ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2013, 11:29 AM   #61
Corsica101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by batmobil View Post
Might I ask which tank bag that is? It looks good. The OEM sucks
Thanks!
Batmobil
Givi XS308 Tanklock...good stuff:)
Corsica101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:11 AM   #62
Czechthisout
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Seat

[QUOTE=Corsica101;21889451]
Quote:
Congrats for your bike!!!

Could you tell us L/100 in your short trip?/QUOTE]

Thanks...to be honest I didn't really pay attention that much. I was in a big rush. I tanked mostly when my range dropped to about 50-70km, then I could only fill around 16-18l so about 7-5L was still left. I think I got about 300k's out of it. Once out off France and in Spain I was pushing 150-160! so I'm pretty happy with the consumption.

I do think there are a few downsides to the bike I so if anybody has some suggestions regarding these please feel free to share...

At the end of the ride my right wrist muscles were hurting quite a bit and ended up pretty bad tendinitis a few days later ! I think because with the electronic throttle it's harder to keep it in the same place like conventional throttle and you end up forcing your grip.

I read that a few riders found that the engine was putting out a lot of heat and I can say the same! It was a 35 day on the french riviera and I had to ride with my leg a bit spread open (nice sight!) to stop sweating. In traffic jams and waiting at the toll stations the oil creeped up to 95 and then with the fan blowing it gets really, really hot. Don't think i'll complain in the winter about this but I'll might have to make some carbon heat shields too. Also the seat is not as comfy as I wished it was and on day 2 I was constantly shifting around

I find that the engine does have a fair amount of vibrations under 4000-4500rpm even in 3rd but once above that all hell brakes loose:)

Any suggestions for a softer seat? Has anybody bought the two piece seat wich is, if I understand correctly, a gel seat?

Other than that it's a beauty. I'm starting to prepare for a little round S.America trip next year

It's mine:)

Ready for a day in the rain

Home...sort off
I just finished a 2 day 800km tour or northern CZ. First real chance I had to test the gel seat I bought from KTM. Real difference versus the standard seat. I have to recommend. Since it was 40degrees I didnt have a chance to test the heating on it, but Im sure Ill have plenty of oppurtunity this fall. So if your rear is aching from long rides, opt for the gel seat.
Czechthisout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:26 AM   #63
Tancakar OP
Banned

Oddometer: 367
I am planing a trip a fairly long one , London to Istanbul. If anyone wants to join please contact me from here
Tancakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:17 AM   #64
hvralpha
Born2Ride

Oddometer: 12

Hallo Guys, have a new 1190 Adventure and live in Pretoria, South Africa. This country have some of the worlds most amazing offroad riding areas and I fully intend to explore them in the next few years.

I am 54 and a electronic engineer with my own business. I get some free time to travel and my wife always join in.

I took the Adventure and LC on test drives last week one up and with my wife. I choose the Adventure because it is a bike that has significantly better specs ( 23 L vs 20 L tank, 30+ more HP on back wheel, 20+ kg lighter and KTM's offload legacy). She choose the Adventure because she said she felt safer and more planted.

I took the bike for a 300 km spin this weekend which included 20 km dirt and some patches of soft sand. The bike was great through all of that and I did not come off especially considering that I went offroad 30 years ago at last count. It really gave me confidence since we rode with other riders and 3 came off. (all BMW bikes 650, 2 x 1200 adv). I cannot wait for the next ride.

The bike is great on dirt and great on the road. Yeehah!!!
Aprilia Tuono Twin 2009
Aprilia Caponord 2000
hvralpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:47 AM   #65
Babatad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tancakar View Post
I am planing a trip a fairly long one , London to Istanbul. If anyone wants to join please contact me from here
I wish mate - have a safe and enjoyable ride!!!
Babatad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:50 AM   #66
Babatad
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvralpha View Post
Hallo Guys, have a new 1190 Adventure and live in Pretoria, South Africa. This country have some of the worlds most amazing offroad riding areas and I fully intend to explore them in the next few years.

I am 54 and a electronic engineer with my own business. I get some free time to travel and my wife always join in.

I took the Adventure and LC on test drives last week one up and with my wife. I choose the Adventure because it is a bike that has significantly better specs ( 23 L vs 20 L tank, 30+ more HP on back wheel, 20+ kg lighter and KTM's offload legacy). She choose the Adventure because she said she felt safer and more planted.

