User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2013, 12:29 PM   #61
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,209
Most people here crack me up.
My favorite bike has about 20 hp and I ride it everywhere, and have more fun on it then any other bike I have ever owned, and the V7 is under powered?
Its 400 pounds, if it had 80 or 90 hp it would be over 500 pounds and a big heavy sled, like the Bonneville. It would suck gas and need a bigger gas tank, bigger suspension parts, stronger frame, stronger driveline, and would be one of the other bigger Moto Guzzi's....

From what I read, V7 service is as easy as it gets, no coolant, valves are screw and locknut, easy to get at, no chain and sprockets, fuel injection, whats to do on the bike?
Order filters/gaskets/brake pads on line, have spares on hand, and you never need to go to any dealers.

Besides the very nice style and sound, I would pick the V7 over other bikes just because its so light.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:09 PM   #62
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
Most people here crack me up.
My favorite bike has about 20 hp and I ride it everywhere, and have more fun on it then any other bike I have ever owned, and the V7 is under powered?
Its 400 pounds, if it had 80 or 90 hp it would be over 500 pounds and a big heavy sled, like the Bonneville. It would suck gas and need a bigger gas tank, bigger suspension parts, stronger frame, stronger driveline, and would be one of the other bigger Moto Guzzi's....
Your taste, your ride. But yes, for what I enjoy in a bike I consider 40ish hp to be on the low side. Sure, less can be done, but why? I actually have bikes that make less, but I don't enjoy riding them as much personally. And just to clarify, nothing in my garage makes over around 90. In over 30 years of riding I've discovered that for ME, somewhere around the 70-90 range does everything I need and want. I have no need for todays 140+hp machines, but anything less than upper 60's is just a little less than what I find optimal. Again, for ME.

But seriously. My '93 Duc 900SS was rated with 84hp, and weighs just over 400lbs dry. The Monster 696 weighs 407 wet and is rated at 80 hp. The 1100 version weighs 414 WET, and makes 100 brake hp. That's only two pounds more than the 796 which makes in the upper 80's. Different machine altogether I know, but still a two valve twin.

Wanna go lower tech? The Buell XB12 weighed right around 400 lbs and made 103hp and 84 ft/lbs of torque with a push rod twin that's original design just as old, if not older, than that of the Guzzi mill. You could detune it quite a bit and still be well within the range I asked for.

I don't really think that 70-80 hp (the range that I said would suit me just fine) would be out of the question. That's really not asking for much these days. I mean, come on man, 47 hp out of a 850 mill? Why a machine making 70- 80 hp would need to weigh 500lbs is beyond me when tons of light bikes make that kind of power, and many make well over that amount and are even lighter.

Suck gas and need a bigger tank? Really? Geesh! Get real, man. What kind of mileage do you think bikes in that output range get? We're not talking a fire breathing monster here. . And if 4.5 gallons of fuel ain't enough... well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
From what I read, V7 service is as easy as it gets, no coolant, valves are screw and locknut, easy to get at, no chain and sprockets, fuel injection, whats to do on the bike?
Order filters/gaskets/brake pads on line, have spares on hand, and you never need to go to any dealers.

Besides the very nice style and sound, I would pick the V7 over other bikes just because its so light.
I am with you on that part.

There are good resources and helpful folks online that can pretty much answer your questions. There's at least a couple of decent MG specific forums. And the bikes are pretty simple and easy to work on. Nothing that a reasonably mechanically inclined owner can't handle. Well, at least that was the case with the older pre-FI models. I have no idea about the newer ones. Is there a consumer available method for checking computer diagnostics codes and such, or are you married to the dealer for that sort of thing like with BMW? I'm afraid that while FI may have brought some advantages it has also put an end to the shade tree home mechanic being able to solve all his problems with a well stock tool chest. At least for a lot of new machines. Either way though, for service and the vast majority of repairs you could probably handle most things yourself. As Brett said, there's really not much to doing the basic stuff like oil changes and valve adjustments.

Granted, shaft drive requires less regular maintenance, but when and if it does need servicing it is quite a bit more complex than a simple chain and sprocket set.

And I seriously considered one a while back myself. IMO, NOTHING sounds better than a Guzzi with a nice set of pipes at full chat! I like the size, and I could live with the suspension and brakes. Just get it into the upper 60's hp range or above and I'd be happy. Get it over mid 70's and I'd be ecstatic.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy

Randy screwed with this post 05-24-2013 at 08:47 PM
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:45 PM   #63
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)

Oddometer: 686
I think a lot of it depends where you ride. Where we go in PA and WV a bit of HP is needed as there can be very small passing zones that only present themselves after a very long stretch. Getting stuck behind 3-4 large trucks for 50 miles is a real possibility.
KingOfFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:08 PM   #64
OtterChaos
Guzzi Guzzi Guzzi

Oddometer: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinarello rider View Post
What a great looking bike. I saw a guy riding one the other day and it piqued my interest.

A couple of questions. My nearest Moto Guzzi dealership is almost 2 hours away. I am fairly handy - mostly with cars though. What is the maintenance like on these, and what warranty issues have you had? What about other riders? I understand you can't speak for them, but I'm curious about the rumors. I ride a HD Sportster 883 now and really like the size and manueverability of it - along with the gas mileage as I would mostly be commuting 20 miles on 60mph state highway where speeds rarely go above 65. I like my commute. :)

Thanks in advance.

I'd say head over to the WildGuzzi forums and ask away, there are some V7 owners who also have HD's.

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?board=1.0
OtterChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:11 PM   #65
Penderic
Format C:/u

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinarello rider View Post
What is the maintenance like on these, and what warranty issues have you had? What about other riders? I understand you can't speak for them, but I'm curious about the rumors. I ride a HD Sportster 883 now and really like the size and manueverability of it - along with the gas mileage as I would mostly be commuting 20 miles on 60mph state highway where speeds rarely go above 65. I like my commute. :)

Thanks in advance.
Thank you for your kind compliment!

I have owned a few new bikes and all of them had some niggles of some kind when brand new. A lot of them were caused or missed during dealer prep.

The lil Guzzi had a couple of electrical problems the first year that spoiled the love- the damp winter climate here caused one electrical terminal in one electrical connector to turn green and temperamental, and the first month the tps thingy went bad and was replaced under the warranty.

Once I found the intermittent terminal, cleaned and sealed the connector - the bike has been 100% reliable - just hop on and go. Finding a fixing a simple problem felt real good and maybe completed the bonding.

The biggest worry for us V7 owners has been the cold-starting fueling nature... engine needs to be warmed up to use and the other big one was gasohol swelling the early plastic tanks. The new models have been changed to correct the early concerns .... it is now as good as any Honda I have owned....

I ride mostly remote rural and town roads, and at slow speeds usually, but with lots of hills curves, deer, tourists, bicyclists and no shoulder it can be exciting at times.

I have done 3 long rides on the bike and found that I didn't really need to change the basics - bars and seat fine - footpegs are ok, ...it fits. Add a shield to keep the bugs off -(I tried a big screen, but the little one works much better), and a set of removable luggage to carry your stuff.

The stock footpegs are ok, but my legs have always been the problem on long rides - I always get a cramp in one leg or the other. This spring I put on 1" lowered pegs that are very very comfortable - and they seem to work without any loss of cornering but this summer's ride will test em! I cant remember any bike that fit me better than this one. Thats it - nothing else to do or left to farkle up now!

As to commuting on the V7, I really like that it feels like a small light bike, very agile yet stable - its great for my kind of riding, but if you are mainly going back and forth on a stretch of straight interstate, it might not be the best bike for you.
Penderic is offline   Reply With Quote