Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2013, 07:59 PM   #76
dakman74
moto-butcher expert

Oddometer: 46
Keep the faith, brother. It's always some little thing, a labor of love on these beasts to keep 'em going. I don't think I've ever had a project bike that was completely "finished" or "perfect" but I sure as hell enjoy them a lot more than some boring showroom queen! Hell even my "showroom" Bandit 1200S in bad-ass black got a Yoshimura pipe, different seat for comfort, soft saddlebags, bar-risers, extended touring windscreen (tinted), cat-eye signals, heated grips...probably other mods I'm forgetting. And it's satisfying to show up on something that you KNOW no-one else will be riding. :-D
Old 06-13-2013, 03:05 PM   #77
Entrepre-neer OP
Ultimate Tight A$$

Oddometer: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakman74 View Post
Keep the faith, brother. It's always some little thing, a labor of love on these beasts to keep 'em going. I don't think I've ever had a project bike that was completely "finished" or "perfect" but I sure as hell enjoy them a lot more than some boring showroom queen! Hell even my "showroom" Bandit 1200S in bad-ass black got a Yoshimura pipe, different seat for comfort, soft saddlebags, bar-risers, extended touring windscreen (tinted), cat-eye signals, heated grips...probably other mods I'm forgetting. And it's satisfying to show up on something that you KNOW no-one else will be riding. :-D
Yeah this bike has been super satisfying and I was due for a good project to take my mind off of work and knock off the winter cobwebs. I expect once the bugs are worked out I'll have a really reliable ride. I wouldn't consider racing it if I didn't think that was the case.

CB900 Scrambler - Build Thread http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=886759
Entrepre-neer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:29 PM   #78
M.A.G.
I heart Penalties

Oddometer: 1,010
"Not one of the fast ones..."

That's funny, man....

John ( Rally WVA and SB )
M.A.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:22 PM   #79
Entrepre-neer OP
Ultimate Tight A$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.A.G. View Post
"Not one of the fast ones..."

That's funny, man....

John ( Rally WVA and SB )
Yeah. Mike Gilkey is a fast guy...sideways at 80 on a 950 adventure s...that's ballsey and fast!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

CB900 Scrambler - Build Thread http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=886759

Entrepre-neer screwed with this post 06-14-2013 at 10:59 PM
Old 06-14-2013, 07:51 PM   #80
M.A.G.
I heart Penalties

Oddometer: 1,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrepre-neer View Post
Yeah. Mike Gilkey is a fast guy...sideways at 80 on a 950 adventure s...that's ballast and fast!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, well, that's like comparing yourself as a Ferrari, to an Indy car or something...You, my friend, are fast as shit.
Gilkey is a Demi-God.
M.A.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:39 PM   #81
hiawassee
Fair play t'ya!

Oddometer: 199
Truly an inspiration! Sweet ride, Braden. I have an '81 KZ1000 completely disassembled in SC waiting to come home. Been at a buddy's house who said he was gonna turn it into a bobber several years ago for me, but that never happened. considering our recent history with the rallies, i think i dig the scrambler idea a lot more. although I'm not sure i could shed the weight of that big ass motor.

If I wasn't in the first phase of building a new house, I'd probably be duplicating this thread.

Great job on the bike. Won't be at RWV this time around due to aforementioned house build, but best of luck. And keep clear of the wildlife this time!!

...oh, and since we're practically neighbors, I may have to pay you a visit for some time on those local back roads around your place. I'll bring the WR, but might have to have a go on the scrambler.

- jason

'81 KZ1000 (resting in pieces)
'01 WR426F
'07 WR450F
hiawassee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:03 PM   #82
Entrepre-neer OP
Ultimate Tight A$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiawassee View Post
Truly an inspiration! Sweet ride, Braden. I have an '81 KZ1000 completely disassembled in SC waiting to come home. Been at a buddy's house who said he was gonna turn it into a bobber several years ago for me, but that never happened. considering our recent history with the rallies, i think i dig the scrambler idea a lot more. although I'm not sure i could shed the weight of that big ass motor.

If I wasn't in the first phase of building a new house, I'd probably be duplicating this thread.

Great job on the bike. Won't be at RWV this time around due to aforementioned house build, but best of luck. And keep clear of the wildlife this time!!

...oh, and since we're practically neighbors, I may have to pay you a visit for some time on those local back roads around your place. I'll bring the WR, but might have to have a go on the scrambler.

- jason
You can take it for a spin but be warned...you wont be able to resist wrenching on that KZ afterward.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:15 PM   #83
Entrepre-neer OP
Ultimate Tight A$$

Update.

I got the new rotor on the mail. Put it on and put the cover back on. 13.1V at idle. 14.5V at 5000 rpms. Money!

So the stock Reg/Rec is good and will serve as a nice backup when I install the CBR R/R upgrade.

One thing I did notice is that it seems the old rotor was rubbing the inside of the coil at some point. I'm not sure if that is a new thing or an old scar and I'm not sure if the friction caused the failure or just old age. But it's all good now....

Old 06-15-2013, 04:12 PM   #84
hiawassee
Fair play t'ya!

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrepre-neer View Post
One thing I did notice is that it seems the old rotor was rubbing the inside of the coil at some point. I'm not sure if that is a new thing or an old scar and I'm not sure if the friction caused the failure or just old age. But it's all good now....
Can you put a thin coat of paint or something on the rubbed part, then take it for a spin and see if it rubs off? Or a piece of scotch tape?

