ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2013, 03:14 AM   #16
BeemerBT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Lunch Stop

http://www.tailofthepupbbq.com/directions.html

Don't know if they're open for the season yet, but worth checking out.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:09 PM   #17
TeneRay
2>4

Oddometer: 1,596
I plan to head up to Niagara for one day and spend at least a day or two in the Adirondacks. Anymore suggestive routes? I've been following my national scenic highway and byway book and it suggests to take 3 from Saranac Lake down to Speculator by way of 30, 28, and 30.
TeneRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:01 PM   #18
brumbear
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Tene there isn't a bad road out there they just groove!!!
brumbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:19 PM   #19
rinho OP
Rinho Féroce

Oddometer: 1,029
Yes, nice road everywhere...

Sorry Brumbear, we did not show up... we arrived late and wife felt too tired/shy.
We get the rain on Sunday and finally left the the place on Monday instead of spending another day on site
'92 KTM 400 LC4 (the first 400 LC4 produced, pre-serie unit)
rinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:56 AM   #20
brumbear
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey no worries we will be there next year same time always week before Memorial day!!!
We ran up along lake George Sat then up to CR7 wicked little road then ambled to a road 42 moriah road or something 12 miles of sweepers just dead sexy!!!! grabbed 9 to 73 and then 80 something? up whiteface. Then after I ran out of gas We headed back took a direct route back 73 to northway to exit 20 something the guys took route 8 back I was I think dehydrated not used to it yet and had a killer headache so I ran straight back to lake George. You just can't find a bad road some are just not F###### awesome as others
Old 05-22-2013, 02:20 PM   #21
ny-wolcott
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 910
My favorite is NY10, especially the northernmost 20 miles just south of NY8, west of Speculator.
ny-wolcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:09 PM   #22
Oilhed
MarkF

Oddometer: 3,511
Tail of the Pup between Saranac and Placid is worth a stop. Its a tradition. The Lake Placid Bewpub in Placid is good for dinner or drinks.

The motels on 73 almost to the airport on the city limits are most reasonably priced. The The Noonmark diner in Keene, NY and the diner near Chimney Point, VT are good too.

Forest Home Road in Saranac in a good ride. Tracy Road where NY9 crosses I-87 is the best!

new bike - BMW R1150GS
old bikes - Ducati ST3 (RIP), BMW R1100R, R75 & R65, Suzuki Bandit 600, Guzzi V65SP, Kawi KLR600, etc.
Oilhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:30 PM   #23
ssevy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 747
From a post I did in Triumphrat

Adirondack Routes

Okay, here's a tutorial for anyone putting together rides in the Adirondacks. I grew up in North Creek, and currently live in Queensbury, and my buddies and I have ridden every inch of blacktop roads (and many dirt ones too). First some suggestions about camping and fuel:
1- NYSDEC operates some very nice campgrounds throughout the Adirondack (and Catskill) Park. They are clean, inexpensive, and put you right in the middle of some excellent roads. Here's their link for a map:
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=http:...ps/gmcamps.kmz

2- There is a chain of convenience stores called Stewarts Shops throughout the Adirondacks. They have gas, quick foods, lots of drinks, and most importantly, clean bathrooms. (Tip: if you are near one of the NYSDEC campgrounds and need a bathroom, most will let you look for a campsite before you pay for it, so you can always drive in, use the restroom and then tell them you didn't find a site you liked on the way out. It may be slightly dishonest, but it is better than leaving a mess in the woods for someone's dog to roll in).

3- Logging is a common occupation here, so if you see any open sections in the woods nearby or other indicators of active logging going on, be on the lookout for slow moving logging trucks and clumps of mud in the road.

4- Whitetail are very common here, and may be seen anytime, but most especially around dusk and then during the night. We also have a small resident population of moose reestablishing themselves here, and their eyes don't relect light back like the whitetail, so use lots of caution if you must ride after dark. Honestly, the scenery is so good that it would be a shame to miss any of it by passing through after dark anyways.

