Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2013, 01:09 PM   #61
Entrepre-neer OP
Ultimate Tight A$$

Oddometer: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacl-Kampuchea View Post
Nice build and a fantastic bottom line too

Do you think that you may want just a bit more seat going forward? What you have looks like it might not be fun on rough stuff.

The seat foam is a really comfortable so far. It's a rubbery neoprene style foam so it absorbs shock well. I'm thinking I can add another layer (about 1cm thick) on the whole seat and still maintain the shape and look I've got.

The peg location with respect to the new thinner seat height is more of an issue. The pegs are mounted via the lower engine mount bolt and have about a 2 inch rise from there. I think I can chop and re-weld the mount so that the index that keeps them from spinning on the bolt still does its job. If I go down and back that 2 inches I think I'll be set.

Anyone know of a source for cheap steel dirt bike foot pegs that are rather large? I may end up grafting 2 sets together.

CB900 Scrambler - Build Thread http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=886759
Entrepre-neer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:50 PM   #62
Pezz_gs
Cant ride for crap

Oddometer: 3,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrepre-neer View Post

The biggest hurdle to progress is that I'm pretty satisfied with the bike as is (I still think I want some extra suspension) and I've got the itch to work over an old thumper. GN, SR, XR, XT.......?

And this is waiting in the garage for some love...

It's a basket case project I picked up about 6 months ago for almost free. FT500 motor in a modified CL175 frame, CB550 forks with dual disk setup, aluminum rear wheel, Clip-ons, rear sets, tiny little bike with a bigger thumper motor. No title but I think I can fix that.
1) I just cut the swingarm and inserted 100mm, but you could do that easily and insert 50mm, then match your forks to the rise. Find a fork that have heavy springs

2) Like your next project

Pezz_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:51 AM   #63
Entrepre-neer OP
Ultimate Tight A$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezz_gs View Post
1) I just cut the swingarm and inserted 100mm, but you could do that easily and insert 50mm, then match your forks to the rise. Find a fork that have heavy springs

2) Like your next project

I think I could machine two pieces of plate steel to extent the axle carriers at the end of the swingarm. It's 7mm or 8mm thick steel I can't remember. I'll be making a bracket to accept modern eye-to-eye shocks as well so I can do that at the same time.

CB900 Scrambler - Build Thread http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=886759
Old 05-30-2013, 08:16 AM   #64
Entrepre-neer OP
Ultimate Tight A$$

That's what shakedowns are for...

Here's a cool blurry cell phone pic.

I've ridden the bike to work every day this week without any hiccups.

Yesterday evening I felt like doing a non-commute ride so I went to some local back roads near my house. On my way back home I heard a distinct metallic twang and ringing from behind me followed by the an intermittent vibration under the seat. I was cruising about 30mph at the time so I eased off the throttle and used front brake to get her to the side of the road. I put it on the kickstand and assess the back end only to find the above situation.

The jam nut on the damper rod wasn't tight enough on re-assembly so it backed out of the upper shock mount and let loose on a bump which let the spring fly off while I was going down the road. The ring sound I heard was the spring rolling down the road behind me before ending up in the grass on the shoulder. The vibration under the seat was the rear tire kissing the seat pan since it only had one shock to support my ass.

This is why I wear ATGATT. And this is why I carry a basic metric tool kit.

I walked back up the road and retrieved the spring. Re-assembled and finished my ride a few miles to the house. Consider me luck yet again that the spring didn't end up in the spokes or bounce into an oncoming car or come loose doing 70 on the highway.

Note: I noticed a good amount of whatever damping fluid is supposed to be in these old shocks making its way to the outside. They didn't look servicable when I had them apart so my quest for new suspension needs to happen sooner than later I suppose.

8.3 weeks to Rally WV.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:03 PM   #65
dakman74
moto-butcher expert

Oddometer: 46
Ahh the thrills of builds/shakedowns. I'm still fighting an oil leak (last time it was "cascading" oil on the back tire...adventure bike? yeah oiled back tire is an adventure), and now I have a freakin fork seal leak that's driving me bonkers...If I ever find a company that sells guaranteed never-leak fork seals I'm gonna pop for them...did I mention I hate changing fork seals? My Goldwing got seals done about mid-season last year and one is leaking again %#%#&##$&##&$!!! And on the Goldwing by the time you notice the seal leaking, it's already soaked the damn brake pad. Some days I cuss fork seals enough I seriously consider a springer/shocked front-end!

