The next Chief! What is NEW at Indian

Another teaser. Starting at $19K!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=BhDvAqLeE8E
jmlmjmjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:52 AM   #2
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,701
I saw cruise control and a left side muffler and that's a much lower price than predicted!!

larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:57 AM   #3
jmlmjmjm OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 838
Here it is embedded:
Old 05-13-2013, 09:03 AM   #4
Mr. Magoo
n/a

Oddometer: 4,948
Can't wait to see it!
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:25 AM   #5
Super Sneaky Steve
B@nned Club :D

Oddometer: 4,254
I hope it does well so they will make a cheaper Scout for about half the price. I'd like to ride an Indian but not for $19K.
Super Sneaky Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:33 AM   #6
dom1104
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
Meh. It doesnt rustle my jimmies.
dom1104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:37 PM   #7
131unlimited
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Really looking forward to it !
131unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:02 PM   #8
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by 131unlimited View Post
Really looking forward to it !

Did I miss something? All I saw was an engine, some emblems, a handlebar control pod, and what appeared to be an Indian fender thingy. Oh yeah, and a "STARTING AT $18999 price tag".

How can anyone say whether they like it or not? Although, from what I saw, I'm pretty sure I can say that it isn't my cup of tea. Not into the whole chrome and nostalgia thing....

But, on another note, I hate to be a naysayer but... How many times has an unsuccessful attempt been made to bring back "Indian"? Is this a good economic time to try to start up a company like this, selling a high end, high priced, disposable income "toy"? I mean it's one thing for long established manufacturers that have a customer base and a name already established. But, an upstart with an unproven product and a name that has been associated with debacles and failures several times over the last couple of decades?

I wish them luck, but they won't be getting my money. Not for a new bike, or as an investment opportunity. Hopefully I'll be wrong, but history says I'm probably not...

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:12 PM   #9
131unlimited
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Did I miss something? All I saw was an engine, some emblems, a handlebar control pod, and what appeared to be an Indian fender thingy. Oh yeah, and a "STARTING AT $18999 price tag".

How can anyone say whether they like it or not? Although, from what I saw, I'm pretty sure I can say that it isn't my cup of tea. Not into the whole chrome and nostalgia thing....

But, on another note, I hate to be a naysayer but... How many times has an unsuccessful attempt been made to bring back "Indian"? Is this a good economic time to try to start up a company like this, selling a high end, high priced, disposable income "toy"? I mean it's one thing for long established manufacturers that have a customer base and a name already established. But, an upstart with an unproven product and a name that has been associated with debacles and failures several times over the last couple of decades?

I wish them luck, but they won't be getting my money. Not for a new bike, or as an investment opportunity. Hopefully I'll be wrong, but history says I'm probably not...

So dont get one and feel free to spend your time online bitching about how much it costs or not seeing what the big deal is. I'm looking forward to seeing a new Indian Chief with a new drivetrain being produced !

My Grandfather was an orphan during the great depression and started out as a carpenter, he did not have enough money for a car, but he scraped up enough cash to get a Chief. He met my grandmother, dated her and got married to her all while riding that Chief. Indians have a special place in my heart because of that.

You stay happy and run whatever you want. I'll stay happy and run HD's and mabey get lucky enough to also get a new Indian as well !
Old 05-13-2013, 01:17 PM   #10
Gham
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
I hope it does well so they will make a cheaper Scout for about half the price. I'd like to ride an Indian but not for $19K.
I don't know about half the price but I'm with you on the scout idea!

Society Historicus Revisioniscus
Gham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:38 PM   #11
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 131unlimited View Post
So dont get one and feel free to spend your time online bitching about how much it costs or not seeing what the big deal is. I'm looking forward to seeing a new Indian Chief with a new drivetrain being produced !

My Grandfather was an orphan during the great depression and started out as a carpenter, he did not have enough money for a car, but he scraped up enough cash to get a Chief. He met my grandmother, dated her and got married to her all while riding that Chief. Indians have a special place in my heart because of that.

You stay happy and run whatever you want. I'll stay happy and run HD's and mabey get lucky enough to also get a new Indian as well !
Well, like I said, I don't want to be a naysayer or piss on anyone's parade. I with them luck. And I wish you luck as well if it's what your heart desires. And then I'll extend that wish in that you can find a dealer and parts for it in five years time. History just doesn't bode well for new motorcycle upstarts, especially with the name of Indian. And in THIS economy?

Hopefully I'm wrong. New motorcycles are a good thing, even if they aren't what I personally want. Who knows, maybe one day my taste will evolve and I may decide that's just what I want. I mean, until late last year I'd have never dreamed that I'd want a H-D but now I'm enjoying mine very much.

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Old 05-13-2013, 01:44 PM   #12
131unlimited
Gnarly Adventurer

Enjoy it !
Old 05-13-2013, 01:49 PM   #13
jmlmjmjm OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Well, like I said, I don't want to be a naysayer or piss on anyone's parade. I with them luck. And I wish you luck as well if it's what your heart desires. And then I'll extend that wish in that you can find a dealer and parts for it in five years time. History just doesn't bode well for new motorcycle upstarts, especially with the name of Indian. And in THIS economy?

Hopefully I'm wrong. New motorcycles are a good thing, even if they aren't what I personally want. Who knows, maybe one day my taste will evolve and I may decide that's just what I want. I mean, until late last year I'd have never dreamed that I'd want a H-D but now I'm enjoying mine very much.

Not even close to an "upstart."

Polaris has lots of dough, manufacturing know how, and an infrastructure already producing modern, reliable, powerful, motorcycles, ATV's, military vehicles, and various other transportation devices.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:11 PM   #14
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlmjmjm View Post
Not even close to an "upstart."

Polaris has lots of dough, manufacturing know how, and an infrastructure already producing modern, reliable, powerful, motorcycles, ATV's, military vehicles, and various other transportation devices.
Well, I stand corrected! I have been known to stick my foot in my mouth on occasion. Guess I shoulda looked into it a bit before commenting huh? I guess after the past fiascos I just turned a blind eye and deaf ear to anything related to the Indian name. I didn't realize that Polaris had acquired the Indian name and was behind the venture. At least it has the backing and dealer network already in place, which is A HUGE hurdle already overcome. Is to be produced alongside their Victory line? Or possibly replace it at some point?

Well, now that I'm more informed I'll retract my prior negative remarks and be watching this space with more interest.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:21 PM   #15
jmlmjmjm OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Well, I stand corrected! I have been known to stick my foot in my mouth on occasion. Guess I shoulda looked into it a bit before commenting huh? I guess after the past fiascos I just turned a blind eye and deaf ear to anything related to the Indian name. I didn't realize that Polaris had acquired the Indian name and was behind the venture. At least it has the backing and dealer network already in place, which is A HUGE hurdle already overcome. Is to be produced alongside their Victory line? Or possibly replace it at some point?

Well, now that I'm more informed I'll retract my prior negative remarks and be watching this space with more interest.

My understanding is that Polaris will market Indian as a "Heritage" brand with iconic styling. Victory will be more forward looking in regards to styling, markets & products.

All speculation at this point. I imagine some spirited discussions within Polaris on marketing these two "brands."