ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-22-2013, 01:52 PM   #31
bogey78
Studly Adventurer
 
bogey78's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: North Alabama
Oddometer: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
I recently put an AL tag on my Super 8 150 (149.6cc). They gave me a tag & Registration for it but no title and no AD Velorum Tax. My Tag was less than $12.
Sweet!
__________________
Bogey78
IBA#33560
bogey78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:58 AM   #32
Bama67 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Enterprise, AL
Oddometer: 357
This is great news.
__________________
2012 Moto Guzzi Griso 8V SE Tenni
2009 Kawasaki KLX250SF
Bama67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:10 AM   #33
longhaul747
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Bothell, WA
Oddometer: 543
I want a Zuma 125 as well!

I finely got my ducks in a row and by next week I am thinking of adding this bike to the stable.

I have been thinking used but nothing has showed up locally lately. I can either be patient and wait or just bite the bullet and go new. None of the local Yamaha dealers have any holdovers. One local dealer had a 2012 marked at $2,499 plus fees but they sold it a few weeks ago. The other local Yamaha dealer has 2 2013's in stock (black and blue) but they are a bit of a stickler during past dealings.

What would be a realistic best price on a brand new 2013? I am going to try and get the fees waived but lately dealers push for them like they are mandatory. Also working against me is current gas prices will have the sales manager thinking a scooter boom is about to take place so he may not deal to much at the moment.

I would like to shoot for a low of $3,700 but willing to settle for $4,000 max if the dealer insist on getting some fees. I have a feeling the dealers offer will be around the $4,200 mark if not higher. Hopefully we will settle in the middle between $3,700 and $4,000. I know one of the salesman there and he claims he can give me a super deal on one but I know I need to take that with a grain of salt. Its the sales managers who approve the deals.

Its more of a want item then a need item. I just want a scooter for the upcoming Zombie Apocalypse so if I don't get a deal I want then forget it. I can continue to wait for a used one to pop up.
longhaul747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:23 PM   #34
bogey78
Studly Adventurer
 
bogey78's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: North Alabama
Oddometer: 575
I know buying new gives some peace of mind and a warranty, but used scooters are too cheap to buy new. So many people buy 50-250cc scoots and just don't ride them. I'll bet most used Zuma 125s are sold by the original owner with no more than 2K miles on them. I just saw a new 2012 Zuma 125 advertised on ebay for $2900 and no fees. It was somewhere in OH, but if they can sell it for around $3K then the other dealers should be able to also.

I think the second best way to buy a used bike/scooter is to have quick access to the cash and scour craigslist often. When one pops up within a 2 hour drive or so, jump on it quick and make a tentative deal over the phone. The best way to buy a bike/scooter is to find it here in the flea market either thru the bikes for sale section or just post a WTB ad for what your looking for. My next bike will most likely be bought from an inmate (hopefully far enough away that I can do a fly and ride). Everyone I've dealt with from this site have been pretty cool and nothing but smooth transactions all around.

BTW, if you are dealing with a dealer on a bike, just figure out what OTD price you are willing to pay and tell them what you have in mind. They'll either sell it to you or not. If they don't budge, walk and continue to look for the bike you want at the price you want.
__________________
Bogey78
IBA#33560
bogey78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:27 PM   #35
longhaul747
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Bothell, WA
Oddometer: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogey78 View Post
I know buying new gives some peace of mind and a warranty, but used scooters are too cheap to buy new. So many people buy 50-250cc scoots and just don't ride them. I'll bet most used Zuma 125s are sold by the original owner with no more than 2K miles on them. I just saw a new 2012 Zuma 125 advertised on ebay for $2900 and no fees. It was somewhere in OH, but if they can sell it for around $3K then the other dealers should be able to also.

I think the second best way to buy a used bike/scooter is to have quick access to the cash and scour craigslist often. When one pops up within a 2 hour drive or so, jump on it quick and make a tentative deal over the phone. The best way to buy a bike/scooter is to find it here in the flea market either thru the bikes for sale section or just post a WTB ad for what your looking for. My next bike will most likely be bought from an inmate (hopefully far enough away that I can do a fly and ride). Everyone I've dealt with from this site have been pretty cool and nothing but smooth transactions all around.