5- The state police is the main police presence here, as the counties are pretty small and rural, and can't afford much of a county sheriff force. Some small towns may have a town force, and they pay their bills by writing traffic tickets. Route 30 from Long Lake to Tupper Lake has several hidden pull-offs for radar, and Route 28 from Blue Mountain Lake to Old Forge gets monitored pretty closely as well. Basically, any of these major routes have troopers patroling at various times, and if you see a trooper vehicle going in the opposite direction or sitting with a radar gun, it is a pretty safe bet that he or she is the only one around for miles.

6- Now for the routes. First of all, road conditions vary quite a bit, as some roads are state, some county, and some local. None of these have any money right now, so there are some rough patches here and there. Look at a map, and you'll notice there are 4 major east west routes, from north to south as follows:
  • Route 3 crosses the northern portion. Very desolate but nice scenery all the way from Harrisville to Tupper Lake. Continuing east, it gets busier until you reach Saranac Lake, and then back to the more desolate stretch which ends in Plattsburg. Turning south in Saranac onto 86, you enter the busiest and most affluent section of the park, and the prices and traffic increase accordingly. The ride through Lake Placid and down Route 73 through the cascade lakes to Keene and Keene Valley are beautiful, but expect lots of traffic if you go on a weekend. Tail of the Pup barbecue in Raybrook is where we stopped during the classic triples rally, and it is always good. If you have time, go northeast on 86 to Wilmington, and then take the Veteran's Highway to the top of Whiteface Mtn. The road sucks, but the view is spectacular. Then take 86 to Jay, and turn right onto 9N, then onto 73 in Keene. Very nice ride.
  • Route 28 from Alder Creek to Warrensburg is a very nice ride, with lots of variation in scenery as you go from the rolling sand hills and pines of Forestport to the western edge of the mountains at Blue Mtn, and then down through Indian Lake to North Creek and finally Warrensburg. Generally good roads, but again, lots of traffic on the weekends. Much of the road is pretty wide open though, so passing isn't a problem. Lots of great water here, and nice places to stop for a break. Check out the frozen custard in Inlet at the town park, and take a stroll down to the lake and walk the boardwalk. Beautiful. There is a restroom at 7th lake boat launch further east if you need it. By the way, there are several NYSDEC campgrounds on this route, and they are all nice. Most will have room weekdays, but fill up quickly on weekends.
  • Route 8 from Prospect to Hague on Lake George is a great ride. The section west of Piseco Lake is pretty desolate, and a good place to check your speedometer against your GPS to see if the ton is accurate on your speedo. Shoulders are cut nice and wide in many sections, so the whitetails are not such a worry. The Speculator Inn on Rt. 8 just west of the intersection with Rt. 30 has great food. It is about halfway along this route. Route 8 from the bridge over the Sacandaga river to Bakers Mills is pretty rough, especially a short section just east of Bakers Mills next to Ross Lake. You get a great view of Gore mountain across the lake here though. Some nice twisty stuff east of Wevertown to Chestertown, but a troopers barracks is in Chestertown, so be careful. Brant Lake to Hague is sweet, sweet, sweet, but beware of the declining radius turns near Graphite, and the traffic on Rt. 9N. If you go this far, the ride south to Lake George Village over Tongue Mountain is great, but lots of traffic is possible. Taking a left and heading north on 9N to Ticonderoga is nice, and there is a great soft ice cream place you'll see on the right just before the village.
  • Route 29 is the southern boundary, and has some very rough sections around Dolgeville. The other 3 choices above are much better.
  • North south you have 12 on the western side, which is flat and boring. Route 30 bisects the park, and is great anywhere along its length. 28N from Long Lake to Newcomb is rough, but gets better south of Newcomb. The Blue Ridge road from Newcomb to 87 is great, and then you can get on 9 and go south to Schroon Lake to Pitkins for a great meal. Route 10 is one of my favorite rides, with lots of twisties and nice scenery. Just be wary of the tar snakes, which are as plentiful on 10 as I have ever seen.
  • My favotite southern approach is Rt. 30 for quick and easy, or 10 for more scenic.
  • Some other random recommendations: RT. 30 through Saranac Inn is a fantastic road, but the two busiest NYSDEC campgrounds are on this road, so weekends are too busy to enjoy it. Mid-week it's worth a try. The eastern end of 186 has a great ice cream stand with a nice view. The Sacandaga Reservoir has a great twisty road all around the perimeter, but lots of boat traffic. Again, mid-week might be worthwhile. Nice diner at Edinburg at the four corners. Good pie. Lake George Village sucks. It is Ocean City or Virginia Beach on a smaller scale. The lake itself is gorgeous, but the traffic during the summer sucks every day. You might want to drive through just to say that you did, but it truly sucks.
Good luck, and feel free to pm me if you have any questions.
PS- I just noticed you said NE PA. I always stay at the Little Pond campground when going to PA, and it is a great spot! MIddleburg and Schoharie on Route 30 got hammered with Irene last summer, but the roads are okay.
ssevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:12 PM   #24
brumbear
Gnarly Adventurer

