Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2013, 03:29 PM   #16
what car??
down the road

Oddometer: 357
You might check out the ride report from Joe Pichler, he's on an 1190 in Africa.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=841341

Heck I'm sure you could probably email him and ask him first hand. That might be, IMHO, the best you could probably do for real world experience from such a fresh bike. Worth checking out. Good luck in your travels and keep us posted.
what car?? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:03 AM   #17
AdventureLeo OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Hey there!

of course I know Joe Pichler. I am in contact with him. But it is always good to get more Information. ;-)

Greetings
Old 05-13-2013, 12:56 AM   #18
kaptinkaos
Just some nOOb

Oddometer: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by pebble35 View Post
The plastic handguards will swivel on the bars if you drop the bike, leaving the levers and the clutch.brake master cylinders open to damage. The handguards with the alloy backbone to them can be clamped up to the bars much tighter and will provide a lot more damage protection if you fall off.
I don't think clamping the hand guards down is really a great idea myself. They are designed to swivel under really hard impacts and are more designed to keep things from hitting your hands while riding in bushes, flying rocks, wind, bugs etc. If they are mounted too tight they will not give way to the force and possibly destroy other things on your bars. Fwiw, I leave almost all my controls a little under spec torque so that when I do have an off I just need to straighten things out, not pick up the pieces. Just my 2 cents being a guy that has his share of offs, ;)

The stock hand guards are just fine unless you plan on some SERIOUS off road stuff. The plastic has plenty of give, isn't too brittle and generally stands up fairly well to low speed dumps and spills. They also provide a bit better wind/weather protection than most aftermarket bark busters. To each his own though. I use alloy back boned bark busters on the majority of my bikes, but I ride like a fool in the dirt, hahaha!

Joe

*Edit: $40-60 will net you a second set of replacement levers. Cheaper than new hand guards and small/easy to pack. If you're worried about breaking levers, do like most off road guys do and drill a hole about 1/3rd the way down from the ball end. That way they break there instead of up close to the control. That allows you to still use it and get to somewhere you can replace it if need be. Cheers!
'07 F650GS Dakar (Gone to a good home!)
kaptinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:04 AM   #19
kaptinkaos
Just some nOOb

Oddometer: 571
For a GPS I recommend a Garmin Zumo 550 if you can find one. Still more ergonomic than the newer Zumo's and a whole bunch more rugged. I've abused the crap out of one for 5 years. Mud, dust, ice, -30C riding, everything... It's still going strong and the touchscreen hasn't lost a pixel!

http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/garmin/zumo.htm
'07 F650GS Dakar (Gone to a good home!)
kaptinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:43 AM   #20
AdventureLeo OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptinkaos View Post
I don't think clamping the hand guards down is really a great idea myself. They are designed to swivel under really hard impacts and are more designed to keep things from hitting your hands while riding in bushes, flying rocks, wind, bugs etc. If they are mounted too tight they will not give way to the force and possibly destroy other things on your bars. Fwiw, I leave almost all my controls a little under spec torque so that when I do have an off I just need to straighten things out, not pick up the pieces. Just my 2 cents being a guy that has his share of offs, ;)

The stock hand guards are just fine unless you plan on some SERIOUS off road stuff. The plastic has plenty of give, isn't too brittle and generally stands up fairly well to low speed dumps and spills. They also provide a bit better wind/weather protection than most aftermarket bark busters. To each his own though. I use alloy back boned bark busters on the majority of my bikes, but I ride like a fool in the dirt, hahaha!

Joe

*Edit: $40-60 will net you a second set of replacement levers. Cheaper than new hand guards and small/easy to pack. If you're worried about breaking levers, do like most off road guys do and drill a hole about 1/3rd the way down from the ball end. That way they break there instead of up close to the control. That allows you to still use it and get to somewhere you can replace it if need be. Cheers!
Moin - I will stick to the original hand guards. Never had Problems with the ones on ma KTM 690. And with this bike I had some serious offroad experiences and of course falls.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:44 AM   #21
AdventureLeo OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptinkaos View Post
For a GPS I recommend a Garmin Zumo 550 if you can find one. Still more ergonomic than the newer Zumo's and a whole bunch more rugged. I've abused the crap out of one for 5 years. Mud, dust, ice, -30C riding, everything... It's still going strong and the touchscreen hasn't lost a pixel!

http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/garmin/zumo.htm
Thx - for the Info - I will check it out. But I must say the Montana looks like a nice little toy! Also good for hiking - which I am suppose to do as well!

