User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2013, 09:24 AM   #1
tah1800 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Brake Fluid change w/ABS

OK, this may seem as a pretty dumb question but I'm hoping to change fluids today and haven't received a service manual yet. Does the ABS require a reset after changing brake fluid on a 2010 F658?

Youtube video shows the need for a "GS911 for the ABS" but doesn't go into why it's needed. first bike I've had with ABS so I haven't run into it before. Thanks in advance inmates.
tah1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:55 PM   #2
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,716
No.

Simple as that.

The bike doesn't care when you change the brake fluid. The service indicator is set to a maximum of 10 K kms or 6000 miles OR one year, whichever occurs first. Brake fluid is changed after the first year, then every 2 years. No special bleed requirements or procedures so long as you don't introduce air into the system. I did both our ABS bikes on one beer.

The 911 was probably used for the oil change interval. If you F up the brake fluid change then you can make the ABS pump go into a air bleed cycle with the Dealer MOSS computer but I don't know if 911 is capable of that. I never found it necessary on the Twins, only the Integral boosted systems.

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:11 PM   #3
Rider 101
Wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 853
another brake fluid question

I want to change the front upper brake line after fitting bar risers. Anyone know the procedure for bleeding abs brakes? Is it the same as non-abs?
Rider 101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:44 PM   #4
tah1800 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Reaver - I figured the GS911 might only be used to set a maintenance update, nothing really having to do with changing brake fluid.

tah1800 screwed with this post 05-15-2013 at 04:45 PM
Old 05-15-2013, 04:47 PM   #5
tah1800 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

FOLLOW UP: Actually, I've now read if you want to drain the fluid from the ABS servo, you need to use the GS911 to cycle through the system. I'm not sure how much fluid would be in the servo? Has anyone here used the GS911 to complete this part of a fluid change?

Guess this means to do it right and flush the entire system, I either need acces to a GS 911 or let the stealer do it. Ug.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:11 PM   #6
Reaver
Outta Here

Oh stop it. I worked for the Dealer for 3 yrs and only needed to cycle the ABS on one servo bike. I changed the fluid in hundreds(?) of bikes and replaced the damn R bike brake lines countless times considering the same Bulletin was done 3 times per bike.

It's all in the technique. For one, FORCEFULLY bleed the system, that is, pull the lever hard like you mean it. Some say this causes foaming, I say it blows the air past the high spots. It works for me.

Where ya at in the process?

Old 05-17-2013, 03:03 AM   #7
tah1800 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Just bled them through the normal process because I don't gave a GS911 anyway. Fluid looks pretty clear to me and brakes work fine.
Move along, nothing to see here.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:36 AM   #8
Reaver
Outta Here

God job! Who's a good boy? Huh, whoooo's a good boy? Extra time in the Jolly Jumper for you!

Sorry, I still can't take you seriously with that avatar. Not like mine is any better.

Glad you made it through the process. As I say it's the power boosted servo brakes that scare me, timewise anyway. After the flush you have to do a "test" on the Dealer computer. It compares the brake pressure on all 4 systems over a time period then you either got a message "Brake system adequate." or the dreaded " Front (or rear) brake not properly ventillated." Once you get that message translated it means "start over".