Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2013, 12:04 AM   #16
legion
Lard Council

Oddometer: 12,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
SHE'S CALLING YOUR NAME!
You know you want the sexy Italian bitch!
Don't make her wait too long or she will find another lover.
They all do eventually. I just want my turn.
legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:30 AM   #17
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by legion View Post
Odd as hell but a high number of these Duc's are bought but never spanked.
Yep, and that's why they've been cheaper to insure than other performance bikes. Not sure if that's still true thru tho as their prices have come down and more squids have bought 'em. Just a few days ago a beautiful local red/blk/wht 848 EVO CORSA Special Edition with only a few hundred miles on it was totaled by a young rookie rider. Sad. Luckily he's fine tho in part because he had full gear on.
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:44 AM   #18
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,956
Quote:
Odd as hell but a high number of these Duc's are bought but never spanked.
I would fix that. I would dent it and scratch it up on the first day. Gives it character. I need to come up with a spare 20 K. Still working on that. Kids still bring a good price on the black market, right?

Kudos and congrats to you for the new bike! Beautiful machine! I need to take the plunge and just do it! We want reports on how awesome it is to ride for sure.

crashmaster screwed with this post 05-18-2013 at 01:49 AM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:56 AM   #19
Brendon@TMS
The Motorcycle Shop

Oddometer: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDuc View Post
Yep, and that's why they've been cheaper to insure than other performance bikes. Not sure if that's still true thru tho as their prices have come down and more squids have bought 'em. Just a few days ago a beautiful local red/blk/wht 848 EVO CORSA Special Edition with only a few hundred miles on it was totaled by a young rookie rider. Sad. Luckily he's fine tho in part because he had full gear on.
That bike actually had several thousand miles, however, that was it's 3rd insurance claim. That said, 848 based bikes have always had an insurance premium compared to the big MTS and Monster.

Mike, let me know when you're ready for a Ducati, I'll take care of you.

And back on topic, enjoy that Grantourismo! I rode the regular back to back with the Skyhook and it was quite impressive. Regarding our 2011 MTS1200 Touring S, Ohlins is still Ohlins and there's a reason it's equipped on the top race bikes.
Facebook! facebook.com/themotorcycleshopak
Brendon@TMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:01 PM   #20
legion
Lard Council

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendon@TMS View Post
Thanks Brendon!

...and Mark, I remember having seen you before we had met. It was out front in the parking lot of TMS and I remember thinking that yours was a gorgeous bike and that it was a little unusual to see an Italian dude on an Italian bike.

Apparently my ethnicity thing was off that day but my bike thing wasn't. That 996 is a beauty and the thing that strikes me is that almost all of them are. With the possible exception of Terblanche's follow up to the 916-998 generation they clearly put a lot of effort into making the bikes not just functional but beautiful in a lusty sort of way. Each of 'em have that in common. I remember seeing Jerold A's old monster and got the same impression. He had a dancer on the back so that might have been cheating the lusty scale just a tad but whatever. All of 'em.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:18 PM   #21
legion
Lard Council

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendon@TMS View Post
Quote:
I found another one that's six years old and has 300 miles on the clock. 1100S / hyper.

I stopped by to see you e/o last week, Brendon. Saw you were tied up and looked for the bike we talked about. I assume you peddled it but either way... my heart was set on something a little more scalpel-ish. I snagged an '08 Hypermotard w/ 300 miles on the clock.

It's the perfect alternate to the KTM 690SMC.

Runs out of breath just before it feels like you'll blow off the seat and surprisingly fun getting to that point. Thanks for the offer and yes... it's a gas riding a vee again.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:52 PM   #22
legion
Lard Council

It's an '08 and even the insulation between the exhaust cans and the CF guards is still clean and sparkly. Needs a little detailing and a canisterectomy but other than that it looks just like it did when it rolled off the showroom floor five years ago.

And Heli... that's your buttpad. Holler and I'll deliver it to you.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:44 PM   #23
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,496
Wow, big congrats!