Was thinking more about the kz...not sure if it would be tame enough for the dirt. It was hell on wheels on the pavement where there was plenty of grip. I couldn't imagine trying to wrestle that beast out of a ditch or a mud hole like our trip to perry last fall. Talk about heavy.

The frame is a J model which I think were used for drag racing. When I bought it in '96 the PO had it tuned for just that. 2 days later on an unfamiliar back road I came into a 90 degree righty waaaay too hot. Skidded thru trying to turn, kept it upright thru a ditch on the left, tried to slow down more to stop or ease back out but got foiled by a thick branch that had fallen from overhead. That shoved me back onto the road where it started power sliding right out from under me. It slid, I came off and bounced once on my ass and stood straight up. Right peg and case caught the pavement and slowed it enough for the rubber to grab and then the whole thing flipped, smashing hard on the left side.

Agony. The only thing the ad for the bike said before I bought it was " '81 KZ1000. Not for the timid. $1500" So I felt like a complete ass after that. Got it running again though and shook off the heebie jeebies and went after it properly from then on. Kinda went into disrepair after that though. No money to maintain or fix it after a couple years of riding. Life moved on.

But it has a chance for resurrection now. Just need to decide if I'm gonna keep it or not. A buddy at work is interested and would definitely give it the tlc it needs.

Then again....

'81 KZ1000 (resting in pieces)
'01 WR426F
'07 WR450F
hiawassee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:52 PM   #85
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,732
This thing is awesome.

I got to stop reading this because I have no skills to allow me to build one but man would I love to.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:52 PM   #86
Entrepre-neer OP
Ultimate Tight A$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbolling View Post
This thing is awesome.

I got to stop reading this because I have no skills to allow me to build one but man would I love to.
I think perseverance is more important than skill. this is my first bike build and I'm still learning skills in order to make this bike what I want it to be.

Also, momentum is a holy thing. Once the project is started it helps to tell the internet about it so you will feel compelled to keep making progress.

If you thought reading this was bad, wait til I get some video posted up.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:09 PM   #87
Entrepre-neer OP
Ultimate Tight A$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiawassee View Post
Can you put a thin coat of paint or something on the rubbed part, then take it for a spin and see if it rubs off? Or a piece of scotch tape?

Was thinking more about the kz...not sure if it would be tame enough for the dirt. It was hell on wheels on the pavement where there was plenty of grip. I couldn't imagine trying to wrestle that beast out of a ditch or a mud hole like our trip to perry last fall. Talk about heavy.

The frame is a J model which I think were used for drag racing. When I bought it in '96 the PO had it tuned for just that. 2 days later on an unfamiliar back road I came into a 90 degree righty waaaay too hot. Skidded thru trying to turn, kept it upright thru a ditch on the left, tried to slow down more to stop or ease back out but got foiled by a thick branch that had fallen from overhead. That shoved me back onto the road where it started power sliding right out from under me. It slid, I came off and bounced once on my ass and stood straight up. Right peg and case caught the pavement and slowed it enough for the rubber to grab and then the whole thing flipped, smashing hard on the left side.

Agony. The only thing the ad for the bike said before I bought it was " '81 KZ1000. Not for the timid. $1500" So I felt like a complete ass after that. Got it running again though and shook off the heebie jeebies and went after it properly from then on. Kinda went into disrepair after that though. No money to maintain or fix it after a couple years of riding. Life moved on.

But it has a chance for resurrection now. Just need to decide if I'm gonna keep it or not. A buddy at work is interested and would definitely give it the tlc it needs.

Then again....
Yeah...these bikes have ridiculously heavy motors and there's no way to ever make them light so I will avoid any mudholes with this one. But the sound they make just can't be found on anything modern. And no, I'd say an 85hp inline four is not tame enough for dirt...and the old CV carbs build power in way that only compounds that predicament...but it gets at least 100 smiles per mile on an empty gravel road.

You should at least get that KZ to my house since you're in the middle of a house build. It's worth more if it's together and running. I'm selling the only vehicle that ever gets parking in my garage so I'll have room for a few more bikes.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:23 PM   #88
Bluebone
straight to hell

Oddometer: 2,343
ok, i'm in!!

i have an old '80 cb750 thats been gathering dust for years and this is right up my alley for what i want to do with it.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:43 AM   #89
Entrepre-neer OP
Ultimate Tight A$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebone View Post
i have an old '80 cb750 thats been gathering dust for years and this is right up my alley for what i want to do with it.
DO IT!!

All the better that you know the bike. The first piece of advice I got when I started this project was, "Start with a running bike." ....and that was the first piece of advice I ignored. It worked out but I could have ended up asshole deep in an engine swap if I hadn't been so lucky. Now show us some pictures.

Also, Check out these CB750 builds:

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43860.0

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=48084.15

Old 06-20-2013, 07:16 PM   #90
Wile_E
n00b

Oddometer: 7
XR650R parts

Alright, the forum doesn't like it when I post pictures.

The bike looks awesome. I definitely get the dRift Bike concept. Progress and execution thus far has been inspirational.

So to keep it going, I'm offering up some old XR650R junk. For your consideration: triples, forks, stem, axle, wheel, caliper. Let me know if you need specs, or anything. You pay brown and I'll send it your way.

Crowd-sourced custom budget ralley race bike would be awesome. Swingarm anyone?

Wile_E screwed with this post 06-20-2013 at 07:26 PM
Wile_E is offline   Reply With Quote