ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2013, 11:44 PM   #1
BIGCOD OP
the desert ninja

Oddometer: 165
KTM 990 ADV Fuel cap problem

Hi Guys,

Has anyone had a problem with one of their fuel cap locks not working properly??

My right hand side lock wont open and I have tried most things including taking it to a lock smith! Just wondering if anyone has had this before and what would be the best way to open the tank and replace the lock?

Cheers, BIGCOD
BIGCOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:58 PM   #2
Iwantabikesobad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,064
In the future

Not sure how to get it open with a broken lock. When the filler lid is open, at the seven o clock position there is a allen head screw. Remove this screw.
Then if the lock ever fails again you can simply unscrew the retaining screws on top of the filler lip and remove the entire cap/lid assembly. Handy in the middle of nowhere.
I have seen a few people install complete aftermarket filler caps that screw in and do away with the locking mech, all together. Have seen them on e-bay.
Let us know how you get the lock open
09 KTM Adv. The Orange ones are faster!
Iwantabikesobad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:56 AM   #3
BIGCOD OP
the desert ninja

Yeah I thought of that but decided nah "i'll never need that!" lol. Now I wish I had undone that screw because when you need it its too late to unscrew it if you cant undo cap!!
I can order a new cap from KTM in Austria($350) that will take 2 months too arrive!! I will give the lock smith one more try, he thinks a new key might open it??
Old 05-20-2013, 01:25 PM   #4
BykBoy
Meshuganeh

Oddometer: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGCOD View Post
Hi Guys,

Has anyone had a problem with one of their fuel cap locks not working properly??

I have a problem with the key cover not flipping open. Had to file down a small notch on on the side and use a very thin pin to push the ball push pin into place every time I wanted to flip the cover open.

No problem with the key and lock though.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:52 PM   #5
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,815
I had my lock getting jammed.

I dropped a few drops of engine oil at the key, as it was inserted in the lock. As oil leaked in, I wiggled the key and it unjammed. Just needs some gentle touch.
For the key cover, I jiggled it until it opened. Put some grease at the little securing ball and works great. It lasts for a couple of years.
Simple solutions to simple problems.
Cheers.
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:16 AM   #6
MOTOSOTO
Light Fuse and Get Away!

Oddometer: 470
...I, too, am suffering from the "right hand side key lock" problem...followed the 'drop some engine oil and wiggle it' and after a few nights after work 'wiggling' in garage...the key finally dropped 98% in. It won't turn since it's not completely 'in'...going to try my 'handy work' and then give the locksmith a call...ridiculous failure...and a constant reminder that the only adventures this bike's given me has been with mechanics' bills...and now a locksmith bill...Keeps Taking Money...

Steven David Soto

末末末末末末末末末末末末

MOTOSOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:14 AM   #7
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,815
Sounds to me like an abandonned bike.

You do not fill up once a month? From now on you can oil the locks once a year. To help it unjam, you could also spray something thinner as WD40.
For longer storage periods you can stuff the keyholes with grease.
Cheers.
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:37 PM   #8
MOTOSOTO
Light Fuse and Get Away!

Oddometer: 470
...my bike gets used regularly-when it's not with the mechanic...and the fuel cap/keylocks get used quite a bit on those rides...problem solved in exchange of $85.00 and an hour with the locksmith...he said that the 'elements' were worn and one of them kept the key from sinking in 100%...all better now...considering taking out the bolts that secure that lid to -what looks like- the tank...in the event that keylock issue surfaces again/on the other tankside...

Steven David Soto

末末末末末末末末末末末末

MOTOSOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:08 AM   #9
BIGCOD OP
the desert ninja

Update

Just a quick update on the lock dilemmas! I tried hundreds of times to open it myself using inox (better than wd40) in the lock and pushing it, pulling it, holding cap down etc etc. The locksmith tried too and he cut new key which didn't make any difference except to my wallet lol.

I got my mechanic to drill the lock which he did perfectly and now I just use a screwdriver to open the cap lol With all the dust and wear and tear from off roading he things some pins in the lock have failed. Im not going to get a factory one just yet ($350 and 2 month wait) as the screw driver works fine!
I am looking to buy a 2nd hand cap if anyone has one available???

Anyway moral of the story is.........UNDO THE LITTLE GRUB SCREW INSIDE THE FILLER CAP BEFORE THIS HAPPENS TO YOU.