Can't believe another friend is now a Hyper owner.

More pics please, Mike. The pic below is of the Hyper that Ben H. rode to 3rd over-all at last year's D2D games.

AKDuc screwed with this post 06-04-2013 at 12:06 PM
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:56 PM   #24
legion
Lard Council

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDuc View Post
Wow, big congrats!

Can't believe another friend is now a Hyper owner.

More pics please, Mike.
Thanks, Mark! I've got a couple questions I'd like to run by you, too. I slobbed the bike up riding in the rain today but I'll clean it up and snap a few pics in the next couple days.

Seems like a lower seat height than I was expecting and I need to tweak the suspension, etc. but it's definitely a fun bike. I'm thinking it must have been set up for someone a lot lighter then I as the rear shock sucks up a bunch of the power when you whack the throttle open in second. Wants to come up and will but s/b a little less drama.

Lots to learn and a new toy to learn on!
Old 06-04-2013, 06:09 AM   #25
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,195
Quote:
... the rear shock sucks up a bunch of the power when you whack the throttle open in second.
That seems odd. Mine doesn’t sink much, fairly stiff. Ain’t touched the suspenders.
Just sent you some more info. Assume you got the 1st three.
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:36 PM   #26
legion
Lard Council

I ordered a couple handfuls of fasteners to replace the junk plastic 1/4 turn jobbies that hold the front cowls on to what looks like it ought to be a fuel tank but apparently isn't.

Should have a handful of extras. Holler if you need some, Tom... or anybody else in the same predicament.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #27
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,851
I shouldn't have compromised with the Honda, as I've been wanting a 750 or 900SS or fuel injected Monster, particularly the S2R variants, for the last couple years and have never had the money together when nice ones come for sale. Now I have a blender instead of a motorcycle.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:34 PM   #28
simestd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Quote:

Geez I like the look of TomS' bike there!

Those Hypermotards are really gorgeous bikes... Congrats Legion

V-twin - check, air cooled - check, naked - check, upright position - check... and that exhaust system is just art! The cam drive being so external is kinda odd looking to me though.

I'm probably asking the wrong crowd, but what's it like to live with one of these? Do they trend toward being high strung, high maintenance (or downright BSC) as their Italian heritage might suggest?

'82 XV750, '82 GL500, '02 DR650, '07 XT225

simestd screwed with this post 06-07-2013 at 07:59 PM
simestd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:21 AM   #29
Bones_GSXR
Barb's Crash Test Dummy

Oddometer: 348
Ducati's built after 99 got a lot better (some teething troubles here and there) unlike my 900SS's (95 900SS/SP, 96 900SS/CR) that need belts and valve adjustments every 5000mi.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my children's throats.
Bones_GSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:37 AM   #30
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by simestd View Post
Geez I like the look of TomS' bike there!
Thanks! It looked like this on day one. Maybe not as 'flashy' now but I wanted an all black, including the frame, in the first place. Now the high, (very high!), buck stock panels are safe & sound. The CF stuff was real cheap in comparison. I didn't like the white stripes. White?! Yuk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simestd View Post
Do they trend toward being high strung, high maintenance (or downright BSC) as their Italian heritage might suggest?
I eyeballed some of the Ducatis for a long time, Monsters mostly. The thought of high maintenance & parts cost held me off. But when the Hypers came along & I got a chance to ride one I was sold. And maintenance things have improved. It has been flawless & no troubles, no regrets.
It’s better than Bones says though.
2008 thru 2012 Hypers ...
Check the belts at 7,500 miles, change the belts every 15,000 miles
Check and/or adjust the valves every 7,500 miles.
I’m almost to my first desmo valve adjustment & would be real happy to find a helper that has done it before.

The new 2013 Hypers are different. 821cc liquid cooled, 4 valve heads, 15,000 miles to valve adjustment. More horsepower, less torque.
Here’s a profile pic for ya, Simestd.

Wonder how this looks on here ....
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote