Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2013, 07:57 AM   #91
hiawassee
Fair play t'ya!

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrepre-neer View Post
You should at least get that KZ to my house since you're in the middle of a house build. It's worth more if it's together and running. I'm selling the only vehicle that ever gets parking in my garage so I'll have room for a few more bikes.

sounds like you just volunteered to rebuild my bike!! man, what a swell guy! just for that, I could probably rustle up a barrel of bourbon for you.

actually, the co-worker I mentioned who's interested in the bike does restorations. just a matter of whether i want to give it up or not. I should probably just see how much it would cost for the refurb and go from there. doesn't need to be show-worthy, just road-worthy. maybe I'll wait till the house is built then put some effort into it.

first thing it needs is a motor. when my former neighbor tore it down he discovered a crack in the head and that the crankshaft was warped!! so that little dump i described previously must've done more damage than I thought. the crack is barely noticeable, so maybe it could be welded (now that you're an expert) and I would only need to replace the crank....as far as the motor is concerned. there's plenty more that probably needs replaced.

every time I think about resurrecting this thing, all I hear are cash registers ringing in my ears. but you managed to pull off your project on a super tight budget, so maybe there's hope.

anyway, it's coming home in boxes in a couple weeks. I'll have it assessed to get some rough estimates and we'll go from there.

'81 KZ1000 (resting in pieces)
'01 WR426F
'07 WR450F
hiawassee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:59 AM   #92
hiawassee
Fair play t'ya!

and that vehicle you mentioned selling....the only one that's ever parked in your garage...that's not the old pickup I saw in your project photos is it?

'01 WR426F
'07 WR450F
Old 06-21-2013, 08:52 AM   #93
Entrepre-neer OP
Ultimate Tight A$$

Oddometer: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile_E View Post
Alright, the forum doesn't like it when I post pictures.

The bike looks awesome. I definitely get the dRift Bike concept. Progress and execution thus far has been inspirational.

So to keep it going, I'm offering up some old XR650R junk. For your consideration: triples, forks, stem, axle, wheel, caliper. Let me know if you need specs, or anything. You pay brown and I'll send it your way.

Crowd-sourced custom budget ralley race bike would be awesome. Swingarm anyone?

[IMG=640x480]http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg264/hudlenutz/Ebay/XR650Rtriples.jpg[/IMG]
Wile_E Coyote: ADVRider Super Lurker....now with more good karma!

Paypal sent for shipping!

Now we're getting somewhere.

And by the way...You know the thought of that KTM swingarm with the linkless PDS suspension has crossed my mind more than once. Should be fairly easy process to weld in a single upper shock mount.

CB900 Scrambler - Build Thread http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=886759

Entrepre-neer screwed with this post 06-21-2013 at 09:04 AM
Entrepre-neer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:01 AM   #94
Entrepre-neer OP
Ultimate Tight A$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiawassee View Post
and that vehicle you mentioned selling....the only one that's ever parked in your garage...that's not the old pickup I saw in your project photos is it?
Sure enough. I've owned it and enjoyed it for 10 years but I started to lose that lovin feeling. (Cue top gun bar sceen) Over the years I've learned that's how I am with all my toys so now I buy with that in mind. The good news is I have money and space for about 4 or 5 more bikes now. Let the fun begin.

CB900 Scrambler - Build Thread http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=886759
Old 06-21-2013, 09:09 AM   #95
Entrepre-neer OP
Ultimate Tight A$$

Quote:
sounds like you just volunteered to rebuild my bike!! man, what a swell guy! just for that, I could probably rustle up a barrel of bourbon for you.

actually, the co-worker I mentioned who's interested in the bike does restorations. just a matter of whether i want to give it up or not. I should probably just see how much it would cost for the refurb and go from there. doesn't need to be show-worthy, just road-worthy. maybe I'll wait till the house is built then put some effort into it.

