ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2014, 07:39 AM   #91
kag
Wander Lust

Oddometer: 1,413
The headlight issue I do not think can be solved with adjustment. Replacement is what is needed. It just does not throw enough light out there to see well. For old rural 2 lane night riding its almost risky riding as the side to side light field is so poor.

I know you can add aux lighting and plan to but a better main beam is a must on this bike if you ride rural 2 lane roads like I do at night.

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:25 AM   #92
pyarnall
Adventurer reborn

Oddometer: 26
Hi Black Hills... you have 3" and 55 lbs on me... probably explains our different experiences of the seat and screen.

I have not ridden my 1190 at night yet so I can't comment about the lack of beam coverage. I was never overly impressed with my 990 in that regard either.

My Adv kit included the LED running lights which I have installed but not tried either. They seem pretty potent. It may be some time before I can report on how well they work. Some serious winter in these parts at the moment. Hope to get a few weeks in Fl in March. That may be the soonest I will get to test all the lights.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:30 AM   #93
Black Hills
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyarnall View Post
Hi Black Hills... you have 3" and 55 lbs on me... probably explains our different experiences of the seat and screen.

I have not ridden my 1190 at night yet so I can't comment about the lack of beam coverage. I was never overly impressed with my 990 in that regard either.

My Adv kit included the LED running lights which I have installed but not tried either. They seem pretty potent. It may be some time before I can report on how well they work. Some serious winter in these parts at the moment. Hope to get a few weeks in Fl in March. That may be the soonest I will get to test all the lights.
that is probably the difference!! I haven't ridden much at night, but I thought the low beam just needed adjustment? the high beam was as good or better than my 990 or CBR1000?
we have had a cold winter as well, but it was almost 60 yesterday. I did run into some snow/ice but nothing too bad, I think I may get to like the electronics! There was one odd moment. I pulled into the local biker bar for a beer on the way home and as usual made a big U-turn in the empty lot next door, clicked it into neutral about half way around and shut off the key. Nothing happened, it kept idling? when I came to a complete stop the bike shut off?
Black Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:48 AM   #94
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Hills View Post
There was one odd moment. I pulled into the local biker bar for a beer on the way home and as usual made a big U-turn in the empty lot next door, clicked it into neutral about half way around and shut off the key. Nothing happened, it kept idling? when I came to a complete stop the bike shut off?
That's the "quick get-away" sensor. Must have been the biker-bar set it off.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:55 PM   #95
kag
Wander Lust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Hills View Post
There was one odd moment. I pulled into the local biker bar for a beer on the way home and as usual made a big U-turn in the empty lot next door, clicked it into neutral about half way around and shut off the key. Nothing happened, it kept idling? when I came to a complete stop the bike shut off?
There is a short delay in shut off on mine...like half a second even just idling in the garage. Just chalked it up to the brain box finally telling the engine its dead.

I will have to check that out to see if its a safety over ride that prevents it from dying via the key switch until motion has stopped. Either way not to concerned

Old 01-20-2014, 03:16 PM   #96
Black Hills
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
I wasn't concerned just surprised, apparently doesn't shut off until you stop moving? I probably coasted 50 yards or so but as soon as I stopped it shut off.
Black Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:59 PM   #97
JETJOCK125
n00b

Oddometer: 6
I have had my 1190 R a couple of weeks now. Only 61 miles because of the weather here.

I just noticed the rear brake rotor is discolored (blue) from over heating. Maybe I'm dragging the rear brake? I need to adjust the pedal a bit lower I guess.
JETJOCK125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:12 PM   #98
Doug Matson
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,715
Mine shuts off like that also and I noticed the rear rotor was discolored also.
93' XR 200
72' SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
70' CB 350
65' CB 160
Doug Matson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:54 AM   #99
XsilverGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Have you tried THIS with the ignition switch?
XsilverGS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:05 PM   #100
Todd-Squad
See Ya, Bye.

Oddometer: 771
I went for a ride on my R today. Just for fun as I was coming down a hill into my neighborhood, I reached up and turned off the key. I was going about 30 mph and nothing happened. I drove about a mile to my house shifting gears up and down as I made several turns. When I pulled into my driveway, engaged the clutch and braked, at about 8mph the bike finally shut off.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:58 PM   #101
gozer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
I've "gently set mine down" on it's side, and could not get the engine to shut off with the key. Had to hit the kill switch.
gozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:25 PM   #102
strider.deano
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by XsilverGS View Post
Have you tried THIS with the ignition switch?
Wow...a KTM Easter Egg
strider.deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:18 PM   #103
kag
Wander Lust

Posted this already but thought i would ask here

Been reading about the direct LED headlight replacement bulbs. Anyone have any experience with these or has switched the stock headlight bulbs with these?

Looks like its a direct plug and a play and provides better light for night riding. I also found some 8 degree aux 10w Cree LED light for a lot cheaper than the ones i saw on here. The look very similar. The photos showed that they really light the darkness up. Might have to order both the direct swap LED and those much cheaper Cree LED aux lights to see how it all does.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:59 PM   #104
Todd-Squad
See Ya, Bye.

Oddometer: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by kag View Post
Been reading about the direct LED headlight replacement bulbs. Anyone have any experience with these or has switched the stock headlight bulbs with these?

Looks like its a direct plug and a play and provides better light for night riding. I also found some 8 degree aux 10w Cree LED light for a lot cheaper than the ones i saw on here. The look very similar. The photos showed that they really light the darkness up. Might have to order both the direct swap LED and those much cheaper Cree LED aux lights to see how it all does.

Let us know how it works out.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:35 AM   #105
pyarnall
Adventurer reborn

Oddometer: 26
CAN-bus issues with led conversion and clearing service faults?

I am a complete noob with regard to CAN-bus, but my modest experiences with my 1190 thus far suggest that changing things can be problematic.

For instance, I am trying to install a Kisan head light modulator in my 1190 Adv without success thus far. As Kisan explains it to me, there is a "hand shaking" process that goes on during each "boot up", (starting the engine), with every feature - device in the system. If the hand shaking does not return the "good to go" data it is looking for, it throws a failure notice on the console screen and may prevent the "feature" from working.

With the Headlight modulator, I get a "hi beam failure", and the high beam stops working, even though the bulb is in the circuit. Kisan is working on getting the hand shake thing squared away, but it makes me think that popping in an LED bulb replacement may not be as easy as it seems. I am sure the LED will draw less power and that may signal a failure to the CAN-bus. Hope I am wrong, but just a heads up.

Somewhat related, I installed the KTM heated grips on the 1190 yesterday. They are basically plug and play, electrically speaking, and then it is just a matter of going into the menu and turning the grips "on" so the computer is made aware of them. With the bike back outside, I fired it up just to hear it run... (tough winter here... no riding yet!), only to find a "service" fault flashing on the screen. Everything seemed to work and run fine, but the fault would not go away. A short ride to the mailbox did not clear it either.

My nephew - KTM dealer suggested pulling the pos lead off the battery, (bike off, of course), and shorting it to ground for a few seconds. Voila, no more fault! I have to believe that the fault was registered when I was doing a live chat diagnostics with the Kisan folks last week rather than anything I did installing the grips, but that is only conjecture on my part.

There are some cool benefits to my new computerized motorcycle, but it holds its share of mysteries!

I also have more casual info about the speedo calibration issue, but I am waiting for some documentation from my nephew before I post anything.