BTW, if you are dealing with a dealer on a bike, just figure out what OTD price you are willing to pay and tell them what you have in mind. They'll either sell it to you or not. If they don't budge, walk and continue to look for the bike you want at the price you want.

Yeah I agree if you can find a good clean used bike this is the way to go. Especially around here when people buy them then they never ride them because of the weather. It seems Zuma 125's are fairly common finds on Craigslist but it has been a bit dry lately. A dealer about 60 miles south has a used 09 with 700 miles for $2,799 but this is not really a good price in my opinion. They sell it making the point that you don't pay fees on used bikes but to be honest I usually don't pay fees on new bikes.

Doing some research it looks like a lot of buyers manage to score brand new Zuma 125's for $2,800 to $3,400 OTD. However this is usually on holdovers or a few years ago when prices were less. It looks like Yamaha has had some aggressive price increases especially on the 2013's with an MSRP of $3,390.

A few things working against me is the dealers around here are not high volume so every sale is important. About the best I have ever done on a new current model year bike is MSRP minus fees plus T&L. With a tax rate of 9.5% its impossible to get an OTD price low like some people can. Plus its peak season however it appears Zuma's don't fly off dealer lots so maybe perhaps maybe a deal can be made.

I think I will offer $3,700 but settle for $3,800 witch I think is more then reasonable offer. If they want more I will search used. I don't think its really a matter of if but when one will show up. With the Zuma still in production its not like its getting rare like a Reflex is now days. If I go a few months without finding one that is suitable used then I will try again later when they are willing to deal more.

Like I say I really don't need it. Purely a wan't item however I am sure if I had one it would get a lot of use.

Another option is to buy one on ebay. Its not really my style but a lot of people do it now with little trouble and often get better deals then they can locally. I never done but I guess you buy it then you contract with a freight company and they come to crate it and ship it for you. Cost wise though i am not sure how far you will come out ahead? $500 or $600 to have it crated and shipped. Then you have to pay T&L when it gets here. I think if anything you may just break even. However if the deal is good enough then it may be worth while.

Advertising it here is certainly an option I did not think about as well. However because of the nature of a scooter I would not want to travel really far to fetch it. Motorcycle is fine but not a highway capable scooter. I am always up for an adventure and depending on where it is you can take some nice roads without highway speed limits but some routes are impossible. Easier if its local and on a route I can take slower roads on.
longhaul747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:46 AM   #36
bogey78
Studly Adventurer
 
bogey78's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: North Alabama
Oddometer: 575
That sounds like a good plan. Good hunting for that elusive Zuma!
__________________
Bogey78
IBA#33560
bogey78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:54 PM   #37
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded
 
Dranrab Luap's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Oddometer: 29,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhaul747 View Post
Yeah I agree if you can find a good clean used bike this is the way to go. Especially around here when people buy them then they never ride them because of the weather. It seems Zuma 125's are fairly common finds on Craigslist but it has been a bit dry lately. A dealer about 60 miles south has a used 09 with 700 miles for $2,799 but this is not really a good price in my opinion. They sell it making the point that you don't pay fees on used bikes but to be honest I usually don't pay fees on new bikes.

Doing some research it looks like a lot of buyers manage to score brand new Zuma 125's for $2,800 to $3,400 OTD. However this is usually on holdovers or a few years ago when prices were less. It looks like Yamaha has had some aggressive price increases especially on the 2013's with an MSRP of $3,390.

A few things working against me is the dealers around here are not high volume so every sale is important. About the best I have ever done on a new current model year bike is MSRP minus fees plus T&L. With a tax rate of 9.5% its impossible to get an OTD price low like some people can. Plus its peak season however it appears Zuma's don't fly off dealer lots so maybe perhaps maybe a deal can be made.

I think I will offer $3,700 but settle for $3,800 witch I think is more then reasonable offer. If they want more I will search used. I don't think its really a matter of if but when one will show up. With the Zuma still in production its not like its getting rare like a Reflex is now days. If I go a few months without finding one that is suitable used then I will try again later when they are willing to deal more.

Like I say I really don't need it. Purely a wan't item however I am sure if I had one it would get a lot of use.

