Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 07:18 PM   #91
Meter Man OP
Living on a prayer

Oddometer: 7,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by 200GRLSWC View Post
Ooh, boy . . . the fact that you ended that sentence with a question mark . . . well, whatever. But that's not really how that joke works.

Anyway, good luck on whatever your next bike is. May it forever be failure free.

I have the worst of luck with stuff. Seems to break when I look at it.

I don't have the energy or mental stability to go through my Sea Doo Jet boat fiasco. Closest I ever came to going to jail. The dealer guy ran away when he saw me in public a year later.
Meter Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:20 PM   #92
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 46,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaftEd View Post
Something doesn't add up. Neither the cam chain tensioner, or the timing chain tensioner would be touched in a normal service for a 2008 12GS.

That is what I was thinking. How TF does that happen?

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:23 PM   #93
tjt94
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meter Man View Post
Not a BMW dealer, but those guys acted odd last time I was in there looking at stuff. My buddy couldn't get out of there fast enough and basically said "WTF was that".
They are not a good experience dealer for sure. However, I don't know that I would have anyone else work on it other than myself. The boxer engine is basic as an old tractor for the most part but there are plenty of idiots that make it more difficult than it is and then break things. Get it back, check it out yourself, and ride it. I didn't have anything done to my GS before I left for Honduras last summer. I did change the oil, brake pads, and tires but nothing else. All was well all the way there and back. Relax and enjoy it.
tjt94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:25 PM   #94
Mugwest

Oddometer: 5,639
I think young Meter likes to post.

His bait bucket is brimming

What test line are you using, Meter? JM-approved line is at least 205lb test
Old 05-13-2013, 07:27 PM   #95
Meter Man OP
Living on a prayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
That is what I was thinking. How TF does that happen?

Jim

In all seriousness what could it have been, dark metal (darker than the cylinder head cover), some rounded parts and some flat parts. Obviously I didn't inspect it as I am not a mechanic.

The cam chain was sitting on itself like =) like a sidways U.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:33 PM   #96
Fibzzz
Resident Cynic

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
In all seriousness what could it have been, dark metal (darker than the cylinder head cover), some rounded parts and some flat parts. Obviously I didn't inspect it as I am not a mechanic.
If it was dark metal, it was probably Slayer.
Fibzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:33 PM   #97
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 46,891
Quote:

The cam chain was sitting on itself like =) like a sidways U.

No, I mean how does the tech break the cam chain tensioner? It is not accessable unless you remove it, and then it is just a bolt, a spring and a plunger. Hardly breakable, and no reason to remove it for a seal leak. Very odd!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:39 PM   #98
200GRLSWC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
I don't have the energy or mental stability to go through my Sea Doo Jet boat fiasco.
What happened? Did it get wet?

200GRLSWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:40 PM   #99
Meter Man OP
Living on a prayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fibzzz View Post
If it was dark metal, it was probably Slayer.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:41 PM   #100
Meter Man OP
Living on a prayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200GRLSWC View Post
What happened? Did it get wet?

That is what she said.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:42 PM   #101
200GRLSWC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
That is what she said.
NOW you've got it.

(You're welcome.)
200GRLSWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:53 PM   #102
elnonio
shedding n00bness

Oddometer: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVhillbilly View Post
When I bought my used Superduke I had to bring it home in the truck.
No tags on it, a few other reasons that I couldn't ride it home at the time.

When I had looked at it the battery was nearly dead, sales man jump started it and it was fine.
It was owned by an inmate here that took very good care of it so I wasn't concerned.

Unload it out of the truck, get ready to ride my new bike and it won't start.
Dead battery Wouldn't hold a charge.

Call the sales guy, who I have dealt with before and tell him what's up.
He orders a new battery, but I didn't get to ride for several days.

Battery was free, and the bike has been fantastic. But at that point when I hit the button and the bike didn't start I was pissed and wanted nothing more than to be rid of it.

So I can understand your frustration, because I'm the same way sometimes.
I have only had a couple cars/trucks break down and leave me stranded. But when they did I sold them.