At least it might give me an excuse to get those progressive fork springs for the XV, and I guess try some of those seal-savers. :-S I've heard good and bad with regards to the seal-savers. Some have no issues, others have them build up crud quickly and trash seals, so....
Old 05-31-2013, 10:40 AM   #66
Entrepre-neer OP
Ultimate Tight A$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakman74 View Post
If I ever find a company that sells guaranteed never-leak fork seals I'm gonna pop for them...

I've heard good and bad with regards to the seal-savers. Some have no issues, others have them build up crud quickly and trash seals, so....
This is my first time riding a bike I've had torn down to the frame and put back together. It's a different dimension of riding when you put that kind of faith in your own wrenching ability...I still carry a pretty comprehensive tool kit.

As for fork seals I've had good luck with All Balls seals. YMMV of course.

For the seal savers get a set thet's long enough to cover the top of the fork tube all the way up to the lower tree. Also put two zip ties at each end to ensure a that dirt isn't creeping in. Zip ties are chaep so I pull them back to check them periodically.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:02 AM   #67
Entrepre-neer OP
Ultimate Tight A$$

loose ends

I fixed the rear shock and motor mount bolts. I went over the whole bike making sure no external fastners are loose. Probably not the last time that will be required.

I finished wiring up my dash lights last night. The female pins from the stock harness were the same as the ones in the connectors supplied by Trail Tech (I haven't looked up the official name for these connectors) so I unclipped them from the 9-pin stock gauge cluster plug and inserted them in the new 6-pin harness. (after an hour or so of drinking beer and looking at the wiring diagram and confirming with a multimeter)

I ran two lights for the turn signals, a neutral/clutch in light, and the oil pressure light. I may combine the turn indicators and run the high beam indicator...not sure which I prefer.

The turn indicators share a common ground and seperate positive.

The neutral and oil light share a positive and two seperate grounds. This is important to note since the indicator bulbs are LED and have to have the correct polarity.

The stock flasher relay didn't work with the new LED signals so I borrowed the LED flasher relay from my KTM to test it out. BINGO! I'll throw the one I ordered back on the KTM when it comes in the mail.

I wet sanded the tank again where the gas fumes melted my masking paper into the paint. I sanded the whole tank enough to cut down on the maroon nature of that last coat of paint too. After the 400 grit wet sanding I dried it and rubbed it down with scratch remover/polishing compound. It left it with a really nice satin finish that looks sort of like vintage paint that'soxidized but has been waxed.

This post is almost worthless without pics.....

I'll get some tonight.

Entrepre-neer screwed with this post 05-31-2013 at 11:21 AM
Old 05-31-2013, 04:58 PM   #68
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrepre-neer View Post