I took the bike for a 300 km spin this weekend which included 20 km dirt and some patches of soft sand. The bike was great through all of that and I did not come off especially considering that I went offroad 30 years ago at last count. It really gave me confidence since we rode with other riders and 3 came off. (all BMW bikes 650, 2 x 1200 adv). I cannot wait for the next ride.

The bike is great on dirt and great on the road. Yeehah!!!
It's an awesome bike - funny your mrs made the decisive call or I'm assuming she did :)
Old 07-29-2013, 11:42 AM   #67
hvralpha
Born2Ride

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babatad View Post
It's an awesome bike - funny your mrs made the decisive call or I'm assuming she did :)
Well you know how it is. Agree with her on some minor points and the deal is done!

She is keen on touring but less on offroad riding. Will see if she joins me. I need a lot more offroad experience before that happens.
Aprilia Tuono Twin 2009
Aprilia Caponord 2000
hvralpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:03 PM   #68
Davy F
Pro Goolie Fiddler

Oddometer: 254
My new orange beastie has now arrived in the dealers. Should get her later in the week.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:56 PM   #69
Babatad
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy F View Post
My new orange beastie has now arrived in the dealers. Should get her later in the week.
Exciting!!!

Go easy, the bike wants to go so enjoy carefully. :)
Old 07-31-2013, 05:21 AM   #70
Corsica101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
[QUOTE=Czechthisout;21976391]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsica101 View Post

I just finished a 2 day 800km tour or northern CZ. First real chance I had to test the gel seat I bought from KTM. Real difference versus the standard seat. I have to recommend. Since it was 40degrees I didnt have a chance to test the heating on it, but Im sure Ill have plenty of oppurtunity this fall. So if your rear is aching from long rides, opt for the gel seat.
Great, thanks
Corsica101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:13 AM   #71
Dearnla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy F View Post
Dearnla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:40 AM   #72
Perljam
Adventurer

Oddometer: 8
Laugh

Fast forward to 2014!: Seriously considering new 1190 Adv standard model here in the US of A, and hoping to hear about reliability you all have experienced so far. Put 40,000 miles on 2011 R1200GS and had no issues - also BMW support system is tops, not inexpensive, but dealer network is extensive.

Any updates on annoying issues such as sore wrist due to fly-by-wire throttle, undue heat and hard seat?? Anything else?

Thanks
Perljam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:14 PM   #73
youngblood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
In my area (around Chattanooga) we have a new KTM dealer right in town (Griffith) and 3 others within 1.5-2 hours drive in Nashville, Knoxville and Atlanta. There are a few in/around Atlanta metro. From all appearances, KTMs dealer network has expanded significantly in the last 3 years.

2014 KTM Adv 1190R
2007 KTM Adv 990S Dakar 7k miles FOR SALE
2005 KTM 525 SX Supermoto/Rally
2002 KTM LC4 Supermoto (old GumbyDave-mobile)
youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:56 PM   #74
pyarnall
Adventurer reborn

Oddometer: 26
New owner 2014 Adventure comments

My nephew is a new KTM dealer, (Solid Performance), in Downingtown, PA, not far from Philadelphia. He managed to get a factory 1190 Adv demo on loan a few months ago so I made the five hour drive down from Upstate NY to visit and get a ride on the demo bike.

As background, I have been riding about half a century now. My current stable includes an '08 KTM 690 that I use for DS riding and a '10 990 Adventure, (for sale, BTW), that is my "road" bike, though they are often very bad, (good?) roads.

Given the amount of effort it took to get my 990 running they way it should, and outfitted to suit my needs, I was not expecting to be impressed by the 1190. It is an uncommon opportunity to he handed the keys to such a motorcycle and told to "have fun", so how could I not take him up on it? My brother rode his 690E with street tires and guided me all over Chester County. Even though I grew up in that area my brother gave me a fantastic tour on roads I did not even know about. Twisty country roads, gravel, highway... we did it all.

At the end of our little hundred mile demo, I parked the bike in my nephew's shop, handed him the key.... and promptly informed him that one of his incoming 1190s would have my name on it!

It has been noted by many already, and perhaps with greater eloquence, that the 1190 motor must be experienced to be believed. The dual plug ignition and FI mapping make the engine superbly well behaved from idle up. One can idle away in second gear without complaint and not a hint of the engine coughing or quitting. With a tighter steering radius than my 990 one can do first gear slow speed figure eights at idling speeds with complete engine and chassis control. The bike does indeed feel lighter than the 990 even though it is in fact ever so slightly heavier.

