Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2013, 08:09 PM   #1
Bama67 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
I want a Zuma 125, is this a good deal?

Hello everyone.

I am in the market for a Zuma 125, after much research, I think it is the model for me, or "us" actually.

I want to get my wife onto a bike, and she has a little bit of interest. I bought a TW200 for "me" but actually it was for her, so I could get her to try to ride with me on my KLX250. She admitted that the TW was fun and really easy to ride, but she claims that she cannot get used to clutching/shifting and is just generally intimidated by it.

Being that all we do is cruise back roads around here (about 50/50 paved and smooth dirt roads) I feel like the Zuma 125 would be great for her. She seems to be excited about the idea of riding and not having to worry about clutching and shifting.

So, the best deal I have been able to find is a new leftover 2011 Zuma 125 for $2865 OTD with tax included.
Does this seem like a good deal? I haven't really been able to locate a used one for much less than that; most are all sun-faded or scratched up with 10k miles for $2,500

Is there any other automatics out there that I perhaps haven't thought of that would pull half road/half dirt road duty? I had a fleeting idea of putting a auto clutch (like a rekluse type) on the TW, but it didn't seem like dropping $600-800 bucks on a clutch for a cheap ass bike might not be a good idea, especially not knowing if she would even care for it or not.

I am just trying to do whatever I can do to get her out on two wheels with me.
And I have to admit, a Zuma 125 looks fun as hell, so I might have to borrow it.

What do you guys think? Thanks!
Old 05-14-2013, 09:06 PM   #2
Bleemus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 992
Get the Zuma. My girlfriend was apprehensive until she rode my scooter for awhile then begged for a 250cc bike. It works. Gas and brakes is all you need. When I retire I want cruise the country on a Burgman. :)
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:25 PM   #3
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,667
yep good deal. Only thing is you might now like the seat much from my reading . Seem all to often you end up sitting on the hump that is caused by the way the seat is made to fit a helmet under it. From my reading most people ether buy an after market seat for 300 bucks or mod the seat pan by drilling out the area around the plastic hump with lots of holes so it well flex downwards if you end up seated on it. Other mods are the head light so you get both of them working at the same time but in stop and go tragic from my reading it can drain the battery. It fine if you going donw the road .
Old 05-14-2013, 09:34 PM   #4
Bama67 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
Get the Zuma. My girlfriend was apprehensive until she rode my scooter for awhile then begged for a 250cc bike. It works. Gas and brakes is all you need. When I retire I want cruise the country on a Burgman. :)

Aww yeah, this is what I wanted to hear.

And thanks for the suggestion on the seat, I haven't heard the issues of it, but now looking at the pics I think I can see where it would feel strange. Good to know that there are cheap fixes for it.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:39 PM   #5
CaptnJim
Scootist

Oddometer: 1,036
I'm surprised you haven't heard from Jerry H yet - he has a bunch of miles on a Zuma. After riding motorcycles for a lot of years, I have come to the conclusion that not shifting is fine by me. For ease and just plain fun, a scooter is hard to beat. I think the Zuma would do you well for your intended use, and the price seems fair.

The only problem I can see is: after watching your wife have all the fun, you're going to want one, too.

We bought a set of his & hers Honda PCX 150s, which are definitely more oriented to the street. The Zuma seems (to me) to be more suited to some easy dirt.

Good luck with the decisions.

Captain Jim
Old 05-14-2013, 10:38 PM   #6
Bama67 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJim View Post
I'm surprised you haven't heard from Jerry H yet - he has a bunch of miles on a Zuma. After riding motorcycles for a lot of years, I have come to the conclusion that not shifting is fine by me. For ease and just plain fun, a scooter is hard to beat. I think the Zuma would do you well for your intended use, and the price seems fair.

The only problem I can see is: after watching your wife have all the fun, you're going to want one, too.

We bought a set of his & hers Honda PCX 150s, which are definitely more oriented to the street. The Zuma seems (to me) to be more suited to some easy dirt.

Good luck with the decisions.

Captain Jim
I am not worried, I can borrow it anytime. ;)

I have seen Jerrys posts on his Zuma, he does indeed seem to put some big mileage on the little scoot.

My only experience on a scooter was last year I had a week in Vung Tau Vietnam, so I rented a little 125 scooter for I think about 10 bucks for 2 days. I had a blast riding that thing up and down the beach roads and up all the local mountains. Throttle pinned to the stop the entire time.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:13 AM   #7
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 5,004
The Zuma 125 is a GREAT scooter. I have owned a 2012 model for about a year. I got mine new for under $3100 OTD. I'm 225 pounds, and it will do 55-60 on flat level roads with no wind. It has a load capacity of around 350 pounds, and can be run at full throttle all day. Valves are easy to get to and easy to adjust, in fact all maintenance is super easy to do.

I have only one reservation, and it has nothing to do with the Zuma. Many new riders are intimidated by the shifting/clutching thing to begin with, but almost anyone can not only learn it but get good at it fairly quickly if they try. There are a lot of pirate types out there on Harleys with room temperature IQs, and they got it. If she is dead set against it, then it's probably a no go, but if not I wouldn't give up easily. Once she has learned, she will no longer be stuck with a scooter, and can do some real off road riding.