While your out there follow these I hear some old guys went and marked a trail with em
Old 05-23-2013, 06:59 AM   #25
EIF
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyo View Post
Stay off the State numbered highways and on the County roads helps avoid traffic

heres a link to a 160 mile loop starting and ending in Crown Point that I can recommend

http://goo.gl/maps/4TRIl

this loop will allow you to take in Whiteface
A number of my faves on this route.

Just as a FYI to anyone taking a stab at this route, about a month back Jay Mountain Rd. was closed due to a bad washout. I mean closed as in unless you are on a quad with a chainsaw you are not getting through. A group of us on KLRs had to turn back on the Elizabethtown side. They aren't in logging yet AFAIK.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:32 PM   #26
jfman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
This is a good one. Just gravel roads so not technical at all but the view is quite when you get to the end at the lakes.

North lake rd and honnedaga lake road

https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=Route+...-Unis&t=m&z=14

Found it by accident. The first 2 - 3 miles are some really bumpy paved twisties(perfect versys playground) from hw 28 where its called woodhull rd. Then it turns to gravel and machinery is doing to some work in there right now so its twisties thru the woods with zero traffic. I spent almost an hour there and I saw on truck and passed by a campfire party and that was it.

Agrandir le plan

2012 Versys 1000
Tour of the American West 2013

jfman screwed with this post 06-22-2013 at 01:41 PM
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:17 AM   #27
ssevy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 747
Update: route 28n from North Creek to Long Lake has had some resurfacing done fron Newcomb to Long Lake, so some great sections now.
ssevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:28 AM   #28
jfman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
thanks for the update.
Aint been there yet

2012 Versys 1000
Tour of the American West 2013
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:59 AM   #29
operose
Mama tried

Oddometer: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssevy View Post
Update: route 28n from North Creek to Long Lake has had some resurfacing done fron Newcomb to Long Lake, so some great sections now.
Yes it is much better now that they repaved, good riding. I was embarrassed to send people that route before, the road was so bad
operose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:27 PM   #30
Casper137
When in doubt Mumble

Oddometer: 74
This thread is going to help me make some great routes for 3 or 4 days of riding in the area next June.

This will be our 3rd year heading to the area for a trip and the roads are always new and awesome.

We'll be staying near Whiteface so we plan to get up the mountain again.

Plan to hit Tracy Rd, Blue Ridge Rd, Tawahus rd, Forest Home Rd, RTE 73, RTE 30, RTE 10 one day.

Then make a couple other routes as well for the other days.

Maybe down to Lake George one day and back up 9N.

Also may think about attempting a section of Jay Mountain Rd.

Thanks.

I be ridin an '09 DL650A with some ferrrrkles.
Casper137 is online now   Reply With Quote