ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2013, 05:24 PM   #31
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentnothstine View Post
I was out here in TC both days, rained pretty hard both days tho, yesterday I rode for about an hour in a full on rain.

Can you say awesome traction in that rain though? The KTM just loves wet sand Kent.... You can imagine.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:26 PM   #32
the_sandman_454 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmac View Post
don't wait, get your first tag today.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=890896
Nicely done on the tag thread. Is the map administration difficult to do? I wonder if it can be done from a smartphone exclusively, since that's my only consistent source of internet access. If the lack of computer based internet isn't too big a hurdle, I wouldn't be opposed to assisting on that project.

Thanks for the breakdown of gear. If you had to suddenly re-buy your camping gear, would you get the same stove or a different one? Is the it pretty cost effective with fuel prices etc?
Old 05-29-2013, 07:46 PM   #33
kentnothstine
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
Can you say awesome traction in that rain though? The KTM just loves wet sand Kent.... You can imagine.

MMMM. I can imagine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Once your crotch gets wet it's all over.
kentnothstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:14 PM   #34
mi500
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
I cant wait to get stateside and put some miles on my toys. The thought of putting storage insurance on the truck is awesome. But i need the damn thing to much when im home.

89 CR500R
mi500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:22 AM   #35
jbmac
Mitten Man

Oddometer: 127
stove

Most of that list I got from a guy on craigslist for $150. I would definitely buy a different tent. The rest I am very happy with.

The stove was via mikesova at a garage sale for $10, so I doubt I will ever find a better deal than that. I am pretty happy with it though. It is really easy to use, and since I am not a backpacker the extra space compared to other true backpacking stoves doesn't bother me much. It will be a while before I get a feel for fuel consumption/cost from that perspective.

As for the map. I have never tried to administer it from a phone, but I would assume its possible. Would just take a bit more patience to get the markers on the right place.

Mid-Michigan Tag-o-rama
jbmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:52 AM   #36
jbmac
Mitten Man

Leelanau

Spent the weekend up in Leelanau Peninsula with the wife and family doing some wine tasting. More than half the time I was thinking about how nice it would have been to have had the bike up there on some of those roads. Simply gorgeous area.

A nice long weekend with some stealth camping on some state land or sleeping bear is in order this year.

Mid-Michigan Tag-o-rama
Old 06-04-2013, 03:11 PM   #37
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,831
Had a good time riding up in Roscommon Co. the last couple days.

For Sale: 2004 Husqvarna TE510 (Michigan)
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:01 AM   #38
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
Looks like you went with my tire recommendation there Sova. How do you like that combo?
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:29 AM   #39
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
Looks like you went with my tire recommendation there Sova. How do you like that combo?

Good? I'm too much of a newb to know the difference. ;)

Old 06-08-2013, 03:20 PM   #40
the_sandman_454 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

What tires are those? Mike, care to talk about the 250 a bit? Specifically how it likes the on road stuff and what sort of MPG it gets if you've bothered checking. I'm wondering if I might be happy with that for a commute where I generally just putt along at 55 for 20-25mi each way and have something smaller than the KLR pig to learn how to ride off road with.

So, the past few days were nice for riding. On Thursday, I headed out for the Oceola county campground at Rose lake where some friends had their campers. I like the hills up there better than the relative flat around home. Not much adventuring here, just stuck to paved roads for the most part.

Today, I rode back home from there, but took M61 to Gladwin to grab the Mid-Mi area tag, and took M18 to get back home.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:47 PM   #41
kentnothstine
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
That front looks like the Pirelli scorpion pro fim. I am pretty sure the back is a D606. I know the KLX250 keeps up fairly well with a DRZ-S because the KLX has a 6 speed. You could also look for a WR250-R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Once your crotch gets wet it's all over.
kentnothstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:19 PM   #42
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_sandman_454 View Post
What tires are those? Mike, care to talk about the 250 a bit? Specifically how it likes the on road stuff and what sort of MPG it gets if you've bothered checking. I'm wondering if I might be happy with that for a commute where I generally just putt along at 55 for 20-25mi each way and have something smaller than the KLR pig to learn how to ride off road with.