I love scooters, including my Zuma, but I have an XT225 for off road.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:09 AM   #8
johnyrrr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
I sold my 2009 Zuma with a Leo pipe and a Big bore and bunch of other crap. couldnt get rid of the thing for $2000 and it only had 1500 miles. It just wouldnt keep up with the 55 mph traffic where I live with small hills and I got sick of it. I loved the big foot board area which can carry 3 cases of beer and 2 bags of ice easily the suspension sucked for our roads here in Michigan and it ashuradly it isnt going to be any type of off-roader
johnyrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:36 AM   #9
JerryH
Vintage Rider

The Zuma will definitely handle miles. I put over 25,000 miles on its cousin, the Vino 125, 95%+ of it at full. The Vino, with its narrow tires is definitely not an off road bike.

The Zuma is a bit faster, accelerates a little better, has bigger tires, but is still seriously lacking in the suspension department for rough surfaces. I dodge potholes and manhole covers with it. I took it on one 700 mike round trip, on the pavement, at full throttle, and it did fine. I have never ridden it on a dirt road, scooters with CVT transmissions have a vent to let cooling air into the CVT case, there is a filter, but I don't think it would be all that effective on dirt. Here is a video of a Zuma 125 being ridden on a fairly smooth dirt road.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iphE5gmhTo

Here's something a little less believable. I doubt there was much left of that scooter after making this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QKRo8f9EtI
1980 Puch moped
Old 05-15-2013, 07:42 AM   #10
wannabe1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
Bama, be patient my friend. I am sure you are like me and have to "have it now" and if you have the money then sure go for it. I have bought 2 09 zumas in the last 12 months for less than $1800 each. I also sold my first at a price too low to mention. The zuma 125 is a great scoot which is why I sold my first one and had sellers remorse and bought the second one. If you wanted to make the drive up to Decatur, I would almost sell you mine for $2K, but I don't feel like chasing a 3rd zuma down

Don't discount a Genuine Buddy 125, 150, 170 either. Since you are so close to the coast be sure to check the Panama City, Destin, etc craigslist for scoots. Sometimes those beach towns are a hotbed for scoots. Just make sure you don't buy an ex rental chinese scoot.
wannabe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:41 AM   #11
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,724
Seems high to me. Look used and keep looking.

You should be able to get a pristine one for 2k or under.

Check out my link below for my experiences with a Zuma 125.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:39 PM   #12
bogey78
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
Check your PM Bama.
IBA#33560
bogey78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:28 PM   #13
Bama67 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe1 View Post
Bama, be patient my friend. I am sure you are like me and have to "have it now" and if you have the money then sure go for it. I have bought 2 09 zumas in the last 12 months for less than $1800 each. I also sold my first at a price too low to mention. The zuma 125 is a great scoot which is why I sold my first one and had sellers remorse and bought the second one. If you wanted to make the drive up to Decatur, I would almost sell you mine for $2K, but I don't feel like chasing a 3rd zuma down

Don't discount a Genuine Buddy 125, 150, 170 either. Since you are so close to the coast be sure to check the Panama City, Destin, etc craigslist for scoots. Sometimes those beach towns are a hotbed for scoots. Just make sure you don't buy an ex rental chinese scoot.
Yeah, I do get the "have it right now" itch now and again. lol

I just haven't had much luck finding used ones for that good of a deal.
I thought the new one I found for $2800 OTD was pretty good because most of the guys on the Zuma forums report paying well over 3k, sometime near 4k OTD for these things.

I just don't really know what to do, the choices for automatic bikes doesn't exactly runneth over. I can't justify a Honda with a DCT because she simply won't be riding that much. Between having two younger kids, we don't get huge amounts of riding time together, so I don't want to invest too heavily, and that is why whatever we get will see most of its miles with me on its back.
And another use of it would be me useing it when I go to schools on the road. Often times i have to go to training for a week in Houston, New Orleans, etc, so it would be good for buzzing about the back streets.

Wish that cool little Honda Grom coming out had an Auto, I would be all over that shit.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:57 PM   #14
JerryH
Vintage Rider

The going rate here for a current year Zuma 125 is almost $4500 OTD. MSRP is $3390, and freight, setup, doc fee, title, registration, and sales tax (10%) easily add up to $1000 more.
1980 Puch moped
Old 05-15-2013, 07:51 PM   #15
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
Did the Burgman number...two times. Saulte Ste Marie, Michigan, to Banff in Canada on a 400; and three years later, from Eau Claire Wisconsin to the Four Corners region of Colorado on a 650.

You feel better with your luggage, more substantial, less overloaded, on the lardie. But the 400 is easier on gas; and if you're putting on 3000 miles, you notice it.

Between the Burgmans...and before, also...I had everything from a Yamaha SR500 to a BMW R1200GS. The gearbox and clutch...give infinite control. Which, on a vacation ride, is tiresome.

I'm older; I'm bored with shifting. I've done it and I have nothing to prove. Twist, go, put on the mp3 player, and enjoy the ride, the sights, the scents. The stops; the good hotels; the good dining holes-in-walls. The local bars...I'll pass on the barfights.

But the Burgman, is the way to go.

1999 BMW R1100RT - backsliding on the Scooter Life.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote