Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2013, 04:20 PM   #46
At adventure
AB

Oddometer: 121
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB1 View Post
If all is right: my video of the front end wobble. Appears between 85 and 75 kph. The front wheel has been rebalanced since then.
The wobble only appears in certain conditions.

Wow that does look bad on video. Similar to my problem. Tourance with spokes here too. Surprising that you say you can not feel that with hands on the bars! Good to hear a wheel balance has helped. I suggested it might be a wheel balance problem to the dealer and he said in 7 years of servicing bikes he has never seen a wheel balance cause shake (so he did not check it!). Well I will have to show him your video and do one of mine as well. Will report back. Thanks for posting.
At adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:58 PM   #47
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 2,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by At adventure View Post
Wow that does look bad on video. Similar to my problem. Tourance with spokes here too. Surprising that you say you can not feel that with hands on the bars! Good to hear a wheel balance has helped. I suggested it might be a wheel balance problem to the dealer and he said in 7 years of servicing bikes he has never seen a wheel balance cause shake (so he did not check it!). Well I will have to show him your video and do one of mine as well. Will report back. Thanks for posting.
???
First of all if he is servicing bikes for 7 years, find someone with more experience. In local dealerships mechanics servicing bikes for 7 years are usually still assistant mechanics (except if they go freelance, but then they are not authorized dealers).

Second, OF COURSE wheel balance can cause shake (not much though but can), not only every mechanic knows that but every rider should know that too.
NLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:32 AM   #48
At adventure
AB

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
???
First of all if he is servicing bikes for 7 years, find someone with more experience. In local dealerships mechanics servicing bikes for 7 years are usually still assistant mechanics (except if they go freelance, but then they are not authorized dealers).

Second, OF COURSE wheel balance can cause shake (not much though but can), not only every mechanic knows that but every rider should know that too.
Good point. And he is the owner of the dealership!
At adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:58 AM   #49
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB1 View Post
If all is right: my video of the front end wobble. Appears between 85 and 75 kph. The front wheel has been rebalanced since then.
The wobble only appears in certain conditions.
Motorcycle chassis are inherently unstable as they decelerate, even if slight. Riding with no hands = improper operation. Combine those two and you get what is in the video. This is a non-problem.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:43 AM   #50
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Motorcycle chassis are inherently unstable as they decelerate, even if slight. Riding with no hands = improper operation. Combine those two and you get what is in the video. This is a non-problem.
What he says.

I suspect we read more of this "issue" when more and more (12GS or other) bikes are out with cruise control and more riders ride with no-hands for extended periods of time.

That said, a wobble FELT through the hands is another thing and needs more info before dismissing it as a non-issue.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:26 AM   #51
Thinc2
Paciugo

Oddometer: 4,484
Quote:
I disagree. He is not talking about a vibration - but a wobble/oscillation at 100 kmh.

I think he needs to get his tires to the proper pressure and try again. If it persists, it needs to be checked out.
Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:42 AM   #52
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinc2 View Post
I disagree. He is not talking about a vibration - but a wobble/oscillation at 100 kmh.

I think he needs to get his tires to the proper pressure and try again. If it persists, it needs to be checked out.
Which part do you disagree with?
Old 06-10-2013, 08:15 AM   #53
Willie B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemiiten View Post
BMW quit balancing the rear wheel from the factory a ways back. Did they quit doing the front too? New bike owners should return to the dealer and ask the wheel/s be balanced.
How far back? Mine was balanced or someone had installed wheel weights on the front and rear wheels. Probably for cosmetics?
Willie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:22 AM   #54
Willie B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
I've never experienced front end wobble on my GS, though I have experienced horrible handling from an under inflated front tire. I would think that the wheel is either out of balance or your tire could have a manufacturing defect. I rode yesterday and found myself riding several times with my hands off the bars without issue.
Willie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:48 AM   #55
Thinc2
Paciugo

Oddometer: 4,484
Quote:
Which part do you disagree with?
I disagree that it is not a problem. 100 KMH is not very fast. If he's getting wobbles/oscillation, I wouldn't ignore it. Based on the OP's original description, this didn't sound like something related to deceleration.

If you were commenting only on the video and not on the overall problem, then I shouldn't have directed my disagreement directly at you.

I just don't want him to ignore something that could potentially be dangerous - and my impression was this was not a deceleration issue. I do think he needs to check his tire pressures though.

So apologies if I responded to your post but pulled in other factors.
Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:56 AM   #56
pm_wizard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
I just received my June copy of Bike magazine (from the U.K.), and they worked extensively on the proving grounds to replicate the tank slapper that apparently occurred at the South Africa launch.

They did finally get a wobble, but they had to really fiddle with the settings to make it happen

The implication was that it is not a serious problem (my words) and they expressed full confidence in the bike.

John
pm_wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:07 AM   #57
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinc2 View Post
I disagree that it is not a problem. 100 KMH is not very fast. If he's getting wobbles/oscillation, I wouldn't ignore it. Based on the OP's original description, this didn't sound like something related to deceleration.

If you were commenting only on the video and not on the overall problem, then I shouldn't have directed my disagreement directly at you.

I just don't want him to ignore something that could potentially be dangerous - and my impression was this was not a deceleration issue. I do think he needs to check his tire pressures though.

So apologies if I responded to your post but pulled in other factors.
No worries here, I just wanted to understand. It was pretty hard to tell exactly what the speed was doing, but almost all bikes will start to wobble a bit when you take your hands off the bars. Almost anything can contribute - a worn tire, road surface, various chassis bearings, etc., etc. Some bikes do it more than others. The steeper the steering head angle and the shorter the wheelbase, the more likely it will do this. My point about hands off being improper operation is that if there is no wobble or weave when hands are ON the bars, then the bike has no problem. Something that a bike does ONLY when hands are OFF the bars is interesting, but largely irrelevant.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:15 AM   #58
Tonopah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 452
The BMW dealership in Ventura County (Newbury Park) CA services a lot of police/CHP bikes. They install RideOn in the tires for LEOs. RideOn will fill a puncture (not in the sidewalls, of course) but also serves to balance the tire. No wheel weights are used at all when using RideOn.

On their recommendation, I tried this in the tires of my '09 R1200GS (TKC-80s) and it works as advertised. Have it in the tires on my '11 F658 too (TKC-80s).
Old 06-10-2013, 02:51 PM   #59
Callisto224
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voz View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0YcMUEFal0

This personal review of a 13 GSW talks about the GS Shaking its head, watch from 6.00
The reviewer did something interesting when he was talking about the shake, he lowered the windshield/windscreen. Maybe there's some buffeting being introduced that affects the steering. It's worth a try to change it and see if it helps!

2009 1200GS
Callisto224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:00 PM   #60
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto224 View Post
The reviewer did something interesting when he was talking about the shake, he lowered the windshield/windscreen. Maybe there's some buffeting being introduced that affects the steering. It's worth a try to change it and see if it helps!
Makes sense actually (having seen the screen vibrate)...

(btw I wonder what TT is going to come up with this time about it)