User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2006, 07:36 PM   #1
Nightstalker OP
YO BUDDYPAL!

Oddometer: 5,886
KTM 950 Clutch Replacement

I toasted my clutch at an enduro 2 weeks ago. While the 950 is really a go anywhere bike, a 6/10 mile nasty rocky hill climb was too much to ask of my clutch, with somewhere in the neighborhood of 9400 miles on it. I returned home thinking (hoping) that an oil change would cure my ails. It did, but it was short lived. 150 miles later (last weekend) and I was slipping uncontrollably on the last leg home.

Immediately, I began tearing the bike down for a clutch replacement!

What's left of my old clutch.

The old vs. the new, friction plates.

Another angle, sorry it didn't turn out better.

New clutch plates installed, ready for new springs and the button up.

The old clutch and springs with measurement for reference.

Swapping the clutch is not all that difficult a job. The only "special" tool I needed was a pick to pull the plates out of the basket.

Parts used: 11 friction plates, 10 steel plates, a large washer/spacer and a similar sized "spring" installed behind all plates, 6 new clutch springs, and a new o-ring for the clutch cover. Since I replaced the oil last week, I used 600cc of new engine oil to replace what was lost from the engine during the clutch service.
Nightstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 08:47 PM   #2
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
Nice photos Nightstalker. Thanks. Looks like you have the "old" push rod in there, though
-cp

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 11:34 AM   #3
adventure950
Anglo-Saxon

Oddometer: 472
Pissed

I have been waiting over two weeks for a set of clutch springs - seems KTM can not supply any at the moment - not good as the old springs are buggered and the new clutch is slipping as soon as you wind it on a touch. I am going to get on to KTM UK tommorrow see what they have to say - my bike has been off the road now for 3 weeks waiting for clutch parts 1 week for all the plates and still waiting for springs. I am off on a continental trip in a few weeks so best they get their finger out.
adventure950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 12:27 PM   #4
kamanya
Andrew to most

Oddometer: 1,222
A few questions;

1: If you don't mind, what did that cost you?

2: Are the plates an industry standard, for example can you get Honda or Kawa, etc. plates that would do the same job?

Thanks
Old 06-11-2006, 01:40 PM   #5
adventure950
Anglo-Saxon

Oddometer: 472
Kamanya - I dont know if there is any other plates that would fit as standard as there is so many variations however the plates are japanese so no doubt something somewhere will match. In the UK the Steel disk plates are £3.27 each X10 = £32.70, Lining Disk £9.10 each x 9 £81.90 and the two outside disk are £10.86 and £15. each so all the bits cost about £140.00 = the springs which I aint got a price for yet but not terrible prices when you consider the price of many vehicle clutches I suppose !
adventure950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 08:37 PM   #6
Nightstalker OP
YO BUDDYPAL!

Total parts were between $450 and $500 (USD). I don't have the invoice handy (it's in the garage). Thats for the friction plates, steel plates, and springs. There's also a washer and spring that goes in first behind the stack, I don't remember what the price was on those items either. Must be old age!

I didn't look around for any type of substitute plates. I get my parts from my trusty KTM dealer.

tz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamanya
A few questions;

1: If you don't mind, what did that cost you?

2: Are the plates an industry standard, for example can you get Honda or Kawa, etc. plates that would do the same job?

Thanks
Old 06-13-2006, 09:48 PM   #7
BigMac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
Maybe its just I but those frictions look cooked more than worn. It appears from your 2nd posting, the oil was relatively new? Was this dino or synthetic oil? How much oil was in clutch housing when cover was removed? I'd look at your oil jet to be sure something is not clogged. I just cannot figure how the frictions could become so black yet appear to have plenty of friction material left, particularly on an oil-cooled clutch. Take care
BigMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 04:47 AM   #8
9nine0
Formally NineFive0 V2

Oddometer: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstalker
I toasted my clutch at an enduro 2 weeks ago. While the 950 is really a go anywhere bike, a 6/10 mile nasty rocky hill climb was too much to ask of my clutch, with somewhere in the neighborhood of 9400 miles on it. I returned home thinking (hoping) that an oil change would cure my ails. It did, but it was short lived. 150 miles later (last weekend) and I was slipping uncontrollably on the last leg home.

Immediately, I began tearing the bike down for a clutch replacement!

What's left of my old clutch.

The old vs. the new, friction plates.

Another angle, sorry it didn't turn out better.

New clutch plates installed, ready for new springs and the button up.

The old clutch and springs with measurement for reference.

Swapping the clutch is not all that difficult a job. The only "special" tool I needed was a pick to pull the plates out of the basket.

Parts used: 11 friction plates, 10 steel plates, a large washer/spacer and a similar sized "spring" installed behind all plates, 6 new clutch springs, and a new o-ring for the clutch cover. Since I replaced the oil last week, I used 600cc of new engine oil to replace what was lost from the engine during the clutch service.
The picture you have of the new clutch installed is incorrect. The last fiber plate is offset one tooth, (not inline with all the other fibers) You can see where the original fiber wore into the clutch basket on the opposite meshing. Take the pressure plate off and rotate the last fiber one meshing. Also, the first fiber plate that you installed has a larger inner diameter to clear the oil spring and washer. The last fiber plate has a different compound because it rides against the alluminum pressure plate. It has a darker color fiber material and the pads are larger. Make sure all your plates are in correctly and change the last plate on the photo.
9nine0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 06:07 AM   #9
KTMITA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
you got good eyes man ! good to know hehe.
KTMITA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 01:44 PM   #10
1stiski
Ride that nasty thing

Oddometer: 1,558
TZ fails to note, massive 1,2,3rd gear wheelies, ALWAYS. Can't wait to cook more clutch lining this weekend!!!
"Grim Brother" #1
1stiski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 02:16 PM   #11
FarmerRick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,307
Anyone found a slipper clutch that would work in the 950?
Old 06-14-2006, 03:35 PM   #12
Mouse
I'm only smelly

Oddometer: 8,851
gefr, you say don't listen to 990 but then say exactly the same thing as he did... did you actually read what he wrote?

or did I miss something???

“It is better to stir up a question without deciding it than to decide it without stirring it up”
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 04:47 PM   #13
9nine0
Formally NineFive0 V2

Oddometer: 402
Don't take my word for it.......... read the manual. The last plate SHOULD BE offset one tooth or meshing.
9nine0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 08:24 PM   #14
Nightstalker OP
YO BUDDYPAL!

Good eye and thanks for the concern! I placed the new plates in the same positions that the old plates were removed. You are correct that the first and last plates are both unique. I triple checked my parts to be sure the plates were installed in the correct order. Definitely not a job to be rushed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9nine0
The picture you have of the new clutch installed is incorrect. The last fiber plate is offset one tooth, (not inline with all the other fibers) You can see where the original fiber wore into the clutch basket on the opposite meshing. Take the pressure plate off and rotate the last fiber one meshing. Also, the first fiber plate that you installed has a larger inner diameter to clear the oil spring and washer. The last fiber plate has a different compound because it rides against the alluminum pressure plate. It has a darker color fiber material and the pads are larger. Make sure all your plates are in correctly and change the last plate on the photo.
Old 06-15-2006, 05:34 AM   #15
kamanya
Andrew to most

Oddometer: 1,222
from the manual

Here you go...
Attached Images