User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2013, 04:59 AM   #1
biggus OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Batteries in Parallel?

Having a hard time finding another battery here in Thailand after my Voltage Rectifier damaged my 18ah Shorai and died in the middle of Laos. This time it was at least in a small town instead of the middle of the jungle like the year before. I was able to locate the only 9ah battery around. Everything was 2.5, 5 or 7ahs.

I had found some small 12volt 7ah maintenance free batteries in my search and was thinking if I could connect 2 in parallel to create 14ah? 3 may even fit in the battery box.

Any issues that I should be aware of doing this?

Links to part of an adventure I had the pleasure to be include in are below.
http://motorcycletourslaos.blogspot.com/
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ght=laos+lifan
biggus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:18 AM   #2
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,914
I have run batteries in Parallel before without issue (both 14ah though)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:40 AM   #3
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,681
Only problem with parallel connection is that the battery with the least internal resistance will draw the largest current, so they won't be equally charged. But in the absence of an alternative, that might as well be good enough.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:48 AM   #4
Keith
Slabbing it

Oddometer: 872
Just about all modern diesel vehicles run batteries in parallel. My duramax has two group 78 batteries in it.

Go for it. So long as they are matched, it shouldn't be a big issue.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:39 PM   #5
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 2,979
When my stock Yuasa was on its death bed, i bought 2 identical 10Ah batteries (Yuasa again) and connected them in parallel. Just use thick cable (i used 5sqmm IIRC). I paralleled both +ve cables at the starter relay and the -ves separately at the shortest possible run (ie., i left the stock -ve cable untouched but chose a shorter run for the 2nd battery -ve cable to a frame ground in the trellis area)

Been running this setup for almost 3 years now and never had a problem. Starts are quick & trouble free even after not touching the bike for weeks together while the stock single battery would regularly need boosting/charging in similar conditions.

If you like in hot/humid conditions then i'd highly recommend this upgrade.
No beautiful body soft and warm to the touch but, i have a very small desire
Give me a dark... long... winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire !!
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:58 PM   #6
biggus OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicks View Post
When my stock Yuasa was on its death bed, i bought 2 identical 10Ah batteries (Yuasa again) and connected them in parallel. Just use thick cable (i used 5sqmm IIRC). I paralleled both +ve cables at the starter relay and the -ves separately at the shortest possible run (ie., i left the stock -ve cable untouched but chose a shorter run for the 2nd battery -ve cable to a frame ground in the trellis area)

Been running this setup for almost 3 years now and never had a problem. Starts are quick & trouble free even after not touching the bike for weeks together while the stock single battery would regularly need boosting/charging in similar conditions.

If you like in hot/humid conditions then i'd highly recommend this upgrade.
Vicks,

Do you have the info on the 10ah Yuasa batteries? Did they both fit in the battery compartment? Mount any position? For motorcycles?
Old 05-16-2013, 09:24 PM   #7
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 2,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus View Post
Vicks,

Do you have the info on the 10ah Yuasa batteries? Did they both fit in the battery compartment? Mount any position? For motorcycles?
Yes, they are Motorcycle batteries and much smaller than the stock Yuasa. But pls note that i mounted the 2nd battery in the empty space under seat as i dont have an ABS unit (mine's an "S").....

Bought them from my local Honda dealer..
No beautiful body soft and warm to the touch but, i have a very small desire
Give me a dark... long... winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire !!
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:35 PM   #8
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus View Post
Having a hard time finding another battery here in Thailand after my Voltage Rectifier damaged my 18ah Shorai and died in the middle of Laos. This time it was at least in a small town instead of the middle of the jungle like the year before. I was able to locate the only 9ah battery around. Everything was 2.5, 5 or 7ahs.

I had found some small 12volt 7ah maintenance free batteries in my search and was thinking if I could connect 2 in parallel to create 14ah? 3 may even fit in the battery box.

Any issues that I should be aware of doing this?

