ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 11:40 AM   #1
bmwpowere36m3 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Thomaston Dam Meetup

Figured I start an official 2013 Thomaston Dam thread for those interested in riding with others

I rode there this past weekend (twice) and it was great fun. The weather was good, nobody was there and it was dry.

bmwpowere36m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:10 PM   #2
tundra61
I wish I had a title

Oddometer: 998
What are the trails like there? Have never been
tundra61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:10 PM   #3
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,014

Just took my daughter and her bf out today
On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died. The only thing that comes to those who wait is old age. Too many dreams.... Not enough time. Not Scared of dying. Not scared of living. Just scared of the pain that separates the two...
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:14 PM   #4
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died. The only thing that comes to those who wait is old age. Too many dreams.... Not enough time. Not Scared of dying. Not scared of living. Just scared of the pain that separates the two...
Old 05-13-2013, 09:17 PM   #5
V8
_

Oddometer: 9,077
Thats one fast looking DRZ sitting there.
V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:20 PM   #6
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Some weirdo owns that thing the guy insisted an leaving with us and making me buy him dinner Dude was so huge and intimidating I didn't want to argue with him
Old 05-13-2013, 09:24 PM   #7
V8
_

Oddometer: 9,077
Dam Dweller.
V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:27 PM   #8
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

lol
Old 05-13-2013, 09:40 PM   #9
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Old 05-14-2013, 03:51 AM   #10
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Oddometer: 1,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
Just took my daughter and her bf out today
FYI, the lower trail is mostly big bike friendly.

Kenny, you sound like me at the dead trail just past the bridge, (~2:50 mark) "where the F%&K is the trail." Try turning a Tiger around in there. I was so tired, the ruts by the entrance tree WORKED ME!

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:16 AM   #11
bmwpowere36m3 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundra61 View Post
What are the trails like there? Have never been
From my limited riding there, the trails running north (west of old RT8, the paved/gravel road) from the parking area start off easy, but then get into some wicked rocky single-track stuff. However there are a lot of trails that intersect and you can get quickly back onto the paved/gravel road.

The trails running south (east of old RT8) are much easier, mostly dirt/loam.

I guess you could also just run old RT8, which would be the easiest.
bmwpowere36m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:32 PM   #12
gpj530
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Looking to go this Sunday 5-14-13.
*Edit* Date typo..oops

gpj530 screwed with this post 07-12-2013 at 06:12 PM
gpj530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:56 PM   #13
Dirty in all
Adrenaline Junkie

Oddometer: 168
Bike and rider requirements

Im thinking about bringing my kids up there Thursday morning but I cant really find any information about bikes and riders requirements. I dont know if they dont want to legally come out and say it or what but they have me chasing my tail with DMV and the Police Dept. I called the dam a few times and left a message, I also sent an email but no replies yet. The kids have crf 50s and are ages 8 and 11, full gear. I want to borrow someones 70 actually for the 11 yr old but I read on the Thomaston site that all CT laws apply. Then I call DMV and theyre telling me under 50 ccs no reg but the rider must be M endorsed and above 50cc the bike must be registered. Confusion has set in fully. Ive been there a few times a couple years ago on my street legal bike, got the pipe checked for spark arrestor by an official and I felt like I was in the shriners parade with all the kids on dirt bikes whizzing past and around me. Cant really seem to get an answer on what the deal is. I dont want to hype the kids all up then go there and get turned away. We're shooting for best Dad ever not.. Dad is such a dick!, lol. Thanks in advance for any replies or help.

I just got an email response that has the links they show online for trail bike info, dmv and the trail map. I dont want to stir the pot so Im not going to pursue it any further but it's driving me nuts.

Dirty in all screwed with this post 05-14-2013 at 01:18 PM
Dirty in all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:42 PM   #14
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
http://www.nae.usace.army.mil/Missio...mastonDam.aspx

Recreation Facilities/Activities
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers welcomes you to Thomaston Dam located on the scenic Naugatuck River in Thomaston, Conn. The park offers over 800 acres of public land for a multitude of recreational activities. Hunting, fishing, trail bike riding (two wheel only) and model airplane flying are among the popular activities.

In 1975, the Corps' formally designated a trail area on the west side of the reservoir permitting use of trail bikes and snowmobiles only. Other three and four wheeled all terrain vehicles are prohibited from designated area and other off road areas of the reservoir. Trail-bike visitation usage is very high on weekends.

Bike Trails

Thomaston Dam has designated trails for two wheeled trailbikes, open May 1st through October 14th CONDITIONS PERMITTING. Three and four wheel vehicles are not permitted. A cooperative agreement for trail management has been in place since 1979 with the Pathfinders Motorcycle Club. State registration is required and safety equipment is encouraged. Two small lots are available for parking at the end of the Dam. Please be considerate of others while parking.

===========

It's a U.S. Army corps of Engineers flood control facility.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:58 PM   #15
Dirty in all
Adrenaline Junkie

Oddometer: 168
Gee , you're hysterical.
Dirty in all is offline   Reply With Quote