Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2013, 08:41 PM   #1
norschweger OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Panama-Colombia

Independence vs Stahlratte?
I am trying to figure out what to do in the following weeks as I have to be back in Germany for my sisters wedding in the beginning of july.
First of all, there is the time question: I am in Antigua/Guatemala heading to El Salvador tomorrow. What is a realistic time that I need for all the different countries between here and Panama? Would the 14th of june be a good date? (steelrat) or rather the 6th or the 20th oj june(independence)? considering that I have to find a place to store the bike in Columbia (for maybe 2 or 3 months)
The other option is to store it in Panama, but as far as I know, I would not have that many days to store it there?
Any arguments for or against the different boats?

Thanks for any help!
norschweger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:17 AM   #2
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,577
I've never sailed on the Independence but more less lived on the SteelRat for a couple of months and I don't think you will find a better ship to send you and your bike over the Gap, If you speak German it is only a plus

I've heard/read both good and bad about the Independence and her crew, but more bad than good just saying.

I do know that these are two of the best boats for bringing motorbikes across the Gap and if I couldn't find space on the SteelRat the Independence would be the next choice if wanting to go by the standard sailboat option.

Some people don't do well on the water and it won't matter what boat they take they still have a horrible time of it, it's damn sure not for everybody

The costs between flying the bike and taking the boats are really getting almost equal now, so if you are in a hurry I would just fly the bike.
Btw it's Colombia with an "O" Pure moto heaven
Old 05-16-2013, 05:58 AM   #3
ApexJeff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
South American Forum?

why not start a South American Forum? More and more ADV riders are heading to South America and think its time to dedicate a forum.
ApexJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:02 AM   #4
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexJeff View Post
why not start a South American Forum? More and more ADV riders are heading to South America and think its time to dedicate a forum.
The latin america forum has so little traffic as it is that splitting that traffic into two doesn't really make much sense.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:26 PM   #5
ApexJeff
Gnarly Adventurer

South American Forum

Then rename it to South American? Interesting? How many threads are related to Latin America and how many South America.. don't know how much maintenance it is to separate the two. I followed Latin America since the start and when I joined in 2004, and will continue but now am on my qwest to reach the end of South America.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:30 PM   #6
markharf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 537
Couple of posts per day total traffic. Is that really so much of a headache that the forum needs to be split into two?
markharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:40 PM   #7
ApexJeff
Gnarly Adventurer

Question?

Would it be a headache? For who?
Old 05-16-2013, 06:53 PM   #8
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
You may find the boat is fully booked up unless you have made arrangements well in advance of the sailing dates. You may somehow luck out. Bonded storage of your motorcycle can be done in Costa Rica as well as Panama i believe.
The realistic timeline that you ask about depends on how much you want to experience on the way. You can hi- tail it as many others have.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:23 PM   #9
markharf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 537
Jeff, maybe I wasn't clear. I'll try again:

There's no reason to split the forum. There are lots of reasons not to split the forum. All you offer is "maybe it's time." That's not a reason.

In addition, this thread is not about splitting the forum. It's about boats and bike storage.

Sorry for my contribution to thread drift. I'm done.

Mark
markharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:21 PM   #10
norschweger OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
thank you guys for all the good infos.
Seems like I will go for a storage in Panama (needless to say...). Even though the two moto kiwis made some space on the Stahlratte unvoluntarily! (NOT happy about it, get better soon Andy!)
norschweger is offline   Reply With Quote