Links to part of an adventure I had the pleasure to be include in are below.
http://motorcycletourslaos.blogspot.com/
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ght=laos+lifan
that Shorai LFX18 is way too small .. actual AH is about 4.6... yup when your RR goes .. 17v+ gets dumped into battery, killing it.

when hooking up two batteries in parallel .. both needs to be same chemistries with same voltage/size or battery with higher voltage will attempt to charge up lower voltage one, until voltage even out. two identical 7AH batteries in parallel will work just fine.

don't put another lead acid battery in parallel with LiFePO4 .. their operating voltage range are completely different.
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:42 AM   #9
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
that Shorai LFX18 is way too small .. actual AH is about 4.6... yup when your RR goes .. 17v+ gets dumped into battery, killing it.

when hooking up two batteries in parallel .. both needs to be same chemistries with same voltage/size or battery with higher voltage will attempt to charge up lower voltage one, until voltage even out. two identical 7AH batteries in parallel will work just fine.

don't put another lead acid battery in parallel with LiFePO4 .. their operating voltage range are completely different.
^^^ What CY said....

Unless electrical engineering has change in the last 20 years...as long as they are the same type ie led acid and same voltage..ie charge rate, its fine. The ah's just add like capacitance.....C= c1+c2+ etc.

If different types...nothing stopping you charging the second battery as a back up using a charger. Ie i use a 12v lead acid to charge a 11.4V lithium polymer....
Old 05-18-2013, 03:42 PM   #10
killabyte
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Theory is not the same as practice. True batts are not identical and if not equalized properly you will shorten their life span. if you use mix parallel new and old batts it will lead to overheat or even explosion of the cells. i recommend doing that just if you are in a hurry but not as a long term solution. use identical ones
killabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:40 PM   #11
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by killabyte View Post
Theory is not the same as practice. True batts are not identical and if not equalized properly you will shorten their life span. if you use mix parallel new and old batts it will lead to overheat or even explosion of the cells. i recommend doing that just if you are in a hurry but not as a long term solution. use identical ones
think water flowing in a pipe ...
volts is pressure ... amps/current is flow

when two batteries are hooked parallel ... if volts is higher in one battery, then current will flow to into battery with lower volts.

yes it's best to only hook two identical batteries in parallel. but in the real world that doesn't always happen.

I'm running 2x Optima AGM hooked in parallel in my 12v Cummins truck. started out with 2x identical Optima blue top, same age/size/chemistry.

after about 6 years one blue top Optima died and would not recover. didn't feel like buying two new batteries when I had several other Optima Yellow and Red top Optima laying around.

installed a Optima Yellow top in parallel with existing Blue top. completely different age and AH size. that's been over 2 years ago with no issues. both were AGM batteries that held 12.8V+ resting voltage.
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:24 PM   #12
GoNOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,478
Mixing battery sizes(not voltage or type, wet, agm, LiON) when connected in parallel is not an issue. 12.6V is fully charged be it a 2Ah cell or a 200Ah cell. This is assuming the cells are healthy.

Connecting them in series with different sizes brings major problems.
GoNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:26 AM   #13
Bowser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
I have looked at this thread with interest, I have had the odd flat battery and I am looking to try and solve the problem.
I have a GIT bash plate which has a compartment for a tool roll, I am looking at the possibility of adding and extra battery in there and running in parallel, has anyone else tried adding a battery in that location, any problems?
Bowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:07 AM   #14
StevenD
Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer: 1,111
I lost my battery in Iran and replaced with 2 sealed 7.2 amp battery's used in alarm cabinets. worked fine for at least a year or so.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:50 AM   #15
biggus OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenD View Post
I lost my battery in Iran and replaced with 2 sealed 7.2 amp battery's used in alarm cabinets. worked fine for at least a year or so.

I have seen a few of those type batteries around and was curious if they would work since they are not specifically for motorcycles. Bouncing/shock, heat and water are not what these type of batteries were intended to be used in.

I have seen a 12 volt, 20ah battery like this that would fit but was not sure if it would hold up or blow up.
Has anyone else have comments on this type of battery?