My Superduke has been great, that was almost 3 years ago.
I think you should give the bike another chance, but I also think that you should find someone else to work on it if you are unwilling or unable to do it yourself.

Seems as if the tech there is not the best at BMWs, I have KTMs and they are a bit different to work on.
Similar story with my GS, bought at Morton's in Fredericksburg VA. Owned by an inmate. Took it on a test drive, it fired up without issues. Brought my trailer, fired up again. Took it out of the trailer, click click. Bought a new battery and properly installed the canbus saver which was inexplicably not installed right, problem solved.

I mentioned it to the dealer the following weekend, no offer to pay for the battery or anything. Difference for me was that I felt I got a good deal for the bike, so what was another $80 or so.

7,400 miles later, haven't looked back.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:57 PM   #103
jdmetzger
Lone Wolf

Oddometer: 2,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVhillbilly View Post
When I bought my used Superduke I had to bring it home in the truck.
No tags on it, a few other reasons that I couldn't ride it home at the time.

When I had looked at it the battery was nearly dead, sales man jump started it and it was fine.
It was owned by an inmate here that took very good care of it so I wasn't concerned.

Unload it out of the truck, get ready to ride my new bike and it won't start.
Dead battery Wouldn't hold a charge.

Call the sales guy, who I have dealt with before and tell him what's up.
He orders a new battery, but I didn't get to ride for several days.

Battery was free, and the bike has been fantastic. But at that point when I hit the button and the bike didn't start I was pissed and wanted nothing more than to be rid of it.

So I can understand your frustration, because I'm the same way sometimes.
I have only had a couple cars/trucks break down and leave me stranded. But when they did I sold them.

My Superduke has been great, that was almost 3 years ago.
I think you should give the bike another chance, but I also think that you should find someone else to work on it if you are unwilling or unable to do it yourself.

Seems as if the tech there is not the best at BMWs, I have KTMs and they are a bit different to work on.
Hell. I purchased a used R100GSPD from a BMW dealer and upon riding it home (it was a fly-and-ride), found out the first day the brake / tail light bulb was burned out and the oil cooler banjo bolts were incorrectly torqued and SLOWLY leaking oil (just to the point where it was burning off on the exhaust and not causing a really noticeable leak). Fortunately I only rode for a short time in the dark (though the burned out light explained the near rear-ending I got in a traffic jam) and the oil level was JUST showing on the dipstick when I stopped for the night (getting off the highway in the dark, I noticed the smoke coming up through the PD fairing).

The following day was when I found out I was getting 26mpg. It was a nightmare ordeal and involved a semi-on-semi collision. Quite a story.

Anyhow, the dealer - they're assholes with terrible technicians, but I never blamed the BIKE. Instead, I fixed the problems and turned it into a super reliable mile eater. Despite the issues, the price was still decent so I couldn't be TOO mad. Of course, now I have a NEW GSA so the PD has to go, but someone will be getting an awesome (and now reliable) bike out of it.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:02 PM   #104
Meter Man OP
Living on a prayer

In all reality this wasn't a troll thread.

I do feel a lot better after venting and reading some of the more humorous posts.

I am just afraid this is the beginning of a series of calamities like the Rotax/Sea Doo saga.

I am going to have to give it a 2nd chance, whether I like it or not. Hopefully it will be ready soon and I can take it on my 2nd favorite loop and see the light.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:16 PM   #105
Racegun
Single Track Mind!

Oddometer: 2,458
Wink

Quote:
In all reality this wasn't a troll thread.

I do feel a lot better after venting and reading some of the more humorous posts.

I am just afraid this is the beginning of a series of calamities like the Rotax/Sea Doo saga.

I am going to have to give it a 2nd chance, whether I like it or not. Hopefully it will be ready soon and I can take it on my 2nd favorite loop and see the light.
its time to find a hobby / past time/ interest that does not involve mechanical/electrical things. Some people can not get near that stuff. Ever Watch Fringe? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fringe_(TV_series)

Racegun screwed with this post 05-15-2013 at 04:55 AM
Racegun is offline   Reply With Quote