Originally Posted by dom1104 View Post
Meh. It doesnt rustle my jimmies.
Me too.

To quote the little girl in the commercials "we want more. we want more!"
Old 05-13-2013, 03:31 PM   #17
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,439
I have my eye on this. I hope its not just a road king / Electra glide knockoff, and has some actual suspension and ground clearance....if its a nice riding bike, I may end up with this in the garage...unless the new KTM Adventure beats it to it....

Two awesome bikes, opposite uses...but only enough moolah for one new bike at a time....

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:34 PM   #18
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Well, I stand corrected! I have been known to stick my foot in my mouth on occasion. Guess I shoulda looked into it a bit before commenting huh? I guess after the past fiascos I just turned a blind eye and deaf ear to anything related to the Indian name. I didn't realize that Polaris had acquired the Indian name and was behind the venture. At least it has the backing and dealer network already in place, which is A HUGE hurdle already overcome. Is to be produced alongside their Victory line? Or possibly replace it at some point?

Well, now that I'm more informed I'll retract my prior negative remarks and be watching this space with more interest.

This is the best shot at a resurrection that Indian's ever had. I'm in the local Victory dealer on and off (they sell other brands too) and Polaris knows how to build some nice motorcycles. If they ever build something lighter and more standard-ish I might be there. As it is I'm not interested in 700-900lb motorcycles. Would love to see a successful Indian brand tho...
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:31 PM   #19
OConnor
Bad juju

Oddometer: 3,522
Now if they would just cover the RACING heritage part...
2000 SV650 track bike
1971 CB175 vintage racer inabox
OConnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:25 AM   #20
Super Sneaky Steve
B@nned Club :D

Oddometer: 4,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobiker View Post
This is the best shot at a resurrection that Indian's ever had. I'm in the local Victory dealer on and off (they sell other brands too) and Polaris knows how to build some nice motorcycles. If they ever build something lighter and more standard-ish I might be there. As it is I'm not interested in 700-900lb motorcycles. Would love to see a successful Indian brand tho...
I have to agree with this.

The Judge comes close, but they need to take it one more step to make it more standardish.
Super Sneaky Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:01 AM   #21
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by OConnor View Post
Now if they would just cover the RACING heritage part...
I'm with you, man. I'd like to see Indian race again.

They haven't shown me any hint they're interested in competition, and I think that's a damn shame.

At least a Scout with an affordable price tag and some monster torque would be a start. I'd be willing to go out and do my own r and d work if I could just buy a decent platform.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:36 PM   #22
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlmjmjm View Post
My understanding is that Polaris will market Indian as a "Heritage" brand with iconic styling. Victory will be more forward looking in regards to styling, markets & products.
Less Ness

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:55 PM   #23
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
I am not one to buy a bike on looks alone, it has to be usable, even practical. An Indian could be those things, but it is unlikely. Like the Bolt, it will probably be mostly a styling exercise. $20K is way better than the $30K+ the old Harley clone Indians were selling for, but still about $5K too high to be competitive. You can buy a base model Harley Electra Glide for that. But they do have that really cool engine this time, and hopefully better build quality. I can't afford it, but many can. I also can't see leaving it parked in a motel parking lot. I have owned a Vulcan 750 for 20 years (well two of them actually) and was never afraid to leave them in parking lots.

One thing I can see however, is that if I did have the money, I can see paying $20K for an Indian instead of $30K+ for a certain other American bike that is likely to never happen. I'd still probably put it on a Harley, or a Triumph Rocket III, or an FB6 though.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:39 PM   #24
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
I'm with you, man. I'd like to see Indian race again.

They haven't shown me any hint they're interested in competition, and I think that's a damn shame.
what class would you like to see them race in?

....interested in competition....

IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:31 AM   #25
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
what class would you like to see them race in?

....interested in competition....

Maybe do something like the XR1200 did and have a class/series for a Scout.
Land speed racing.
Drag racing in production classes.
Pike's peak.

You know, racing.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:33 AM   #26
jmlmjmjm OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
Maybe do something like the XR1200 did and have a class/series for a Scout.
Land speed racing.
Drag racing in production classes.
Pike's peak.

You know, racing.
This is a running replica of the World's Fastest Indian using the new engine. Supposedly this bike is going to Bonneville.....We shall see.
jmlmjmjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:37 PM   #27
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
Flat track maybe?
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:30 PM   #28
Terrytori
Namaste

Oddometer: 1,827
Their advertising effort is centred upon slagging Harley riders as a bunch of lemmings/sheep/poseurs.

Not sure how smart that is as I would imagine that they're looking to pick up a lot of those people... particularly at $19K a pop and up.

More important, if you're going to call the kettle black, it's best not to be a pot.

All this to say, that they have me currently believing that there will be significant dynamic improvements over what is currently being offered by the MoCo.

The potential for serious lunch bag letdown looms large.

If they had been clients of mine, I think I would have advised them the to keep it all about their customers and leaving the Bar & Shield out of it.

http://www.secordgallery.com/gallery...2_itemId=35642
Terrytori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:02 PM   #29
131unlimited
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 427
Ahhh , why not...

Racing ?!? They are not going to be racing, they are going to build a line of Indians to go head to head with the Moco.

Sure back in the day Indian and HD raced, but "newsflash" they are not ressurecting Indian and targeting squids, dirtbike riders, adv riders or guys on scooters. They are going to go after the biggest market in the US, that's cruisers and tourers.

The rivalry between Indian and HD is what the marketing is playing to. Nothing more, nothing less and they are not going to hurt the feelings of HD riders by thier current ads. As a guy that has only owned and ridden HD for the past 25 yrs, I'm one of the guys they are marketing to and I like it.

Looking forward to seeing them build out thier whole line and see where they wind up. Hoping it's a great fight.

Oh PS, if they make a good bike , the metric cruiser guys will have another choice so they can continue to rant about hating the moco and can ride an Indian instead of the current drivel of HD wannabe clones ( waiting for all the my-bike-brakes-better-BS to follow). And the guys that dont like what is offered from the Ness Freaks from the Victory line might get one to, "if" they build them right.

There will be no squid racing program with full spacesuits and cloaks of plastic... That will be left to the folks that own that market and do it right, Ducati, Agusta, Yam, Hon, Kaw and Suz. plus whoever else I forgot in this rant...
131unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:34 PM   #30
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,897
I'm sensing that $19k is their alternative to the Road King. If so, that's a bit of a premium of the RK. Are they positioning it that way, or are they allowing room for price negotiation?