On the road, the bike is a "natural". Feels like it is on rails at all times. The brakes are superb. The motor traction control is utterly amazing. Pull off a paved road onto dirt - gravel and grab a handful of throttle... the rear wheel gives the tiniest wiggle and the bike rockets forward. The power delivery feels seamless. Truly amazing technology.

Ditto the ABS. I practice emergency stopping routinely and on a non ABS bike this requires paying attention. On the 1190 no matter what combination of brakes you apply the bike remains stable and stops very, very well. In real world street riding, this technology could save your bacon.

The fly by wire throttle has a pretty stiff return spring, which I am at a loss to understand the reasoning for, but the connection to the motor is perfect and not at all sensitive to "throttle jiggle". I intend to fashion some sort of mechanism to counter act the spring to lessen the wrist effort, but in truth, it did not really cause me any discomfort over the several hours I rode it. My early cycles, (old Harleys), had push - pull throttle cables with no spring return at all, (pre Federal standards), and I consider the hard spring returns of today to be ridiculous, but that is another story. I like to be able to rest my hands and even remove them from the grips briefly every now and then. Impossible with the current throttle spring, which appears to be largely tamper proof.

Some have called the seat "hard", but for my bony ass, it is amazingly good and I am not going to change it at all. It sits a little lower than the single piece seat of my 990 and allows me to easily flat foot the bike. I think it adds to the perception of it being lighter than it is.

Are there any faults? Aside from the throttle spring the most annoying feature is the turn signal switch followed by the high low beam switch. The signal switch has very little movement and thus very little tactile feedback. Without checking the dash for the indicator I was never sure if I had actually succeeded in turning them on. The high low beam switch is very easily flicked unintentionally, up or down. Admittedly, I was riding with winter gloves and I have big hands. These issues will probably be of less concern with my lighter summer gloves and more familiarity, but the design choices here could be improved.

I am very fussy about helmet noise due to turbulent airflow. I spent a lot of $ getting that problem fixed on my 990. The 1190 is better, but IMO, not great. Not even good, really. I have no idea why designers insist on putting the little reverse curl on the top of so many windshield designs... maybe it is supposed to look cool or sexy, but it adds turbulence to the air hitting the rider. At highway speeds I found the pressure "flutter" experienced by my ears to be utterly unacceptable in-spite of molded ear plugs. Other reports have deemed the wind screen pretty good. Hard for me to fathom that.

Then there is the issue of speedo error. Both the demo and my new bike, (yes it is sitting in the barn waiting for good weather), read optimistically by quite a bit... 6-7 mph at an honest 60 mph (GPS). I fixed that problem on my 990 with a Healtech recalibrator, but the 1190 is CAN bus so that device is not an option. I am hoping to learn that there is a way to use the internal software to make corrections. TBD. Why a motorcycle with 21st century technology is delivered with such an out of whack instrument dumbfounds me. This is a very high performance motorcycle. It needs an accurate speedometer.

I got a call from my nephew just before xmas that his allotment of 1190s was coming in all at once so the March delivery I expected took place over the xmas - new years holiday. Santa really delivered this year!

The weather has been mostly very cold and snowy so I have only put about 80 miles on my new bike. Every mile it impresses me more. I ordered the optional really short Adventure R wind screen and this is much better for me than the stock one. I also added some rubber washers under the lower screws to decrease the attack angle a little.

I installed the Adventure kit and the orange crash bars that are stock on the R model. The accent on the bike is gorgeous and I love the overall styling of the 1190 Adv. A matter of personal taste to be sure, but a great looking bike IMO.

I am not the least bit concerned about reliability and maintenance issues and I will be doing those chores my self.

Sorry to ramble on, but I figured I may be one of the first actual 2014 Adv owners in the USA so I thought I would pass on my early observations. If you are considering one, I can't imagine anyone regretting taking ownership of this magnificent machine. Don't wait too long. My nephew has already sold every one and Spring is months away!
Old 01-16-2014, 03:05 PM   #75
Black Hills
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
I've only put a couple hundred miles on my R version and agree with most everything you said. I didn't really notice the throttle return, but?? I did find the shorter screen on the R to provide decent wind protection but cause no helmet issues. Maybe you can swap yours out, I think they are interchangeable? the turn signal switch is very annoying but I am getting used to the hi-lo switch. I have to say the electronics are amazing!! I had assumed I would typically leave them turned off, but they work so good I think I will leave them on most of the time. 0-100-0 on the gravel is amazing! I can't do it any faster without the TC/ABS, I had to admit I was wrong about electronics. so far I'm loving it!
Black Hills is offline   Reply With Quote