Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger 04 rt View Post
So it looks like we'll be doing two or three betas:

-dirtysouthjacket
-jscottyk
-scienceofdirt

First beta for F800GS goes out this week.
First production unit for R1150GS goes out this week.

RB
Awesomeness! Looking forward to it.
jscottyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:42 AM   #32
roger 04 rt OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,940
It didn't make it this week but here's the beta: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...9#post21700609, which shipped today.

Things are progressing.
roger 04 rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:46 PM   #33
jscottyk
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
...which shipped today.

Things are progressing.
woot!
Old 06-24-2013, 06:00 PM   #34
jscottyk
Gnarly Adventurer

Lookie what arrived today!

Stay tuned for installation details later tonight.

jscottyk screwed with this post 06-24-2013 at 06:34 PM
Old 06-24-2013, 08:07 PM   #35
roger 04 rt OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscottyk View Post
Lookie what arrived today!

Right after you start the bike, the yellow led will flash for a count somewhere in the 6-8 times range. I believe I set it on 7 before shipping. If it is on 7, a little counterclockwise will get you 8 and a little clockwise will get you 6 flashes. Run at 7 to start with. That should be 5-6% richer than stock.

Have fun, ride safely.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:52 PM   #36
jscottyk
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

Installed. Pics coming later. All-in-all, very straight forward.

Quote:
Right after you start the bike, the yellow led will flash for a count somewhere in the 6-8 times range. I believe I set it on 7 before shipping. If it is on 7, a little counterclockwise will get you 8 and a little clockwise will get you 6 flashes. Run at 7 to start with. That should be 5-6% richer than stock.
I'll run it there for a few days.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:57 AM   #37
roger 04 rt OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Installed. Pics coming later. All-in-all, very straight forward.

I'll run it there [7 flashes] for a few days.
Glad to hear the install went well. On the R1200 wiring harness (I bought a whole harness on eBay to harvest four female connectors), the female half has a small 90 degree clamshell on the back. That will easily unclip if you study it. I will try and post a picture later.

The reset was a good idea for the first installation and the BMSK, based on my dozens of test data sets from Terry, takes a few hours of riding (at least an hour of varied riding) to "re-adapt".

When we get ready to try setting 6 and/or 8 it may not be necessary to reset the BMSK.

RB
Old 06-25-2013, 03:10 AM   #38
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,042
Quote:
Here's description from JoelWisman of the F800 secondary air system.
interesting .. Joel Wiseman has to be one of the sharpest tech's on Adv!
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:08 AM   #39
jscottyk
Gnarly Adventurer

The weather has been sunny and hot here the last few days. I've been able to ride a fair amount with the BMW-AF-XIED Beta in place. Unfortunately I have not been able to procure a GS-911 (they seemed to be backordered) and have not captured any realtime data. I have however put the BMW-AF-XIED Beta through it's paces with some low speed twisty stuff and some high speed highway stuff.

Each ride has been smoother than the one before as the BMS-K adapts. I can say for sure that the F800 motor likes running richer. Idle is ~1300 PRM; which I think is a bit higher. I'll confirm when I remove the beta unit. It takes the throttle MUCH smoother throughout the rev range. Feels more like a properly carbureted motorcycle. The most impressive is the low speed stuff. MUCH less jerky at constant throttle in 1st gear. The high speed stuff is impressive too. 4th to 5th and 5th to 6th is crisp. No stumble when I short shift around 4K-5K or run it on out and shift at 7K-8K. Basically, in plain words, it just takes the fuel better.

So far I have been running with setting 7 which should be resulting in 14.15 0.15 AFR (4%). I'll take another long ride Saturday with this setting and then switch to setting 8. S8 should result in 13.8 0.2 AFR (6%).

Here are few pics of the installation.

Remove the torx bolts connecting the voltage regulator and the side cover.

Once the two torx bolts are removed holding the voltage regulator, remove the zip tie and move the regulator to the right side.

This view is taken looking back in above the chain. The O2 sensor is circled and the wire that you will eventually be working with.

This view is looking back in from where the charcoal canister is located. I had previously removed this canister and had easy access. The BMW-AF-XIED Beta will be fitting between the two pieces of the connector indicated with the arrow.

This connector has a tab that holds it together. Carefully lift this tab with a small screwdriver (carefully! doesn't' need much) carefully pull apart.

The connector separated.

Currently the BMW-AF-XIED Beta has a right angle connector on one side. This will plug into the O2 wire connector that is fixed to the frame.

Here you can see both sides of the BMW-AF-XIED Beta connected to the O2 wire. Also notice I have routed the BMW-AF-XIED Beta wiring behind the brake lines. *Note this might not be the way I would route things with the production version. TBD.

Here you can see the 'electronics and LED' portion of the BMW-AF-XIED Beta that I have routed to come out in the area behind the side cover. I don't have more photos of that routing unfortunately as I did this without removing the airbox. I'll try to add those views at a later date.

