Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 12:36 PM   #61
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,433
It takes a minute or two for the oil to show when you run the engine, I actually did it once myself the first time I worked on the Oilhead. The donut was pinched.

They could not have test rode it after service, the would have seen it.

It CAN happen.

Buyers remorse sucks. I know I had a couple of used car lots! Shit happens. You move on. Undoing a sale for such a thing is not unheard of, but of course sellers rarely like to undo. We would have done all we could to make the sale stick, unless it was a weak sale anyway. Being a regular customer goes a long way. If you spend money there often enough.
TUCKERS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:50 PM   #62
Meter Man OP
Living on a prayer

Oddometer: 7,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
It takes a minute or two for the oil to show when you run the engine, I actually did it once myself the first time I worked on the Oilhead. The donut was pinched.

They could not have test rode it after service, the would have seen it.

It CAN happen.

Buyers remorse sucks. I know I had a couple of used car lots! Shit happens. You move on. Undoing a sale for such a thing is not unheard of, but of course sellers rarely like to undo. We would have done all we could to make the sale stick, unless it was a weak sale anyway. Being a regular customer goes a long way. If you spend money there often enough.

They seem pretty unwilling to undo the sale. They are fixing it. Told me to think about it while I'm on my trip.

At this I'm more peeved that they don't say yes or no. I even offered to take a $200 loss to make it more attractive to them. It is rapidly approaching the point in time where I won't darken their door again, nor have anything nice to say about them to anyone.

When they asked what I would do if they didn't allow me to return it, I told them I would sell it, at a bit of a loss, and then go somewhere else for the two motorcycles I planned on purchasing this summer, and probably never come back.

Maybe I'm being a big fucking baby, but it is what it is.
Meter Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:12 PM   #63
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meter Man View Post
They seem pretty unwilling to undo the sale. They are fixing it. Told me to think about it while I'm on my trip.

At this I'm more peeved that they don't say yes or no. I even offered to take a $200 loss to make it more attractive to them. It is rapidly approaching the point in time where I won't darken their door again, nor have anything nice to say about them to anyone.

When they asked what I would do if they didn't allow me to return it, I told them I would sell it, at a bit of a loss, and then go somewhere else for the two motorcycles I planned on purchasing this summer, and probably never come back.

Sounds like you could do with the week away to put things in perspective... it's your decision of course, but you are teetering on the edge of cutting your nose off to spite your face. At the end of the day, a mechanic made a small mistake which the dealer has admitted to by offering to sort it out quickly for you. I don't get the sense from your post that they tried to cover anything up or make a fuss about it. By throwing all of your toys out of the pram over this, you're not exactly making yourself a desirable customer to them either, so not going back is unlikely to cause them to lose any sleep... In my experience the fewer bridges you burn in life the better, but hey ho.

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:15 PM   #64
Norhasken
Tryin' to find my way

Oddometer: 18,228
There is always small claims court as an option. The legal system is ready to help resolve this situation, since it seems to be headed that way.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:23 PM   #65
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 15,811
NO.

please take the $200 loss, and rid yourself of the awful bike.

Otherwise, it might get old in here reading every 12,000 miles which oil you should use, or which filter.

these are great bikes, you simply have to understand the proper care and feeding, sadly I do not think most dealers do.

Check this, my induction to the GS was not much different, other than the fact that the bike was much older and cheaper.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=472918
mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:27 PM   #66
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,791
Most likely the dealer will have to do absolutely nothing other than straighten the donut, wipe off the oil and give the bike back to you. It's a 5 minute fix at worst. Getting the donut displaced while putting the valve cover back on is pretty easy to do. I probably do it about every third time I adjust the valves on my 1100. The mistake made was not taking the bike for a test run after servicing.

I understand your frustration at not being able to ride your new bike. However, if you're looking at this issue as an excuse to return the bike, I'd suggest you have buyer's remorse that has nothing to do with this particular bike or its price.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:28 PM   #67
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 2,584
Quote:

So the problem has nothing to do with the stupid little oil leak after all.