first thing it needs is a motor. when my former neighbor tore it down he discovered a crack in the head and that the crankshaft was warped!! so that little dump i described previously must've done more damage than I thought. the crack is barely noticeable, so maybe it could be welded (now that you're an expert) and I would only need to replace the crank....as far as the motor is concerned. there's plenty more that probably needs replaced.

every time I think about resurrecting this thing, all I hear are cash registers ringing in my ears. but you managed to pull off your project on a super tight budget, so maybe there's hope.

anyway, it's coming home in boxes in a couple weeks. I'll have it assessed to get some rough estimates and we'll go from there.
I sent you a PM for a parts bike near us. If you put a tight ass like me onthe hunt for parts and don't mind rattle can paint and some elbow grease you could be back on the road without too much strain on the wallet.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:26 AM   #96
Entrepre-neer OP
Ultimate Tight A$$

I put the order in for new shocks today.

I went with Progressive Suspension Series 13 in a 16.5" length. The part number is 13-1241B for anybody keeping track. These have 5.9 inches of travel without the bump stop so I should get a full 5" of travel out of them. The dampers and springs will be $200. To go with somthing that offers some adjustable damping is closer to $600 and I'm too cheap for that right now.

The part number for the springs is 03-1323B and the stiffness of the pair of springs is 80 and 175 lbs/in.

This shock isn't listed as a fit for the '79 CB750k but the 15" version listed for the '84 CB700SC has this spring rate as the one to use.

Here's the propoganda:
Double-wall steel shock body for durability.
Low pressure foam cell for superior, fade-free damping.
Velocity-sensitive valving automatically adjusts for optimum ride and handling.
5-position spring pre-load is adjusted by a cam.
Precision ground, hard chromed 1/2" diameter steel shaft.
16.5" long, mounts eyelet-to-eyelet.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:53 AM   #97
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,314
Quote:
I put the order in for new shocks today.

I went with Progressive Suspension Series 13 in a 16.5" length. The part number is 13-1241B for anybody keeping track. These have 5.9 inches of travel without the bump stop so I should get a full 5" of travel out of them. The dampers and springs will be $200. To go with somthing that offers some adjustable damping is closer to $600 and I'm too cheap for that right now.

The part number for the springs is 03-1323B and the stiffness of the pair of springs is 80 and 175 lbs/in.

This shock isn't listed as a fit for the '79 CB750k but the 15" version listed for the '84 CB700SC has this spring rate as the one to use.

Here's the propoganda:
Double-wall steel shock body for durability.
Low pressure foam cell for superior, fade-free damping.
Velocity-sensitive valving automatically adjusts for optimum ride and handling.
5-position spring pre-load is adjusted by a cam.
Precision ground, hard chromed 1/2" diameter steel shaft.
16.5" long, mounts eyelet-to-eyelet.

Shouldn't the bottom be a clevis instead of an eye?
Old 06-24-2013, 10:10 AM   #98
Entrepre-neer OP
Ultimate Tight A$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by McJamie View Post
Shouldn't the bottom be a clevis instead of an eye?
Excellent observation!

I'm going to modify the swingarm to accept the eye-to-eye shock. There are more shock options in this configuration.

One plan is to machine the eye off the swingarm and weld a clevis.

The other plan is to make a clevis bracket that ties into the eye on the swingarm and another bolt through the axle carrier.

Since the stock shocks are junk I may cut the clevis off if it's the right size.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:05 PM   #99
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,314
Quote:
Excellent observation!

I'm going to modify the swingarm to accept the eye-to-eye shock. There are more shock options in this configuration.

One plan is to machine the eye off the swingarm and weld a clevis.

The other plan is to make a clevis bracket that ties into the eye on the swingarm and another bolt through the axle carrier.

Since the stock shocks are junk I may cut the clevis off if it's the right size.
I'm pretty sure Honda is the only one that does that, they obviously feel it's a better set-up[ even though the rest of the world seems to function fine otherwise.
It's going to limit my choices a bit when I buy mine.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:53 PM   #100
Entrepre-neer OP
Ultimate Tight A$$

13 Series

Christmas in June.

Here's a little comparison shot of the new suspenders vs the originals.