Another option is to buy one on ebay. Its not really my style but a lot of people do it now with little trouble and often get better deals then they can locally. I never done but I guess you buy it then you contract with a freight company and they come to crate it and ship it for you. Cost wise though i am not sure how far you will come out ahead? $500 or $600 to have it crated and shipped. Then you have to pay T&L when it gets here. I think if anything you may just break even. However if the deal is good enough then it may be worth while.

Advertising it here is certainly an option I did not think about as well. However because of the nature of a scooter I would not want to travel really far to fetch it. Motorcycle is fine but not a highway capable scooter. I am always up for an adventure and depending on where it is you can take some nice roads without highway speed limits but some routes are impossible. Easier if its local and on a route I can take slower roads on.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/mcd/3813657243.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/mcd/3779043441.html

http://www.cycletrader.com/New-Or-Us...ults&zip=98116
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:23 PM   #38
N-m
Captain 2 Sexy
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Too Far from My Welder and BMW in South TN.
Oddometer: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogey78 View Post
Bama67, I was on the web last night and saw that our great state of Alabama no longer titles scooters less than 150cc. I researched a little further and noticed that no registration is required, if of course, I'm reading the statutes correctly. Please let me know what they tell you at the courthouse. I think the law just changed in Jan of 2012 or 2013.

It would be awesome not to have to mess with tagging or title issues.
I would have to get one if that became the case. In TN I think the cut off is 50 cc which is pretty worthless for my riding.
N-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:58 PM   #39
longhaul747
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Bothell, WA
Oddometer: 543
The one over in Bremerton is the best choice as I would be solo picking it up. I would take the transit bus to downtown Seattle then take the Seattle Bremerton ferry. The dealership is not that far away from the ferry terminal. The dealer may send someone to get me at the ferry dock or I can just take a taxi. Maybe even walk it if I have the time. Buy it and ride it back on the ferry to downtown Seattle and its easy back home from there.

I actually have this one on my radar if the deal at a local dealer does not work out. I am willing to pay more for the convenience of buying locally but I will not go insanely more. Sort of looking forward to the adventure if needed.

I hope to go in and talk tomorrow if I don't get bogged down with Holiday weekend stuff. If not always early next week.
longhaul747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:34 PM   #40
telejojo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
telejojo's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Huntsville Ala. foothills of the Smokey's
Oddometer: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhaul747 View Post
I want a Zuma 125 as well!

I finely got my ducks in a row and by next week I am thinking of adding this bike to the stable.

I have been thinking used but nothing has showed up locally lately. I can either be patient and wait or just bite the bullet and go new. None of the local Yamaha dealers have any holdovers. One local dealer had a 2012 marked at $2,499 plus fees but they sold it a few weeks ago. The other local Yamaha dealer has 2 2013's in stock (black and blue) but they are a bit of a stickler during past dealings.

What would be a realistic best price on a brand new 2013? I am going to try and get the fees waived but lately dealers push for them like they are mandatory. Also working against me is current gas prices will have the sales manager thinking a scooter boom is about to take place so he may not deal to much at the moment.

I would like to shoot for a low of $3,700 but willing to settle for $4,000 max if the dealer insist on getting some fees. I have a feeling the dealers offer will be around the $4,200 mark if not higher. Hopefully we will settle in the middle between $3,700 and $4,000. I know one of the salesman there and he claims he can give me a super deal on one but I know I need to take that with a grain of salt. Its the sales managers who approve the deals.

Its more of a want item then a need item. I just want a scooter for the upcoming Zombie Apocalypse so if I don't get a deal I want then forget it. I can continue to wait for a used one to pop up.
I've seen them on ebay for 2700.00 2012 new.
__________________
08Concours,09KLR, 80CBX 79KZ1300 , 2013 Zuma 50 2012 04 V-Strom,1974 KZ900 04 ZRX
telejojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:40 PM   #41
telejojo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
telejojo's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Huntsville Ala. foothills of the Smokey's
Oddometer: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogey78 View Post
Sweet!
I thought anything street legal had to have a title.I bought a Zuma 50 and got a title app.
__________________
08Concours,09KLR, 80CBX 79KZ1300 , 2013 Zuma 50 2012 04 V-Strom,1974 KZ900 04 ZRX
telejojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:50 PM   #42
JerryH
Vintage Rider
 
JerryH's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Chandler, AZ
Oddometer: 4,803
Here everything street legal must have a title, with the exception of pedal mopeds, which have a registration only. 50cc scooters are considered motorcycles, and require a motorcycle endorsement and insurance.