Greetings Martin
Old 05-13-2013, 05:42 AM   #22
Deviant666
Present

Oddometer: 526
bad fuel

To check the fuel quality I'd be inclined to carry a small Mr. Funnel along...you could pass the first liter of fuel by this and check wether the fuel is good...if it is there's no need for further filtration...if the 1190s fuel filters are half as sensitive as the 990s you'd be in trouble pretty soon without prefiltering the fuel...
Old 05-13-2013, 05:48 AM   #23
AdventureLeo OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviant666 View Post
To check the fuel quality I'd be inclined to carry a small Mr. Funnel along...you could pass the first liter of fuel by this and check wether the fuel is good...if it is there's no need for further filtration...if the 1190s fuel filters are half as sensitive as the 990s you'd be in trouble pretty soon without prefiltering the fuel...
Do you have a picture from this device! I got no idea how this looks like.

Greetings Martin
Old 05-13-2013, 06:52 AM   #24
Martynho
ChileGringo

Oddometer: 402
KTM in Chile

Hi Leo,

I am a Brit 990R rider living here in Chile. I can help you out with route info etc but not so much n the tech stuff on 1190's. In fact I have just been invited to the model`s launch here in Chile this Thursday evening.

Suffice to say that they have just landed here, but I expect the KTM dealer will be stocking tyres etc. Not sure what the situation will be in the rest of South America, but I can tell you that 170/18 rears will not be the easiest to find and you will probablyhave to rely on the KTM dealers.

I suggest you contact him directly, he is a German-Chilean chap.

roland.spaarwater@ktmchile.cl

Cheers - Martyn
Martynho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:13 AM   #25
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,201
Martyn, the 1190R needs a 150/70/18 rear. He will be fine using 950/990 tires. Scorps, TKCs, Heidenaus, Karoos,...
Keep in mind the rear rim is 4,5'' wide so just don't try to install a 140 rear tire.

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:51 AM   #26
AdventureLeo OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martynho View Post
Hi Leo,

I am a Brit 990R rider living here in Chile. I can help you out with route info etc but not so much n the tech stuff on 1190's. In fact I have just been invited to the model`s launch here in Chile this Thursday evening.

Suffice to say that they have just landed here, but I expect the KTM dealer will be stocking tyres etc. Not sure what the situation will be in the rest of South America, but I can tell you that 170/18 rears will not be the easiest to find and you will probablyhave to rely on the KTM dealers.

I suggest you contact him directly, he is a German-Chilean chap.

roland.spaarwater@ktmchile.cl

Cheers - Martyn
Thanks for that! But its a smaller tire at the back. The difference is the TL (TubeLess) So all the tires for 990 with TT (TubeTire) will not work on the 1190s. They have also another speed index. I will just ask your friend over there about the situation. Anyhow for the first trip I will take some spare ones with me. Since I have friends in Santiago this will be anyhow a spot that I cross several times. When I drive down to Patagonia and up again for example!
Old 05-13-2013, 09:16 AM   #27
LarryChile
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureLeo View Post
Thanks for that! But its a smaller tire at the back. The difference is the TL (TubeLess) So all the tires for 990 with TT (TubeTire) will not work on the 1190s. They have also another speed index. I will just ask your friend over there about the situation. Anyhow for the first trip I will take some spare ones with me. Since I have friends in Santiago this will be anyhow a spot that I cross several times. When I drive down to Patagonia and up again for example!
Hi, I am another chilean KTM's fan, so if you need something in Chile don't hesitate to contact me. I have several alternative routes if you want for your GPS. When are you specting arrive Chile???

See ya..!!

Larry
LarryChile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:38 AM   #28
AdventureLeo OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryChile View Post
Hi, I am another chilean KTM's fan, so if you need something in Chile don't hesitate to contact me. I have several alternative routes if you want for your GPS. When are you specting arrive Chile???

See ya..!!

Larry
I will be in Chile sometime around the 15th of september...

Greetings
Old 05-13-2013, 11:51 AM   #29
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,910
Quote:
The Hedienau K60s are a Tubeless 150/70 18 rear tyre just to name one. I am pretty sure that Mitas tyres are also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #30
Bowser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Quote:

Dont wish to be rude, but you need to get out of Germany TUV mode. The rest of the world dont care what tyre you put on the bike.
If your after off road type tyres then the speed rating is not and issue, if going fast is an issue then you wont be using off road tyres.
If it fits then you can use it, if all you have is tube tyre then put a tube in, it will be fine, I have the Same tkc 80's on my BMW with tubless rims and my KTM 990 with tubes in, neither cause any problem, and have done same with Heidnau's and others.
Bowser is offline   Reply With Quote