8.3 weeks to Rally WV.
I love it!!!! Sorry about the shock.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:53 PM   #69
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,002
I had a set of Koni 76 shocks fail like that one at a time, at speed on the racetrack.
The first one went at the AHRMA Daytona races in 1989. I was on my Ducati 250 in practice when I felt a punch on my left ass cheek. When I pulled off there was the spring still on the bottom part and the shock shaft was broken just below the jam nut.
I borrowed a Suzuki shock from a guy ,same length, and finished the weekend.
At the next race , Road Atlanta, practice , bump on the ass, same deal.
I had used those shocke for 2 years , 13 race weekends , no problem.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:51 AM   #70
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post
I had a set of Koni 76 shocks fail like that one at a time, at speed on the racetrack.
The first one went at the AHRMA Daytona races in 1989. I was on my Ducati 250 in practice when I felt a punch on my left ass cheek. When I pulled off there was the spring still on the bottom part and the shock shaft was broken just below the jam nut.
I borrowed a Suzuki shock from a guy ,same length, and finished the weekend.
At the next race , Road Atlanta, practice , bump on the ass, same deal.
I had used those shocke for 2 years , 13 race weekends , no problem.
So what you're saying is he's screwed!
Old 06-01-2013, 01:58 PM   #71
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,002
You said that, not me.
It was a bum deal trying to get replacements from Koni USA , though. I saw where they had an office in Ky., so I stopped in. Who are you, do you have a dealership / No , buzz off. Same deal when I stopped at KK in Dayton, they didn't let me in the door.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:42 PM   #72
snake89
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Dude, im digging your ride. Im slowly converting my 2000 Kaw W650 into a scrambler though ive been riding it offroad for years. In the meantime i picked up a 75 Honda CL360 and am turning it into a desert sled or urban scrambler. Trials tires, shorty mufflers, CB tank & seat done brat style, no turnsignals or horn, & handguards. Just a little stripped down on/offroad play bike & commuter. These things are more fun than the law allows. Theres a trail down every powerline in town (Memphis) & trails in lots of wooded lots in the middle of town plus lots of gravel roads nearby. Hide the women & children !!!
Old 06-04-2013, 06:17 AM   #73
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post
You said that, not me.
It was a bum deal trying to get replacements from Koni USA , though. I saw where they had an office in Ky., so I stopped in. Who are you, do you have a dealership / No , buzz off. Same deal when I stopped at KK in Dayton, they didn't let me in the door.
Wow! That sucks. Finest in customer service.

How's it coming Braden??
Old 06-07-2013, 12:45 PM   #74
Entrepre-neer OP
Ultimate Tight A$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
How's it coming Braden??
Bless me Father for I have modified a motorcycle. It has been 7 days since my last build update. These are my build pictures....

I've been riding more than wrenching the last week or so...where were we...

I finished wiring the new dash and signals.
Looks good and it works!

Also messed with the paint on the tank. I need a better camera and the right lighting to do it justice.

Last Thursday I had to stay late at work and got caught riding home in a downpour. Once everything was good and soaked I lost spark intermittently. Not sure if it was a bad ground to the coils or spark getting out of the plug wires. I was able to keep teh rev up and nurse it home.

All my plug wires, connectors, and the inside of my controls got a good coat of wire dryer(dielectric spray stuff..smells mostly like silicone spray). I was back in business once things dried out and my ride to work last Friday was uneventful. Hope I don't test that again but I may get teh garden hose out and give it a shower to be sure it's "fixed".

I went to Queen City Mods and Rockers Rally last Saturday with the bike. Had tons of fun! There were probably 200 motorcycles and scooters and 175 differnent makes and models. Japanese, American, Britich, Euro, etc. etc with some stock and pristine, some rat bikes, some cafe bikes, some in between and hardly any two alike!
Plus great live music and pinup girsl and roller girls and more bikes!

https://www.facebook.com/#!/QueenCit...ockers?fref=ts
https://www.facebook.com/#!/media/se...9208730&type=1
https://www.facebook.com/#!/media/se...0963098&type=1

The ride for the day went all around the Ohio river valley near Cinci. I made it through about 3/4 of the 100 mile ride and my bike wouldn't pull at one of the stoplights. Sweep crew had a volt meter. Battery was about 9 volts...damn....not charging.
Luckily the guys I went to the rally with had trailered to town so I had a ride home and didn't have to cut the party short!!!! On a good note the bike handles great on the current rubber and until the electrical gremlin it ran really strong.

I think it was just a loose fuse or connection on the relay but I'll confirm that this weekend. This past week I was working long days every day and I didn't make time to thouroughly trouble shoot.

I have a spare stator in one of the parts boxes that looks good and has the proper resistance. I'll also probably order a new reg/rec just to be on the safe side come race day.

7.1 weeks to Rally WV. The adventure continues!!!

Old 06-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #75
Entrepre-neer OP
Ultimate Tight A$$

Sparky

I tracked my charging issue down to a faulty charging rotor. The rotor rotates inside the coil which is mouted to the case cover. The rotor should be at ~4.3ohms across the two copper slip rings but it reads 0.8ohms which I'm told indicates a short in the windings. The coil is good and my parts box had a good spare. The interwebs also tell me that when the rotor goes it usually takes the reg/rect as well so...$250 later I have parts on the way. I'm hoping to do another local ride if the parts get here Friday and they are all I need to fix the glitch.