And a little mockup. I think the 21" front wheel that's coming with the new forks will balance the look really well. Also, it's still on the lift here so there will be some sag with my ballast on the seat.

Almost a monolever vibe..

The math said I would have clearance at full compression but I had to check

Check! About an inch and a half of clearance.

I'm still working on mounting ideas but at least now I can measure before I start cutting.

Here's what I'm dealing with.....

Old 06-27-2013, 10:25 AM   #101
hiawassee
Fair play t'ya!

looking at the pics of the bottom mount for the new shock (in the last 3 pics), I'm not sure what you need to cut. looks like it'll mount just fine. did I miss something?

also, can I assume that swingarm mount point is threaded?

'01 WR426F
'07 WR450F
Old 06-27-2013, 10:33 AM   #102
Entrepre-neer OP
Ultimate Tight A$$

Quote:
looking at the pics of the bottom mount for the new shock (in the last 3 pics), I'm not sure what you need to cut. looks like it'll mount just fine. did I miss something?

also, can I assume that swingarm mount point is threaded?
The swingarm mount is just a rubber bushing with a metal insert. The clevis on the stock shock is threaded on one of the ears.

Mounting to the stock eye on the swinger forces the shock out of alightment (to the outside) at the bottom. I'm not a fan of that angle. It is more pronounced as the shock compresses and I'm not sure if that lateral force will eat the rubber bushings or perhaps the internal shock seals.

Here's what I have in mind for my first try at mounting. I'm going to machine two plates for each side of the swingarm. Ill bolt them together via the stock mount hole and an additional hole I'll drill through the axle carrier plate on the swingarm.

Entrepre-neer screwed with this post 06-27-2013 at 11:00 AM
Old 06-27-2013, 10:59 AM   #103
hiawassee
Fair play t'ya!

Quote:
The swingarm mount is just a rubber bushing with a metal insert. The clevis on the stock shock is threaded on one of the ears.

Mounting to the stock eye on the swinger forces the shock out of alightment (to the outside) at the bottom. I'm not a fan of that angle. It is more pronounced as the shock compresses and I'm not sure if that lateral force will eat the rubber bushings or perhaps the internal shock seals.

yeah, seems like if it's not flush, the awkward angle and repeated compression would most likely have an adverse affect on the soft bushing as well as the shock seal. improper wear = premature deterioration.

since you've essentially got a blank canvas to work with, may as well do it right. if you're racing that thing at RWV next month, you can bet that course won't be very forgiving. the logging roads weren't bad for the most part, but there are a couple sections where the suspension, especially on that heavy ass bike, will take a beating.

'01 WR426F
'07 WR450F
Old 06-27-2013, 11:43 AM   #104
Bambi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Hello,
isn't the original shock of that bike equipped with a kind of 'fork' on the low-side that graps from above to both sides of the mounting-eye on the swinging-arm? Is your shock mounted in a straight line between the upper and lower mounting-point? It may not be mounted canted to the out- or the inside! Please show a pic taken from behind of the bike showing both mounts.
Kind regards, Bambi
Old 06-27-2013, 01:33 PM   #105
Entrepre-neer OP
Ultimate Tight A$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
Hello,
isn't the original shock of that bike equipped with a kind of 'fork' on the low-side that graps from above to both sides of the mounting-eye on the swinging-arm? Is your shock mounted in a straight line between the upper and lower mounting-point? It may not be mounted canted to the out- or the inside! Please show a pic taken from behind of the bike showing both mounts.
Kind regards, Bambi
The stock shock clevis mount looks like this. There are plenty of options up to 15" that offer this but 16"+ shocks have the more common eye-2-eye ends.

Some guys have made extentions for these to get extra ride height.

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43860.0

CRD uses something like this slid over the swingarm to get extra height.

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43860.0

I'm going to mount the eye to eye shocks in line with the stock mount but slightly forward.

Here's a rough rear view. The red will be my mounting plates on either side with bolts through at 3 points.

Entrepre-neer screwed with this post 06-27-2013 at 02:09 PM