ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2014, 11:50 AM   #31
RFVC600R OP
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,607
BTW, my guy doesn't have a website either, maybe one day he'll let me take pictures of his shop. He's always got some mean looking V8 he's building everytime I go in. These little heads are nothing to him Sometimes the best things in life aren't even advertised.

I do feel bad for him though, he is really bored with doing engine machining

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
He's the XL600 Jesus, his bike dies for our sins.
RFVC600R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:36 PM   #32
ballisticexchris
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
I just don't know what to say. Slapped together? Filth? Clean your glasses or your monitor. Sorry if I didn't install new studs.

I have CW's contact info and you ain't getting it.

I was just busting your balls a bit. The motor work and head look really nice. Are you thinking of getting the XR400 oil cooler? That stroker motor will be making a lot of heat if using it offroad.

Looks like you have a real rocket on your hands. How about suspension? Main thing is you are happy with the work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFVC600R View Post
BTW, my guy doesn't have a website either, maybe one day he'll let me take pictures of his shop. He's always got some mean looking V8 he's building everytime I go in. These little heads are nothing to him Sometimes the best things in life aren't even advertised.

I do feel bad for him though, he is really bored with doing engine machining

Nothing wrong with using a machinist you are happy with. I think I know the shop you are going to in 29 Palms.

It's really easy to get carried away with modifications. FWIW, you can't beat those old XR motors. Proven design.
2012 Beta 520RS PLATED!!
ballisticexchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:18 PM   #33
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,566
Suspension wise I have CRF forks and an O'hlins custom shock.

I have a XR400 oil cooler but it's on the shelf...

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:15 PM   #34
RFVC600R OP
SAND EATER!

Yeah I'm saving up for piddly things like that.

I seen CW has these on his site. Finned valve covers.

Are those worthwhile?? The website says he is not taking orders, I'd love a set of those.

Quote:
Old 04-23-2014, 02:17 PM   #35
RFVC600R OP
SAND EATER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballisticexchris View Post

Nothing wrong with using a machinist you are happy with. I think I know the shop you are going to in 29 Palms.

It's really easy to get carried away with modifications. FWIW, you can't beat those old XR motors. Proven design.
Like I said, it's for hobby really. I don't plan on ever selling the bike either, because I will never be able to recoup the costs. It'd be cool to have a 50 year old bike on the trails 20 years from now
I'm well aware there are much better bikes out there, but I love everything about the XL. It can keep up with 450 MX bikes no problem, and it doesn't even feel "heavy" to me. Very versatile machine I love it.

The shop is over by the junkyard, IDK which machinist you're thinking of, the kid got shit canned because he sucked. The guy now actually used to own it years ago, but he sold it and started a shop elsewhere and eventually came back to the desert. The owners begged him to come back, so he made them buy his second shop so they can employ him in the first shop

Quote:

RFVC600R screwed with this post 04-23-2014 at 02:26 PM
Old 04-25-2014, 06:48 AM   #36
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,755
Quote:
Like I said, it's for hobby really. I don't plan on ever selling the bike either, because I will never be able to recoup the costs. It'd be cool to have a 50 year old bike on the trails 20 years from now
I'm well aware there are much better bikes out there, but I love everything about the XL. It can keep up with 450 MX bikes no problem, and it doesn't even feel "heavy" to me. Very versatile machine I love it.
I totally get that. I miss my XL every time I ride my wife's DR350. I had to make room for that e-start bike when she got her license. There is no comparison, even though her bike is 12 years newer.

I used to loved eating up the tricked out CRF450's out in the forest. When they would head for the jumps, though, I'd ride away like I was bored with toying with them.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:24 AM   #37
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,755
Quote:
Yeah I'm saving up for piddly things like that.

I seen CW has these on his site. Finned valve covers.

Are those worthwhile?? The website says he is not taking orders, I'd love a set of those.
I wouldn't waste effort on those. I don't think they will bring temps down much.

I got the best results from one of these fenders, which allowed a lot more air to flow over the head.

I used an oil temperature dipstick from XRs Only to monitor oil temps.

High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote