Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2013, 09:01 AM   #16
Usernumbernine OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Hey,

I've updated the map.

I'm now planing to go from Luxembourg to Basel through the German black forest.

Here is the route.

http://goo.gl/VCLXy

I'd be awesomely grateful if anyone that has ridden around those parts could lend me some wisdom about the place.

Thanks again one more time.

'06 Ducati Sport 1000 Monoposto
'13 BMW R 1200 GS TE (bought but waiting for ze germans to deliver it)
Usernumbernine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:45 AM   #17
Usernumbernine OP
Adventurer

Updated the black forest bit after some research and am now going to Zurich instead of Basel to try and get the service done.

http://goo.gl/25ack

Old 05-18-2013, 10:37 AM   #18
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usernumbernine View Post
Updated the black forest bit after some research and am now going to Zurich instead of Basel to try and get the service done.

http://goo.gl/25ack
Good choice. Highway 500 from Baden to Waldshut is a gorgeous ride. From there it's a chipshot to Zurich. You don't lose anything by going Basel-Zurich, traffic is very dense.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:13 PM   #19
Slim-Line Tonic
Watch time fly...

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTLover View Post
Furka and Stelvio are almost sure to be closed, Turini I don't know.

OK, I think you're jumping into the deep end. Your potential problems are, well, potential problems. You indicate you'll go from London to Cannes on the 15th. No, you won't. It's 1300 kms and at best you'd have to do two days and that would be on autoroutes, A to B. Your really have to consider your wife, or maybe your future ex-wife after the trip. Pillion isn't nearly as much fun as the pilot.

Just my 2 cents. I have another quid but I'll stop here.
Yes.... as Mr Lover Lover points out, 1300km (some of which are through the mountains) in a day might be a bit too over-optimistic... With a pillion you always need to take it easy too... there's too much to see, too much sexy landscape to enjoy as well (Iv'e been around the south for years and i still love it)- chances are that the weather will be good below Latitude 44 and you might be better off leaving earlier (at least an extra 24 hours early) to go through the 06 and 83 in France, enjoy the southern french alps a bit.

#RTLover: be kool! you need to spend that quid on a beer or two and chill out!!
Slim-Line Tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:03 PM   #20
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim-Line Tonic View Post
Yes.... as Mr Lover Lover points out, 1300km (some of which are through the mountains) in a day might be a bit too over-optimistic... With a pillion you always need to take it easy too... there's too much to see, too much sexy landscape to enjoy as well (Iv'e been around the south for years and i still love it)- chances are that the weather will be good below Latitude 44 and you might be better off leaving earlier (at least an extra 24 hours early) to go through the 06 and 83 in France, enjoy the southern french alps a bit.

#RTLover: be kool! you need to spend that quid on a beer or two and chill out!!
Old 05-18-2013, 06:41 PM   #21
Usernumbernine OP
Adventurer

@slim-line tonic - The plan was never to do it in one day. I mean, god I'd be scared to do it in 3 even. Thanks for the advice though. I'm planing for around 400 miles per day right now, so I have time to see things. Am also planing to leave very early every day. Around 7ish.

@RTLover - Man, I am now really doing this by myself and I've made a bit of a mad change to one bit of the route and am planning to do it in either 5 300 miles days or 4 400 miles days. The main change is going down from zurich to try the stelvio pass before heading to andermatt. Also nice to put my feet in Austria for an hour or so. I have no knowledge at all of the region. Do think it's worth adding a day for that?

here is how it looks: http://goo.gl/JgMq2

Thanks guys, this whole thing of planning the route is super time consuming and your help has been a huge part of it. I'm really enjoying it though. Really can't understand why I wasn't doing this before.

Anyway. Cheers one more time for all the help!

Old 05-19-2013, 12:18 AM   #22
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
@slim-line tonic - The plan was never to do it in one day. I mean, god I'd be scared to do it in 3 even. Thanks for the advice though. I'm planing for around 400 miles per day right now, so I have time to see things. Am also planing to leave very early every day. Around 7ish.

@RTLover - Man, I am now really doing this by myself and I've made a bit of a mad change to one bit of the route and am planning to do it in either 5 300 miles days or 4 400 miles days. The main change is going down from zurich to try the stelvio pass before heading to andermatt. Also nice to put my feet in Austria for an hour or so. I have no knowledge at all of the region. Do think it's worth adding a day for that?

here is how it looks: http://goo.gl/JgMq2

Thanks guys, this whole thing of planning the route is super time consuming and your help has been a huge part of it. I'm really enjoying it though. Really can't understand why I wasn't doing this before.

Anyway. Cheers one more time for all the help!
I won't tell you not to do it, I'll just try to shave off the bits that will needlessly cost you time and mileage or don't have much riding pleasure.

Stelvio is an icon. Why, I don't know. IMO, it isn't one of the best passes to ride, perhaps with the exception of the southbound road to Bormio. There are two approaches from the north. Lemmie tell you that S38 is tricky, more so with a big bike. There are 48 very tight and poor visibility hairpins on a poor surface, oncoming traffic. The other approach is from Mustair. Shorter but still with a dozen or more hairpins. This does not diminish your claim to having conquered the hill.

Your map has you going from Davos to Nauders and then south to S38. My suggestion is to go through Zernez and take the 28 through the very nice Ofenpass to Mustair and up to the pass from there or on down to the S38 for the other approach.

Julierpass is the perfect section to test your lean angles at speed, but only to the legal limit of course.

I take the mileage/time figures on any map as a minumum since they obviously can't predict weather, don't include stops, etc.

The advantage of riding solo/two-up is that you get to set the pace.

Cheers

RTLover screwed with this post 05-19-2013 at 12:24 AM
RTLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:03 AM   #23
xs904
Ready to scramble.

Oddometer: 16
Well, all I can say is what a fantastic way to run your new bike in!

Advice wise, don't rush and try to keep to deadlines, it spoils the fun. If you see something and want to stop then stop.
Eating out, the French stick strictly to lunch times. If you haven't stopped by 1pm, you're going to struggle to find anywhere open. That said, also look where the locals eat (lots of cars outside at lunch time), it will be cheap and good food. We found the restaurant's at railway stations usually excellent.

Fuel stations, not all except UK cards, and beware that almost everything is closed on Sunday in France.

Oh and post some photos when you get back.

Enjoy the trip.

Rob.
xs904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:48 PM   #24
Usernumbernine OP
Adventurer

With massive Help from RTLover this is the route so far:

http://goo.gl/0lzlk

I just need to refine the route from points A to B and points E to F as those are just main roads with no planned interesting route yet. So if any kind soul out there have any suggestions, it would be incredibly valuable!

@XS904 Thanks mate. Advice duly noted. The trip at this point is more important to me than the stuff I'll be doing in Cannes. Thanks for the tip on the cash, didn't think about that and I never normally carry cash around. Since I now plan to start the days quite early (6-7 am) I think if I don't stop by 1pm I will probably starve!

Another thing I need to start thinking about is how to document the trip.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:37 AM   #25
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
With massive Help from RTLover this is the route so far:

http://goo.gl/0lzlk

I just need to refine the route from points A to B and points E to F as those are just main roads with no planned interesting route yet. So if any kind soul out there have any suggestions, it would be incredibly valuable!

@XS904 — Thanks mate. Advice duly noted. The trip at this point is more important to me than the stuff I'll be doing in Cannes. Thanks for the tip on the cash, didn't think about that and I never normally carry cash around. Since I now plan to start the days quite early (6-7 am) I think if I don't stop by 1pm I will probably starve!

Another thing I need to start thinking about is how to document the trip.
If I were planning A-B, I'd take the same route as you've laid out. Why? Because I'd want to cover that segment as quickly as possible. IMO, the north of France and the west of Belgium are rather boring. I'd want to bank some miles straight away to spend later on in the trip. French motorways are predominately toll, whereas Belgium's are free. As for the Lux-Baden leg, I haven't done your route but I've done the A31/A4 in France more times than I ever wanted. It's mind numbing most of the way.

From Diekirch, you can hook up to the route 10 just to the east, which follows a river to near Trier. It would likely be slow going because of the time of year but it's worth the detour. My minimum knowledge of that area of Germany is the autobahns.

XS904 brought up some practical info. As for credit/debit cards, in France, if you don't have one for a French bank, you'll generally be blocked out at automated pumps. Along the autoroutes, stations are 24/7 and no problem with cards. There are frequent service areas, petrol, food, etc. In towns of any size you can usually find some sort of eatery open but not all day. Your ATM card should work at French banks' ATMs. Good idea to have some euros handy. Accepted in Switzerland in many tourist areas, hotel, restaurants, but always wise to have some Swiss francs as well for incidentals.

Just a note about highway numbers in Europe if you're not familiar. Especially on the motorways, you'll see numbers beginning with 'E' and 'A' on the same roads. 'E' designates European-wide roads.

Document the trip? Pics, pics, pics. Vids if you have a GoPro or similar. Don't get trapped by the 'gotta keep rolling, no time for pics' mantra. If you see something, stop. Before you collapse in the evening, make some notes on the map or in a note book because the trip isn't easy to keep straight in your head.

RTLover screwed with this post 05-20-2013 at 03:46 AM
RTLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:09 PM   #26
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 8,192
Quote:
About the only thing you realized is that there is a first service point.

Two-up on a Monoposto? Could be interesting since it has only one seat. Mono=one, posto=seat.

It might be helpful if you actually read the posts.
Live and learn eh I never knew what monoposto meant, I do now :)
Guns don't kill people, people kill people but people with guns manage to kill more people than people without.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:01 PM   #27
Usernumbernine OP
Adventurer

Heya. News on the trip. It all seems to be going according to plan, in no small part due to your help.

I'm now just a bit scared with the way I have created my GPS file and I don't know if I am doing this right. I've put the whole thing in one long route with loads of waypoints and I don't know if this is the best way of doing this. I'm quite worried about it actually.

Anyone experience willing to take a look at this GPX file and tell me if this is ok?

File is here: http://we.tl/4HRnLUZVgc

Thanks again a lot for the help.

Hopefully this will happen.

Old 06-08-2013, 06:28 AM   #28
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,177
Quote:
Stelvio is an icon. Why, I don't know.
The highest pass in the Alps with competing Wurst Men at the top?

I do agree with your overall evaluation - I don't mind going down the Trafoi side, but coming up is a major PITA.

OTOH, being in the Alps on a bike and not visiting the Stelvio is like being a Catholic in Rome and not visiting the Vatican. It's just something that HAS to be done
Michael J. - IBA #3901
Ten years in the Alps (so far)
Alpine Trip Reports: 2006, 2007, 2009
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:39 AM   #29
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,177
Quote:
Anyone experience willing to take a look at this GPX file and tell me if this is ok?
I'm coming into this a bit late.

The GPX loaded into Microsoft's AutoRoute nicely - 2,524.6 kms over 5 days, per AutoRoute. Busy.

Below is a screen capture of my GPS from 2011, and is pretty much average compared to prior years - the Moving Average is the critical figure here and included about 500~600 kms of Autobahn.

I tend to do short days - leisurely breakfast and early stops, but that doesn't change the average speeds. The general consensus (over on alpineroads.com) is that 250~300 KMS/day in the Alps is a good day's ride. You'll be primarily on main roads, so that figure could kick up to 4~500kms/day comfortably. If you have booked your hotels along the route, that lets you do a longer day without wondering if you'll find a place to sleep that night.

Consider that on backroads (i.e. non-autoroute) will have you going through a lot of towns with their commensurate low speed limits.

You're spending a lot of time in Switzerland. Switzerland is lovely, but has low speed limits overall. Which the local constabulary be more than happy will point out. Visa/Mastercard accepted.

I'm not sure how your schedules are, but since you have an event in Cannes, I'd take a quicker direct route down, and take a more leisurely trip back.

Going back to one of RT_Lover's posts, I'd be VERY tempted to take a right at Santa Maria Val Mustair (just before your point #38) and go over the Umbrail Pass and then on up to the Stelvio, doubling back to Bormio from the top (after the mandatory Wurst (see my previous post)).

I say this because (a) you're on a new-to-you bike and are carrying a pillion - another new experience. Climbing the uphill right hairpins on the Trafoi side can be difficult, especially with oncoming downhill traffic. On the plus side is that you'll be on a GS which has lots of low-end grunt and fairly quick steering.
Michael J. - IBA #3901
Ten years in the Alps (so far)
Alpine Trip Reports: 2006, 2007, 2009
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:28 PM   #30
Usernumbernine OP
Adventurer

Hey MichaelJ,

Amazing response. Thanks so much for taking the time to do this and for looking at the GPX file.

A few things have changed for other people have pointed out to the same things you did.

I'm not taking a pillion passenger anymore (that was a big lapse of judgement which has been fixed)

The trip will now happen over 7 days. I'll leave London on the 13th in the morning. Always starting early.

Leg 1 - London to Han-Sur-Lesse

Leg 2 - Han-sur-lesse to Ettlingen (where I will stop at a BMW dealership for my bikes first service)

Leg 3 - Ettlingen to Davos (short day due to service in the morning and in preparation for the next couple of days in the alps)

Leg 4 - Davos to Andermatt through the stelvio

Leg 5 - Andermatt to Chamonix

Leg 6 - Chamonix to Grenoble

Leg 7 - Grenoble to Cannes

I haven't booked any hotels as I'm trying to keep some flexibility but that was a decision taken without much consideration, should I reconsider this? What's your opinion?

As I don't know the stelvio region well at all I'm trying to understand your directions to plot it on google plus before fiddling with the route on the gps but I am not really sure about what you meant. I imagine that uphill hairpins will probably be a royal pain but if they are going to be too hard for me than maybe i should reconsider. i will try and plot this route on GMaps, see if I can manage to understand it.

---

New Edit: Am I going the wrong way around the stelvio? Is it absolutely mad if I do this then? http://goo.gl/maps/t6fTu Really want to ride all of those hairpins :)

Usernumbernine screwed with this post 06-08-2013 at 02:16 PM