There is also a ground wire coming off the 'electronics and LED' portion. This is routed between the airbox and right side upper tupperware to come out near the battery. This wire currently has a spade connector in the middle to make this easier.

Here you see things just before the right cover was reinstalled. A zip tie was used to secure the wiring harness and the 'electronics and LED' portion is just sort of tucked in.

jscottyk screwed with this post 06-29-2013 at 04:51 AM
Old 06-28-2013, 08:31 AM   #40
jscottyk
Gnarly Adventurer

GS-911blu is on the way! Data logging is coming up!
Old 06-30-2013, 02:09 PM   #41
Cippy
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Interesting. I trust it' s the same module I installed in my F800GS called RAPIDBIKE EASY. Yes, it works. Let me say that you are running in the right direction. Lambda is a bastard...it always try to modify fuel mixture in pollution favour...not in our favour...:) :) :).
With this module the lambda is tricked.
Just a suggestion: my RAPID as an interesting and simple (but intelligent) function: when the catalytic conv. is cold, the RAPID is bypasssed, so that the fuel ratio is stock; the catalitic conv. is not damaged by a too richer fuel mixture.
Then, when it is hot enough, the RAPID starts working, with no risk for the catalitic conv.
Simple: untill the lambda doesn't read a certain (electrical) value, the circuit is cutted-out.
When the correct value is reached (catalitic conv. in temperatura) the circuit start working.
Please, keep this in consideration.
Ciao.

Cippy
Cippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:34 AM   #42
roger 04 rt OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cippy View Post
Interesting. I trust it' s the same module I installed in my F800GS called RAPIDBIKE EASY. Yes, it works. Let me say that you are running in the right direction. Lambda is a bastard...it always try to modify fuel mixture in pollution favour...not in our favour...:) :) :).
With this module the lambda is tricked.
Just a suggestion: my RAPID as an interesting and simple (but intelligent) function: when the catalytic conv. is cold, the RAPID is bypasssed, so that the fuel ratio is stock; the catalitic conv. is not damaged by a too richer fuel mixture.
Then, when it is hot enough, the RAPID starts working, with no risk for the catalitic conv.
Simple: untill the lambda doesn't read a certain (electrical) value, the circuit is cutted-out.
When the correct value is reached (catalitic conv. in temperatura) the circuit start working.
Please, keep this in consideration.
Ciao.

Cippy
Hi Cippy, It's not the same module as the rapid bike easy. That product doesn't seem very available here and isn't so well documented. But from the information they show here (Rapid Bike Easy). It looks like a product that opens the Closed Loop path and richens the mixture without closed loop control. If you expand the graph, the AFR starts at a very rich 13:1 and gets to 12:1 at high rpm--In my view, far to rich for a non-racing bike.

The device that jscottyk is beta testing is the BMW-AF-XIED, a new device designed by me and nightrider.com that uses digital signal processing to shift the stock narrowband sensor to a new richer AFR (rather than 14.7:1). It operates similarly to a Wideband O2 sensor, allowing full, normal, controlled Closed Loop operation. Here is a block diagram of how it interacts with the Motronic but it is the same for BMSK. AFRs can be set between 13.8 and 14.7.

RB

Old 07-06-2013, 05:41 PM   #43
jscottyk
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm midway through the beta of the BMW-AF-XIED. A full story will be coming once it's complete. The short story is WOW! You guys are going to like this!

jscottyk screwed with this post 07-06-2013 at 05:53 PM
Old 07-08-2013, 01:10 PM   #44
roger 04 rt OP
Beastly Adventurer

About 10 of the first production run units got shipped to me, so that all could be checked against my LC-1 before shipment and as a final QA on the production process.

Some were shipped to beta testers who ordered them, some others went to support new F800 and R1200 beta tests.

That leaves me with two BMW-AF-XIEDs and two Universal Cables. The Universal cables do no come with OEM connectors, but the cost less. To use the universal cable you cut two wires in the O2 Sensor cable, and make four Posilock connections (Posilock not included). It is very straightforward and can always be reversed.

Since it will be a while before R1100, F800 and R1200 OEM connectors will be available for delivery, I can offer these two units with instructions for how to use the Universal Cable.

Anyone interested could PM me.

RB
Old 07-30-2013, 12:24 PM   #45
roger 04 rt OP
Beastly Adventurer

Here's an update, a very similar approach would work for the F800GS using the Universal Cable for anyone who wanted to get a jump on things.

I heard from Nightrider and Beemer Boneyard that another batch of Controllers and R1150 cables will be available soon. R1200 cables are now in the design/check pipeline and should be available soon.

R1100 connectors are a little further behind but a Universal Cable is offered. Below is a picture of how 3 of the 5 wires in the harness get connected to a stock O2 sensor in the absence of OEM Cables.

It's pretty easy really. Four inches from the O2 Sensor Connector, cut the black wire crimp splice to each end of the black and tap connect to one of the white wires. One cut, three connections.

The BMW-AF-XIED has a stock mode so you can return to stock without touching the cable.