If you are lucky you might find a deal on a new Zuma 125. I got mine for Just a hair over $3000 OTD. But it was a one year old leftover model. New ones are close to $4500 OTD. Wait for the 2014 models to start coming in. you can save a lot on a 2013.

As for buying used, sometimes that is a good idea, and sometimes not. You never know how the previous owner treated it. There is also the desirability issue. Nothing beats the feeling of buying a brand new bike. If you plan to keep it a long time, it is probably worth it. If you already know you will only have it for a short time, then used makes a lot more sense. Same thing if it is going to sit outside, and if you are going to use it for commuting, and will have to leave it in a parking lot. I have never used a new bike for that kind of thing. My 25,000 mile '08 Vino 125 still looks new, except for a few bugs. It is sitting in the living room right now, where it has always been kept except for when it was actually on the road.
__________________
I won't spend more on a bike than I think it's worth, but if it's a good deal, I don't seem to have a problem buying bikes I don't need.
2002 Vulcan 750, 2013 Royal Enfield B5
2001 XT225, 2009 Genuine Stella
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:00 PM   #43
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer
 
klaviator's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Huntsville, AL
Oddometer: 5,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by telejojo View Post
I thought anything street legal had to have a title.I bought a Zuma 50 and got a title app.
That's what I thought too but when I went to change registration from GA to AL last month they said unless it's over 150cc they won't issue a title. It must have been a recent change. So now I have an AL tag and registration but still have my GA title
__________________
I ride, Therefore I Am.



klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #44
N-m
Captain 2 Sexy
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Too Far from My Welder and BMW in South TN.
Oddometer: 442
Is this a good deal or could you find a better price from an individual? I was looking at. This one yesterday and it looked to be in good shape.

2009 125 for $2300.

http://http://www.bloodmotor.com/new...74&pov=3207328
N-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:23 PM   #45
longhaul747
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Bothell, WA
Oddometer: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by telejojo View Post
I've seen them on ebay for 2700.00 2012 new.
Yeah I have seen that as well and its definitely a bargaining point. Now the local dealers will know the hassle of buying one on ebay and will likely not match and I really don't expect them to match but I don't think its out of line thinking the pre tax and license price should be within a few hundred.

Unfortunately I flat out got owned yesterday and never got a chance to run by the dealer to work a deal. So I will have to try it on Tuesday or Wednesday now.

I am also considering buying the used one down in Enumclaw. Its only 50 miles return and can be done on 45 MPH roads. It will take 3 hours but it is possible to take a transit bus down there. The price is a little high at $2,799 for used 09 but often the bargaining power on used stuff is better then new. If they can get the OTD price at $2,800 we may have a deal.

Another thing to consider is a person who works in my business park rides a Kymco Agility 125. I talked to him about his scoot and he rides it religiously with 7K on the clock. It looks a bit weathered because of our rain and I see some rust on it already from our constant rain but he says it never has missed a beat. It goes 55 MPH (sometimes 60) and gets 80 MPG he says. To me it looks to be much the same concept as the Zuma 125. It does look a bit down on fit and finish compared to the Zuma but overall they are solidly just as bullet proof. Also if you ride a Zuma in this environment it would probably look just as furry as the Kymco.

The cool thing about the Kymco Agility 125 is a dealer is advertising them for $1,999 OTD for some new old stock they have. I have no idea if this is even a great price but already its likely almost half of what you would pay OTD on a Zuma 125 in my market.

Food for thought I guess!

I still prefer the Zuma 125 as overall fit and finish looks better and the Agility 125's styling just does not tickle my fancy as much. However if I can't strike a deal I may go look at it and maybe it will grow on me?

Whatever is cheapest and be reliable will work for me. This is intending to be my winter hack scooter and no matter what I buy will look furry in a hurry I am sure. It will be easier to take beating on a $2.000 Kymco then a $4,000 Zuma 125.

Hopefully they deal on the Zuma and I can get it for a fair price. Resale wise I think the Zuma 125 would be way better.
longhaul747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014