Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2013, 12:24 PM   #1
opticalmace OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Practicing emergency braking... marks left on pavement?

Hi all,

I am a relatively new rider and I have been trying to practice my emergency braking. I am only using my front brake for now (on the street I use both). I'm on a Ninja 250R.

I do it in a local parking lot and there appears to be (unbroken) rubber streaks/marks left after I do a run.

Is this normal? I really don't think I'm locking the front. Kind of spooked me a little when I noticed it.

Thanks!

opticalmace screwed with this post 05-11-2013 at 01:06 PM
opticalmace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:36 PM   #2
AzItLies
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by opticalmace View Post
Hi all,

I am a relatively new rider and I have been trying to practice my emergency braking. I am only using my front brake for now (on the street I use both).

I do it in a local parking lot and there appears to be (unbroken) rubber streaks/marks left after I do a run.

Is this normal? I really don't think I'm locking the front. Kind of spooked me a little when I noticed it.

Thanks!
Sure, that's normal. I'd suggest getting use to using both brakes to stop, as that is your full stopping power. Practice that instead of just front or back.

Cheers
AzItLies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:43 PM   #3
shaddix
Banned

Oddometer: 647
What bike are you on
shaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:58 PM   #4
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
If you're doing the practice on a coated parking lot , the surface is not an acurate representation of asphalt. The coated asphalt is slicker.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:07 PM   #5
opticalmace OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
If you're doing the practice on a coated parking lot , the surface is not an acurate representation of asphalt. The coated asphalt is slicker.
Oh, really? Had no idea. Thanks for the tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post
What bike are you on
2012 Ninja 250R.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:54 PM   #6
Capt Crash
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
It could be a sign of a thing called "impending skid" where your tire is still turning but not as fast as you are going.

Or it could be your skidding the rear and don't realize it, or you're not pulling the clutch in fully...

A better indication of how you're doing is to measure speed and distance.

http://youtu.be/imrAbLNeFe4

Capt Crash screwed with this post 05-11-2013 at 04:06 PM
Capt Crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:02 PM   #7
txwanderer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
Friction is your friend. Sounds like you are close to the threshold of grip and slip. Now that you know where that is,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I would suggest as someone else did, to use both brakes, try it on different surfaces and throw a bucket or two of water out there just to add to the mix.

Congrats for actually practicing things that will keep you alive.

Cheers
txwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:00 PM   #8
Fajita Dave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 717
If you're using the Ninja 250s full braking potential the rear tire will lift off the ground if you're on good pavement which makes the rear brake useless. Those lines are either from a sealant on the parking lot or you are right on the edge of the bikes braking limits. You will know it when the front tire locks. Usually the handlebars will turn one way (most of the time its left from rider squeezing/pushing on the right brake lever) and the front end gets a vague feeling of not being connected to the pavement anymore. As long as you let off the front brake the bike will recover on its own for the most part. A lot of people end up freezing when the front tire locks and never let off the front brake.

You should still practice with the rear brake for wet pavement, dirt, or any other situation that is less then optimal traction. But for what you're doing its fine to just use the front brake and get comfortable with heavy braking. For the record on my sportbike the rear brake has been pretty much useless unless it was in gravel or dirt. Even on wet pavement the front brake gets the rear end so light the rear brake doesn't slow you down any quicker.

If you can get access to a dirtbike and practice braking off-road it would make learning much easier. Tire lock ups are much more forgiving in dirt or grass but you'll get to know how it feels and how to recover from it. If you drop a dirtbike its no big deal compared to the fairings on your Ninja.

Fajita Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:21 PM   #9
lnewqban
Ninjetter

Oddometer: 290
Cool2

I also practice emergency braking and Moto Gymkhana with my Ninja 250 and I agree with Fajita's post above.

When I repeat a figure 8 several times on the same area of the parking lot where I practice, a darker line shows a huge number 8 on the pavement.

Yes, we leave little particles of rubber on the road each time that the contact patch feels some sheering load (lean or brake).

Kudos to you for practicing: keep looking far away, grip the tank hard with your knees and focus on keeping a perfect balance all the way to a full stop.
lnewqban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:50 PM   #10
opticalmace OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks guys, this info is really useful!

About threshold braking, I used to (downhill) mountain bike a lot. My bikes had very strong hydraulic disk brakes. I think it is probably helping a bit, though it's certainly a different feeling slowing down several hundred pounds!
Old 05-12-2013, 05:12 AM   #11
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,117
Quote:
Thanks guys, this info is really useful!

About threshold braking, I used to (downhill) mountain bike a lot. My bikes had very strong hydraulic disk brakes. I think it is probably helping a bit, though it's certainly a different feeling slowing down several hundred pounds!
Mountain biking absolutely applies to riding your moto. Good on ya for practicing. Keep it up.

Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:50 AM   #12
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,382
Quote:
Hi all,

I am a relatively new rider and I have been trying to practice my emergency braking. I am only using my front brake for now (on the street I use both). I'm on a Ninja 250R.

Thanks!

Nope, not locking the front just pulling off a little bit off rubber, you would know if you managed to lock the front.

Congrats, you have discovered the threshold of traction, a lot of riders never actually feel it.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:21 AM   #13
Capt Crash
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
Nope, not locking the front just pulling off a little bit off rubber, you would know if you managed to lock the front.

Congrats, you have discovered the threshold of traction, a lot of riders never actually feel it.
Just a splash of cool water. You need to be careful when you're practicing braking because it's very easy to convince yourself you're really getting it done when you're not. Subjectively deciding you're at threshold without a speed/distance check means you may be training yourself to under perform while braking.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:23 AM   #14
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Crash View Post
Just a splash of cool water. You need to be careful when you're practicing braking because it's very easy to convince yourself you're really getting it done when you're not. Subjectively deciding you're at threshold without a speed/distance check means you may be training yourself to under perform while braking.
If you are leaving blackies with the front wheel there isn't very much left, you can adjust the attack and add a bit of rear initially. That is about it.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:47 AM   #15
Capt Crash
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
If you are leaving blackies with the front wheel there isn't very much left, you can adjust the attack and add a bit of rear initially. That is about it.
Ahhhh...I only weight 185 pounds. I know this because I feel strongly that I weigh 185 aNd the belt I wear is the same style I've always worn. I don't need a scale...yeah, that's the ticket.

What's the harm in making an objective measure?