So, the past few days were nice for riding. On Thursday, I headed out for the Oceola county campground at Rose lake where some friends had their campers. I like the hills up there better than the relative flat around home. Not much adventuring here, just stuck to paved roads for the most part.

Today, I rode back home from there, but took M61 to Gladwin to grab the Mid-Mi area tag, and took M18 to get back home.
I like it a lot. It'll do 60 fine. Mpg is between 50-60 for me depending how you ride. I've upgraded the springs to match my weight and lowered it slightly to match my short legs. It works pretty well offroad, but if I already had a KLR, I probably wouldn't get a klx250s, I'd be looking more for a lighter offroad only bike like an XR250.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:57 AM   #43
jbmac
Mitten Man

wifey

After years of begging, my wife finally made a deal to go on one ride with me. So yesterday that day had come and she came with me as we moved the tag and grabbed some lunch. This is the pre-ride photo where she was still smiling and before she initiated her first death grip.

She is still in denial about how much she enjoyed it. Another couple years and she might have her own bike :) I mean I only scared her a couple times.....

Mid-Michigan Tag-o-rama
Old 06-10-2013, 05:09 PM   #44
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_sandman_454 View Post

Hey Tim, if you want, you can take my KLX for a test ride. I wouldn't mind trying our your KLR. ;) How about a meet n' greet sometime soon? Justin?

Old 06-11-2013, 08:10 PM   #45
the_sandman_454 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmac View Post
After years of begging, my wife finally made a deal to go on one ride with me. So yesterday that day had come and she came with me as we moved the tag and grabbed some lunch. This is the pre-ride photo where she was still smiling and before she initiated her first death grip.

She is still in denial about how much she enjoyed it. Another couple years and she might have her own bike :) I mean I only scared her a couple times.....
Excellent display of persistence. Hopefully she decides it is something she can get used to or even enjoy. Do you have a communications system? She might enjoy it more if she had an effective way to yell at you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
I like it a lot. It'll do 60 fine. Mpg is between 50-60 for me depending how you ride. I've upgraded the springs to match my weight and lowered it slightly to match my short legs. It works pretty well offroad, but if I already had a KLR, I probably wouldn't get a klx250s, I'd be looking more for a lighter offroad only bike like an XR250.
Thanks for that Mike. Sounds like time for me to start checking some of the bike threads in the thumper forum more closely, and perhaps go sit on a few different ones to see what I'll fit on and be happy with.

I'm not sure how long I'll have the KLR. I like its' brutally simple technology, reasonable maintenance intervals, and decent gas mileage (except trying to go 80+ on the slab). It tends to want to burn oil when ran at sustained high RPM and lacks a 6th gear which I've found to be extremely frustrating though when trying to burn some miles on the slab.

I could fix the oil burning with one of the forged pistons various folks are offering, but I really don't feel like spending money on it other than normal maintenance stuff since I'm not sure I'll be keeping it long term. Besides, it hardly burns any if kept under about 5000rpm and I usually don't go over that. I have 14,300 miles on it so far.

I've already gone to a 16 tooth front sprocket (stock is a 15) which helped a bit, and am tempted to go to a 17t when I replace the chain soon. The 17 tooth front sprocket will probably make it essentially street only due to being geared so high, but it would be nice to turn a few less rpm at highway speed.

I don't know what will ultimately replace the KLR, but I'm thinking it'll definitely have a 6th gear and likely some more power for higher speed bursts on the slab when I really want to burn up some miles. The F800GS has caught my eye, as well as a few of the other adv type bikes. The Strom looks interesting, I used to have an SV650 and really liked that engine. In addition to the KLR or whatever replaces it down the road, I do think I would enjoy also having a smaller more nimble off road biased bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
Hey Tim, if you want, you can take my KLX for a test ride. I wouldn't mind trying our your KLR. ;) How about a meet n' greet sometime soon? Justin?
That sounds like a plan. When sounds good for y'all? For me this weekend Saturday is booked up already for me but so far Sunday is wide open. I'll be busy the weekend after this one.