15 PM   #179
rodsram
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
Great ride report Mitch,
Just finished - front to back.
Told the wife to get packing, we're going south..

Hope to see you soon.

Good talking today,

Rod.
rodsram is offline   Reply With Quote