ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2013, 11:40 PM   #16
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,803
If grease is in the bearing ball's nest, it doesn't mix with hydraulic oil

but you do not know that there is no grease inside as well. You need to dissasemble the slave cyl to check. I suggest you also check your deepest steel clutch disk for groove, sitting next to the belevile spring.
Cheers.
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:27 AM   #17
Frog uk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
The grease was on the fluid side in mine, and it was being sucked up into the master cylinder making the oil dirty, but it may depend exactly where its sitting in the slave.
On mine we weren't talking just a little blob of grease, it was at least a third full of grease, nearly half full, loads of it in there.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2
Frog uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:41 AM   #18
5 speed OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog uk View Post
The grease was on the fluid side in mine, and it was being sucked up into the master cylinder making the oil dirty, but it may depend exactly where its sitting in the slave.
On mine we weren't talking just a little blob of grease, it was at least a third full of grease, nearly half full, loads of it in there.

is disassembly straight forward? Do I need to drain the master cylinder?
5 speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:48 PM   #19
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,490
Be careful not to adjust out all the "freeplay" on your clutch lever.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:56 PM   #20
Frog uk
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 speed View Post
is disassembly straight forward? Do I need to drain the master cylinder?
Yes easy, and yes all the fluid will come out.

Take off the slave, unscrew the piston from the pushrod end with a small pin spanner or similiar, mine was'nt very tight, pull the piston out. 'IF' yours needs it clean out the excess grease and reassemble and bleed.

Hope that's all your issue is.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:42 PM   #21
5 speed OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Yes easy, and yes all the fluid will come out.

Take off the slave, unscrew the piston from the pushrod end with a small pin spanner or similiar, mine was'nt very tight, pull the piston out. 'IF' yours needs it clean out the excess grease and reassemble and bleed.

Hope that's all your issue is.
OK so it unscrews, good to know.

Eastside, I had it all the way in but backed off of it.

I just arrived in India for a business trip. How would you like to ride a Hero Honda 125 with your wife and two kids on it? Thats pretty much how everyone gets around here in Hyderabad. Its going to be 111F today; not pleasant riding weather!

One week of this and then off to Amsterdam for the weekend. There is a bar stool with my name on it and a cold Heinie waiting for me

When I get home I will pull it off and and clean it. No biggie on the fluid loss just wanted to be prepared.

PS Now that I know how easy it is to drain the fluid, I may as well replace the fluid in my 530 and do the brake flush too. Having that Syringe system is the cat's ass
Old 05-21-2013, 01:05 AM   #22
gefr
Life is a trip

Quote:
unscrew the piston from the pushrod end with a small pin spanner or similiar
not sure what you mean by "unscrew" but the piston is not screwed to anything. It is mounted there, with a pinlock ring if I use the right terms.
Cheers.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:29 AM   #23
5 speed OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gefr View Post
not sure what you mean by "unscrew" but the piston is not screwed to anything. It is mounted there, with a pinlock ring if I use the right terms.
Cheers.
ah, maybe a circlip?
Old 05-21-2013, 07:11 AM   #24
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 speed View Post
ah, maybe a circlip?
Yes, the factory KTM ones that I have taken apart had a circlip.

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:19 PM   #25
Frog uk
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gefr View Post
Cheers.
Errrrr, read the thread mate, it's an Oberon slave not stock, you need to unscrew the 'piston retaining plate' for the pedantic.

See here, PIN SPANNER needed.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:10 PM   #26
gefr
Life is a trip

Apologies, never saw the Oberon's back side!

This is a slave cylinder well made!
Cheers.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:04 PM   #27
5 speed OP
Studly Adventurer

I see so just need the tool (actually think I have one) and unscrew , got it. Will advise once I get home if it makes a difference so anyone following will have for future reference.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:06 PM   #28
ABuck99

Oddometer: 551
There is, and should be, grease in the hole where the ball bearing is seated, that grease holds the ball in place so it doesnt fall out when you mount it up. I doubt very much there is any grease inside behind the piston. Ive done a bunch of these Oberon units and not had any problems, so I wouldnt think its the slave causing your problem.

Did you top off the fluid in the slave before you bolted down the banjo fitting? Its also a good idea to push a liberal amount of fluid up through the reservoir- several ounces to make sure the circuit is thoroughly clean and purged of air. I wouldn't recommend spraying carb cleaner through your clutch lines- may not be good on the inside of the cable surface and could weaken it. You might go back and try pushing another round of fluid through the reservoir and make sure there is no air in the system.

Since you rebuilt the master cylinder I would look there.

ABuck99 screwed with this post 05-22-2013 at 04:14 PM
ABuck99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:21 PM   #29
Frog uk
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABuck99 View Post
There is, and should be, grease in the hole where the ball bearing is seated, that grease holds the ball in place so it doesnt fall out when you mount it up. I doubt very much there is any grease inside behind the piston. Ive done a bunch of these Oberon units and not had any problems, so I wouldnt think its the slave causing your problem.

Did you top off the fluid in the slave before you bolted down the banjo fitting? Its also a good idea to push a liberal amount of fluid up through the reservoir- several ounces to make sure the circuit is thoroughly clean and purged of air. I wouldn't recommend spraying carb cleaner through your clutch lines- may not be good on the inside of the cable surface and could weaken it. You might go back and try pushing another round of fluid through the reservoir and make sure there is no air in the system.

Why do you doubt grease in the slave?
I had loads of it in mine, May not be common, but it happens, human error and all that.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:07 PM   #30
5 speed OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABuck99 View Post

at this point I wont quibble. Yes the way I did it was with a syringe so I pushed the fluid in from the slave to begin with, not the other way around. Yes the grease and ball bearing were in there. I will disassemble if I am going to touch it at all and clean and reassemble then follow same procedure to push the fluid up through the line from the slave end and report back. Dont mind doing this-taking the whole thing apart to try and clean the jet was the real pain. As I say on the jet, the hole is very small, never ran anything through it but the carb cleaner was clearly blowing through it so feel it was clean. who knows though how clean the hole was. Could have pushed grease into the jet when reinstalling down through the canal there and might have created a problem when there wasnt one!! We shall see and thanks to everyone for sticking with me.

I am pondering a trip of around 1000 miles or more. Going to take a page out of Advrider where the guy on the Panagale traveled around the US. My new job only requires a laptop and phone and not an office. I work with everyone around the world so timezone isnt an issue- I can ride during the day and work at night. I figure once I get this one licked, better carry a fuel pump and water pump with me. Havent replaced those yet and maybe I am now getting into the mileage where that is going to be an upcoming problem. That and of course the instructions on replacement from the HOW and the OC!!!!