Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2013, 04:15 PM   #46
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,384
Are you sure they are open Monday?

We are here for you, don't do anything drastic

How much oil is lost? Perhaps you ought not to ride it.

Give them a call Monday morning.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:20 PM   #47
Meter Man OP
Living on a prayer

Oddometer: 7,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
Are you sure they are open Monday?

We are here for you, don't do anything drastic

How much oil is lost? Perhaps you ought not to ride it.

Give them a call Monday morning.

They are open Monday. I live 1 mile from the store. Already dropped it at their night drop off spot.

Won't do anything drastic. My expectation are two outcomes:

1. They fix it and refuse to take it back, which means I will have to man up and enjoy it.

2. They take it back and I decide what to get when I get home from my trip.

I really did like the 800GS (2012 or 2011 model) I rode in Spain and France last year. I don't like them at $15k, but maybe a used one is in my future. I don't really consider them BMWs as they are not the flat twin convention.
Meter Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:22 PM   #48
UtahSooner
awagnon

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meter Man View Post
I live 1 mile from the store. Already dropped it at their night drop off spot.
Briefly off topic: I've never seen a dealer with a night drop off spot for liability reasons. Good chance the bike would be gone the next day unless the drop off spot is manned or under surveillance. How does it work?
Boxer bikes, boxer dogs, and letterboxing.
UtahSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:25 PM   #49
Knightwork
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 865
Bike

Well coming from someone who knows little and enjoys lots--

Bought my GSA out in Texas about 14 months ago--sound wierd but it really was froma little old man that might have weighed 120 # soaking wet and after the third time turning it over (twice in the garage and once in the driveway his wife said sell it) i have really enjoyed my GSA---it can take a hell of a lot of abuse and will go just about anywhere---yes it falls down and takes naps a good bit but I could not be more pleased with a damn tough bike. Hopefully the dealer will do you right and I wish you the best of luck. I have put about 29,000 miles on mine in 13 months mostly dirt and gravel/ mud , mainly riding just on weekends with some of the best "guides" around --it has turned out to be the best bike I have ever had or ridden and when I wear this out I will go get another one---
Hope that you get it fixed and ride her for a while---Frau Brueller is great and she never complains but she sure wears out tires--could be I abuse them a little

Good Luck and Good Riding ---KW

'09 R1200GSA (Frau Brueller)
Knightwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:37 PM   #50
Mugwest

Oddometer: 5,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meter Man View Post
I really did like the 800GS (2012 or 2011 model) I rode in Spain and France last year. I don't like them at $15k, but maybe a used one is in my future. I don't really consider them BMWs as they are not the flat twin convention.
Oh noes! The F8 has valve cover gasket issues too!

Where will it all end?!?

Old 05-12-2013, 05:48 PM   #51
Meter Man OP
Living on a prayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahSooner View Post
Briefly off topic: I've never seen a dealer with a night drop off spot for liability reasons. Good chance the bike would be gone the next day unless the drop off spot is manned or under surveillance. How does it work?

Just like a car drop off, parking area and keys in the night box. I have no fear of theft, and if so, I have full coverage with low deductibles on it. Good riddance........
Old 05-12-2013, 05:50 PM   #52
Meter Man OP
Living on a prayer

Maybe next I should buy a Moto Guzzi.....those should be reliable....right....
Old 05-12-2013, 05:51 PM   #53
Meter Man OP
Living on a prayer

So did my DR650, but for 5 grand it doesn't have to be perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugwest View Post
Oh noes! The F8 has valve cover gasket issues too!

Where will it all end?!?

Old 05-12-2013, 06:17 PM   #54
PukaWai
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahSooner View Post
The OP is in Montana! Things are still a bit more reality-based there than the big-city BS most of us have sadly gotten used to.

Meter - When I bought my 1150 a few years ago (first BMW), the clutch slave cylinder went out in less than 100 miles into a 2000mile trip. The PO had had it serviced at the dealership just before I picked it up, seemed rather coincidental. At any rate, I finished the rest of the ride with an almost non-functional clutch lever. Later the dealer fixed it all up, but I had the same feelings about the bike as you do. Then the HES started causing problems...
But now, some 50k miles later the bike has really grown on me and have no desire to get anything newer, and I'll probably run out of years before the bike runs out of miles.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:24 PM   #55
BluByU
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
Holy crap dude, your bike is screwed, get rid of it Now, being nice guy I will buy it from you, although at a lower price

have the dealer fix it (they should as you just got it from them) Ride it and enjoy

" I'll probably run out of years before the bike runs out of miles." Nicely said PukaWai I feel the same about my 04 GSA
BluByU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:11 PM   #56
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,384
I dropped a 1994 BMW R1100RSL at the Dealership in Colorado Springs late one Sunday night.

When I called Tuesday they said "what bike?"

Insurance pay out was easier than fixing it! (Rear end)
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:33 PM   #57
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,280
I dropped my Chev 2500 HD for routine work on a Sunday. The assured me the place was safe but as I was dropping it off it didn't feel or look very safe. I called Monday about 10 AM from work,
-"just wanted to make sure you have my truck and all."

"Ahh, which truck?"

-"the gold Silverado Diesel?"

"hmmm... I don't know that truck. When did you drop it off? Hmmmm. I don't remember any gold truck this morning at all. Let me ask the guys and I'll call you back."

-"Okay but I'm covered up here at work and I can't carry my phone. Please leave a message."

six hours later I had to call him. "Oh yeah, it's on the rack right now. And it's a good thing you called. We can get the work done today but your truck also needs...."

But I was travelling for work and that was worlds away from Montana. My dealer here let's me drop my bike off, too. Never have lost one.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:35 PM   #58
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
Yeah, let's not get too excited. It's not hard to put that valve cover on wrong and pinch that little gasket. It's not difficult but one needs to be careful. I think Jim's video (it's been a while since I've seen it-- like, years) says to install the valve cover with the donut on it in one move and if you think you've slid it on cocked to one side and the rubber donut has been misplaced a little, take it back it all back off and start again or it will leak. Though not much, usually.

This isn't a SOS moment and certainly no reason to tie that albatross of a Vee Strom around your neck.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:48 AM   #59
Meter Man OP
Living on a prayer

Talked with the dealer this morning, they are fixing the problem. However I am waiting on a call back regarding them taking the bike back and squaring up. I told them that was my preference above all others.

We'll see what happens next.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:05 PM   #60
Juggernaut
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Is this an issue that would have showed up if whoever worked on it ran the engine a bit before riding it? The thing you are supposed to do following an oil change to check for leaks. It seems to me whoever did the work failed to do that, unless it only shows up when the bike is ridden.
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote