Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 11:32 AM   #1
XR4EVER OP
919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer: 1,057
Daughter as a passenger... How young is too young?

Since she was old enough to talk, our oldest daughter has been dying to go for a ride with the Mrs. and I on our street bikes. I told her that the day she can comfortably reach the passenger foot pegs, and when I thought she was ready, we would take her on a ride. Well, that day was Saturday, and she loved it!

Here in Idaho, there are no age limits on passengers, as long as they wear a helmet if under 18. I was just curious, what is the general consensus on this?
Old 05-13-2013, 11:34 AM   #2
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR4EVER View Post

what is the general consensus on this?
On this forum it seems:

If they can reach the pegs and understand what is happening, then you are good to go.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:46 AM   #3
Pokeyjoe
Aprilia Dorsoduro

Oddometer: 334
I started taking my son to school at 9 (4th grade). Coolest dad ever, it seems...
Pokeyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:51 AM   #4
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
I've been taking my son [ in front of me ] on my XR since he was 2. I'd like to try the back of the streetbike sometime [ he's 6 1/2 now ] . My biggest concern is if he falls asleep. In front of me he's not going anywhere.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:58 AM   #5
XR4EVER OP
919 excuses to ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
My biggest concern is if he falls asleep.
Funny you should mention that.... That was our only problem. I had to reach back and tickle her to keep her awake for the second half of the trip home.

Both of our kids have been on the dirt bikes around the house and up our dirt road since they were old enough to reach the crossbar, and sandwiched between my wife and I before that. And in utero before that!
Old 05-13-2013, 12:02 PM   #6
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
On this forum it seems:

If they can reach the pegs and understand what is happening, then you are good to go.
That has always been my criteria - and that I have gear that fits them - helmet, jacket and gloves.

Also, take it easy - you don't want to scare them the first time.

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:10 PM   #7
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,796
I don't have any kids to contribute to this, but at this day and age, it certainly couldn't hurt to set yourselves up with BT helmet communicators so you can easily talk to them and keep up tabs on them while they are back there out of your view. This should also give you a heads up if they are getting sleepy or tired back there, plus you can check in on them from time to time. They can easily tell you if they are ready for a break, are getting cold/hot, etc. It really makes riding much more enjoyable for everyone.

IMOP, the Sena SMH10 or SMH5 with the jog dial would be the most simple ones for kids to learn how to use. It's as easy as pushing in the jog dial to reach you and pushing it again to end it and of course you can start the conversation on your side to talk to them. The jog dial also makes it very easy for them to adjust their volume so they can hear you or if its too loud so you don't hurt their ears. If your kids like music, you could also let them listen to music while they are riding. Might keep them more occupied?

The Sena SMH5's are cheaper priced with less range and smaller battery meant more for Rider/Passenger communications. However, if you plan on having bike to bike communications though with the misses, you might look at the SMH10's for the drivers as their range is better and your passenger can have the SMH5. The SMH5's can connect to the SMH10's, so you can mix & match with no issues You could also all have SMH10's too, it doesn't really matter. 3-4 way conversations are possible too.

BTW, Rocketmoto.com is a vendor here on ADV for Sena products and offers a discount to inmates!
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:14 PM   #8
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
That's a dam good idea . Thanks.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:17 PM   #9
Phineas
Joe Lunchbox

Oddometer: 161
Both my kids were around nine when I started taking them. They're both tall like their mom and so could reach the pegs and generally participate in the adventure. I'm probably the wrong person to comment here. I hate carrying a passenger, especially anyone I love more than life itself. With my kids I didn't want motorcycles to seem forbidden and exotic so I did my best not to make a big deal out of the whole thing, you wanna ride, great, you don't, I'll be back in five hours. I encouraged everyone who came over to talk about more than trail braking and countersteering, it's a big world. Now at 27 and 29 my youngest has a 250 that she uses to get around the little town she lives in and the oldest doesn't want any part of LA traffic on a bike (though she sure likes sea foam green Vespas). This is the most deeply personal decision you can make about bikes.
Phineas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:29 PM   #10
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 2,933
For street riding, touching the pegs should be the determining factor. I take my 10 yr old. My bike has a trunk and she likes if I put the side cases on as well as it gives her a more in the bike secure feeling.

+1 on the intercom. We have wonderful father daughter conversations while looking for a place to camp and fish.

I use autocom...

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:32 PM   #11
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,175
I take my 2 year old on rides all the time, i pick up my 6 year old from school, its fine.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:02 PM   #12
Capt Crash
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Utah has some feeling on this issue...

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...de.html?pg=all
Capt Crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:48 PM   #13
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,772
I think most parents are very careful when it comes to their "most precious" cargo - but not always in a smart way. However, unless you're just going around the block under the most extremely cautious of circumstances, then I suggest that availability of proper protective gear is a must. Therefore, if you can't fiind a helmet that properly fits your nine-year-old locally, you probably shouldn't be planning on taking him/her on any long rides or on high-speed roads or congested city streets, for example.

I cringe when I see a small child on the back of "dad's" bike, going through town, wearing a windbreaker and openface helmet that's probably 20 years old and ten sizes too big. Unfortunately I see this sort of thing infrequently (which is too often) although, on the positive side, the statistics include very, very few young children hurt as passengers in motorcycle crashes.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride

slartidbartfast screwed with this post 05-13-2013 at 09:06 PM
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:50 PM   #14
XR4EVER OP
919 excuses to ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Crash View Post
Utah has some feeling on this issue...

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...de.html?pg=all
That guy sounds like a real class act and deserves what is coming to him. That poor kid.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:51 PM   #15
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,069
I have a four year old who rides a CR50F of his own and I take him on short errand rides on my 950 Adventure. I put him in front of me and am on small surface streets. He has riding gear and I wouldn't think of taking him without it.
Cycle gear now has a line of Kids Street (Sport and Cruiser) Gear. Its not bad looking either.