ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2013, 02:49 PM   #1
Burnt Toast OP
Slingshot: engaged.

Oddometer: 214
Suzuki demo day at Kevin Powell motorsports

So, I was able to make this demo ride at the last minute. Plans changed and...the boss let me go.

I rode three bikes and here's my 2c, which may not be worth a nickel to any of you. I did read Horsehead's report and had some similar and some different opinions. What do they say about opinions again...?

No pics... I know I'm lame.

As a base of reference, I have three bikes now, a GSXR 750, DR 650, and Goldwing. My wife was more than a little concerned about me going to this event.

GSXR 1000
I wanted to try one of these as I was considering both the 750 and 1000 and decided to buy a 750. It's a race-replica, so don't think that the ergos are going to be great. I added heli bars to mine and transformed it into an every day (acceptable) machine. Aside from the need for those, holy cow this thing is fun! Power everywhere in every gear. I fell back a few times so I could punch it and catch up. It took about half a second to catch the pack and have to nail the brakes. I told people several times that this thing would get me into trouble. Waaay too much fun. I think the one I was on had helium in the front wheel as it kept wanting to head towards the sky. Roads around here aren't long enough to do this thing justice. Great bike, but I think I made the right choice for me...for now.

VStrom 650
I think Horshead pretty much nailed this one for me. I know these things have a cult-like following. It was terribly comfortable in that ride-cross-country kinda way, but, well, was kinda boring for me. Keep in mind that I ride to enjoy a bit of the adrenaline rush and I had just gotten off of a GSXR 1000 and before that I showed up on a GSXR 750. With that being said, I have a lot more fun on my other bikes. This one reminded me of the ride on the Goldwing without all of the weight, storage, and passenger benefits. They didn't have a 1000 to test which may do a better job of getting my attention. Maybe someday, but not today.

DRZ400 Supermoto
They had just put this one together and rolled it out as I was standing there (sorry Horsehead). Again, this was a bike I had considered buying instead of the DR650. It was a lighter and more underpowered version of my DR (of course my DR is not totally stock, either). This is a great machine for some real dirt (wheel change) or tight pavement. Faster speeds or slabbing it takes this thing out of it's element quickly. If you are looking for a more dirt-worthy bike than the DR650, this is a good option. It is very nimble on the supermoto wheels and has a good, upright seating position. The seat was 2x4ish at best. Pretty cool bike, but again I like my choice.

Like Horsehead, I was a little worried that going to this event would lead to a little heartache and second-guessing of my choices. As it turns out, I'm a very happy boy! Through some research and advice of some great people on this site and others, I had already selected the bikes that fit me and what I do with them pretty well. Nonetheless, It was a great day of riding and I got to test some pretty terrific bikes. I think I'll go out and show my girls some love with a bath and maybe some fresh oil. They like that, you know.
Burnt Toast is offline   Reply With Quote