User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2013, 08:23 AM   #1
Voz OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
GSW front end wobble at speed?

So, I took my GSW onto the freeway tonite for the first time and cruised along at 90-140Km/h.

At around a 100 km/h I felt a very slight wobble in the handlebars. They were pulsing left to right in very small amounts at a low frequency. It was not an issue to control it as it was ever so slight but it was there.

Is this a boxer phenomenom?

My bike only has about 150 klm so far, maybe I need to wear the tyres in more or is there some other issue here?

I don't have much experience with other motorbikes as I have only ridden one other, my Kawasaki Versys 650 over the past year. I never felt this wobble on my Versys.
Voz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:32 AM   #2
Snarky
Vodka Infused.

Oddometer: 1,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voz View Post
So, I took my GSW onto the freeway tonite for the first time and cruised along at 90-140Km/h.

At around a 100 km/h I felt a very slight wobble in the handlebars. They were pulsing left to right in very small amounts at a low frequency. It was not an issue to control it as it was ever so slight but it was there.

My bike only has about 150 klm so far, maybe I need to wear the tyres in more or is there some other issue here?

I don't have much experience with other motorbikes as I have only ridden one other, my Kawasaki Versys 650 over the past year. I never felt this wobble on my Versys.
Like a vibration or...

A 'wobble' sounds like a tire balancing issue or perhaps an issue with wheel trueness.

The way the boxer pistons move shouldn't be causing the issue, they move in and out at the same time. The only funny thing that GS bikes are known for physically, is a little bit of torque lean when you rev them while stopped. Of course they also have engine vibration and the engines make all kinds of strange noises you learn to ignore, much like and not as bad as the buzzy Versys.

A wobble certainly sounds like something isn't quite right with the tires or wheels imo. If you had something like TKC80s I would probably say ride them a little bit more, but stock tires certainly shouldn't wobble broken in or not.
Pledge today! Service guarantees citizenship. @ http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com Thanks.
Snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:34 AM   #3
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
Quote:

Mine also has this, but not always and only at some speeds. I have the metzler tyres. I never noticed this while riding normally, I only notice this when I take my hands of the handlebars and then I can see some ossilation. it however remains stable. Starts at around 70 kph. at around 120 kph I haven't noticed it yet, but then again, I don't often drive around handsfree at 120.
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:55 AM   #4
Voz OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB1 View Post
Mine also has this, but not always and only at some speeds. I have the metzler tyres. I never noticed this while riding normally, I only notice this when I take my hands of the handlebars and then I can see some ossilation. it however remains stable. Starts at around 70 kph. at around 120 kph I haven't noticed it yet, but then again, I don't often drive around handsfree at 120.
I think your description matches mine. I have only noticed this for the first time today when I took it on the freeway for the first time since picking up yesterday.

Your description as an oscillation is pretty much spot on. I feel it vibing or slight pulsing Left-Right-Left-Right, etc in my hands, very low amplitude and probably about 500 Hz.

I have Tourance Next tyres on spoke wheels.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:03 AM   #5
Mr. Magoo
n/a

Oddometer: 4,946
Flappy jacket?
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:14 AM   #6
Voz OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post
Flappy jacket?
Nope, it is a feeling thru the handlebars.

My first thought when I felt it was that it was a very slight high frequency wobble in the front end.

Do previous R1200 models have a similar vibration or oscillation feeling?

2013 R1200 GSW Red - Blown Engine & Gearbox (clutch basket nut issue) - AUG 14
2015 R1200 GSW White - NOV 14
Old 05-15-2013, 09:17 AM   #7
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Nope, it is a feeling thru the handlebars.

My first thought when I felt it was that it was a very slight high frequency wobble in the front end.

Do previous R1200 models have a similar vibration or oscillation feeling?
Same wheels and tires as on mine, but I can't feel it through my hands (I might have become unsensitive after my 800). But it is visible when riding handsfree.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:19 AM   #8
ianwalberg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Mine is rock solid, so far up to 110 mph ...
ianwalberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:02 AM   #9
Marki_GSA
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
Put the bike on the centre stand, weight the backend so the front is off the ground and spin the front wheel. Look to see if there are any wobbles in the wheel/tyre. Its not uncommon to get a bad tyre and I would check the back as well although more likely to be the front. Also check tyre pressures. If wheels, tyres and pressures are ok push and pull the front and back to make sure there isn't any play somewhere. If none of that lot shows anything up then its probably time to play with suspension setups. Bikes are setup for Mr average so if your lighter or heavier than this then suspension settings might help a lot.
Did you have a big jacket on or panniers at the time as these can also affect a bike.
Failing all that, get it back to the dealer for a check and see what they say.
No idea about the WC but my 09 GSA runs straight as an arrow at all speeds including max same as any oil head will.
Marki_GSA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:25 AM   #10
fractalsource
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
I can't imagine riding my bike without a steering damper. Now that I have one. I had a wobble as well, over 65 mph, (105 km/h) - On my F8gs. I spent money asking the shop to balance the tires, check the spokes, etc.
I had TKC 80's. The wobble continued well into the tires being worn. (700-800 miles.)
I couldn't adjust my forks as they are non-adjustable. The problem could not be solved with adjusting the suspension on the back of the bike.
I weigh a lot more than the average rider.
The steering damper made my bike feel safer.
Otherwise. I would have sold it.
Not much worse - than high speed wobbles.
I'm running Heidenau tires now. And they are quite a bit smoother on the pavement. But not worth the loss of performance in the dirt.
fractalsource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:40 AM   #11
Voz OP
Gnarly Adventurer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0YcMUEFal0

This personal review of a 13 GSW talks about the GS Shaking its head, watch from 6.00

2013 R1200 GSW Red - Blown Engine & Gearbox (clutch basket nut issue) - AUG 14
2015 R1200 GSW White - NOV 14
Old 05-15-2013, 10:59 AM   #12
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianwalberg View Post
Mine is rock solid, so far up to 110 mph ...
At high speeds mine doesn't do that. 120 with 3 cases is rock solid, 135mph is also solid (haven't taken it over that speed). But around 50 to 60 mph it can occur.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:12 AM   #13
nwpa
Generally amused

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB1 View Post
At high speeds mine doesn't do that. 120 with 3 cases is rock solid, 135mph is also solid (haven't taken it over that speed). But around 50 to 60 mph it can occur.
Would be interesting and of potential value to have reports on tire brand and rim type on these in case we see a pattern with tire/rim combinations.
nwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:13 AM   #14
pinkius
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
must have the same amount of fork oil in the forks when not leaking
Make sure it has tight bearing head
must have both hands on bars when shaking at higher speed
pinkius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:24 PM   #15
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Oddometer: 980
Something's not right. I can ride hands-off at triple-digit speeds and the bike's rock-solid.
'05Train is offline   Reply With Quote