Repairing the bike for no charge would be considered a normal and prudent remedy to the problem, refunding your money is not a reasonable request, if I were that dealer I'd hope to hell that you never stepped foot in my operation again.

These big GS's are definitely not for the meek.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:31 PM   #68
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,433
We had people say "I'll never buy here again"

We said "Great, they were a pain the arse"

You'll end up with the bike no doubt. If you sell it right away you will loose more than $200. You paid retail right? What if when you sell it the other side leaks for the new buyer? What will you do? Fix it or give them their money back?

I just recently bought a bike and discovered a huge oil leak. Private seller is giving me a 'so what' attitude and ALL I asked for was $200. Not much one can do is there now?

Buyers remorse blows
TUCKERS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:31 PM   #69
Meter Man OP
Living on a prayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffs View Post
Sounds like you could do with the week away to put things in perspective... it's your decision of course, but you are teetering on the edge of cutting your nose off to spite your face. At the end of the day, a mechanic made a small mistake which the dealer has admitted to by offering to sort it out quickly for you. I don't get the sense from your post that they tried to cover anything up or make a fuss about it. By throwing all of your toys out of the pram over this, you're not exactly making yourself a desirable customer to them either, so not going back is unlikely to cause them to lose any sleep... In my experience the fewer bridges you burn in life the better, but hey ho.

I understand your take. I'm not making a fuss in the traditional sense. No raising of voice. I simply said "This is what I want. Are you willing to do it" and they've not said yes or no but tried nudging me in other directions (think about it for a week, we can talk about trading it at your purchase price for another bike etc). All fair offers, but I'm done with the bike. I don't want it at all and the only motorcycle I want from a line they carry is significantly cheaper than the GS.

Perhaps I don't know the way a dealership works, but it seems they have nothing to lose by taking the bike back, pocketing $200 and selling it to someone else. Then it is likely that I purchase a new bike from them as one of the other motorcycles I want is part of a line they carry.

Hell, I sold a shitbox used bike to someone several years ago (cheap), the alternator/charger died on their way home. After helping them troubleshoot a bit over the phone, I offered to tow my trailer 180 miles roundtrip, pick up the bike and return their money.

As another part of the story - the tech broke the cam chain tensioner when they opened it up, he showed me when he took me back into the service area to look at it. They will fix that as well. This adds to my wariness of the bike and the eventual repair.

Meter Man screwed with this post 05-13-2013 at 04:36 PM
Old 05-13-2013, 04:33 PM   #70
Juggernaut
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
These big GS's are definitely not for the meek.
If you mean meek as in poor people, I don't think many people would disagree with you.
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:44 PM   #71
Meter Man OP
Living on a prayer

Maybe it was the timing chain tensioner, I am not a quite sure as it was in 3 pieces.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:59 PM   #72
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,186
Quote:
As another part of the story - the tech broke the cam chain tensioner when they opened it up, he showed me when he took me back into the service area to look at it. They will fix that as well. This adds to my wariness of the bike and the eventual repair.
Pinched seals and now broken tensioners? The problems have become all that much more clear - sorry if the mechanic is a mate of yours, but they need someone familiar with that bike working on it, he's butchering the poor thing. He obviously doesn't have a clue, anything German requires a certain finesse when working on it... It is in the culture to have a prescribed procedure. Even the BMW tankbag insert comes with a book with steps to explain how to correctly install a few panels which Velcro together.

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:18 PM   #73
Racegun
Single Track Mind!

Oddometer: 2,547
Cool2 hmmmmm

Old 05-13-2013, 05:32 PM   #74
ShaftEd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,233
Quote:
Maybe it was the timing chain tensioner, I am not a quite sure as it was in 3 pieces.
Something doesn't add up. Neither the cam chain tensioner, or the timing chain tensioner would be touched in a normal service for a 2008 12GS.
ShaftEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:43 PM   #75
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 2,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaftEd View Post
Something doesn't add up. Neither the cam chain tensioner, or the timing chain tensioner would be touched in a normal service for a 2008 12GS.
That's a no shit.
And the coil wouldn't be full of oil because of it either, I'm not sure who's bullshitting who on this.