Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2013, 08:48 AM   #61
murpies
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Seem like it getting worst after the bulb change. It becoming more chalky inside the headlight n new burn mark
murpies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:21 AM   #62
murpies
Gnarly Adventurer

Just took a picture of it. The burn mark is wider now , it chalking the headlight unit as well.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:06 AM   #63
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by murpies View Post
Just took a picture of it. The burn mark is wider now , it chalking the headlight unit as well.
Are you certain the wiring behind the bulb is in good shape? If you have a problem there..it will keep the heat up..I cut my OEM plug off..soldered new spades on..we'll see how that works.
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:07 AM   #64
murpies
Gnarly Adventurer

Headlight melted

The wire behind the unit is in good shape , no sign of burnt or melt: took a picture of it.

murpies screwed with this post 09-10-2014 at 02:14 AM
Old 08-18-2013, 05:36 AM   #65
Gaspare
Almost dirt rider

Oddometer: 62
@ DS Rider: sorry for the late reply...
below you can find the label onto the bottom side of the light assembly, with CEV 713 indication.

then, you can find again the code onto the glass of hi beam light:

Obviously, the light you are lookig for, have the [red line borded] portion at the left side; below the front view.

CEV is an Italian manufacturer (pls, don't complain: it's working on German specifics) and its distributor is a certain Bergamaschi (http://www.bergamaschi.com/Download/...LERIA_2011.pdf) ...but some products are not shown on the catalog because of agreements with motorcycle manufacturers.
So: pls look at the code of your light, and - if in trouble, PM me, and I'll try to help to find out the right item. Take note, CEV shall open again after holidays on the first week of September.

By the way: I've solved the problem replacing the light assembly, plus an HID on low beam. No way with glow lamps... hi beam are useless after this treatment I only do recommend H7R lamps with 4600 K (if I remember well), and couple with cool blue Philips (almost same light tone/K temperature) at hi beam + LED at (I don't know how to say) lamps, small low beam ones... pls be patient.
Gaspare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:25 AM   #66
DS Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaspare View Post
@ DS Rider: sorry for the late reply...
Thats ok mate, thanks for the reply. Great info, pretty simple but i didnt know what to look for.

Cheers!

DS
DS Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:35 AM   #67
murpies
Gnarly Adventurer

Manage to use a pen with cloth to clear off the residue inside the headlight . Waiting it to dry up n then use the aluminum foil tape to patch up the burn mark
Old 08-19-2013, 04:20 PM   #68
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,160
That looks much better already!
Nice work!
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #69
murpies
Gnarly Adventurer

Before I do the tape thing , I was thinking why we are doing the fix ourselves!!! It ridiculous thar it got burn due to heat of the bulb . The headlite assembly itself must be able to transfer the 55W of heat away to a much larger surface area so it can be transferred to the airstream. If the bike is not moving for a long period, more of the headlite assembly's structure will get very very warm. Whether the bike is moving or creeping thru the sweltering Summer heat in gridlocked city traffic, the headlite bulbs attached should NEVER get so hot that it melts the reflector ! NEVER!!! So in other words it telling me tat I must turn of the headlight when it a hot day or when running the light for a prolong period of time when touring as to let the light take a break n cool down the heat!!! That's ridiculous !!! I'm going to make a complain for sure.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:15 AM   #70
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by murpies View Post
...That's ridiculous !!! I'm going to make a complain for sure.
I agree with you it is ridiculous ... the design is flawed
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:53 AM   #71
murpies
Gnarly Adventurer

Wink

looks like my pal having the same model as mine (F650GS Twin Sliver)also having this problem too. we're going down to the dealer and show it to them. his stilling under warranty but I'm not. Let see how it go. wish us luck. will keep this post update.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:39 PM   #72
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,878
I just checked my 2010. I see gray above the bulb where the Heat would be rising off the back of the bulb.
I might see if it cleans up. I would say something to the dealer since warranty expires next month. but I know the will say the HID is causing it (its a 35 watt HID system).
on mine the high beam side is still clear (not HID on high beam).

I know its not the HID since they all do it.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:43 PM   #73
murpies
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
I just checked my 2010. I see gray above the bulb where the Heat would be rising off the back of the bulb.
I might see if it cleans up. I would say something to the dealer since warranty expires next month. but I know the will say the HID is causing it (its a 35 watt HID system).
on mine the high beam side is still clear (not HID on high beam).

I know its not the HID since they all do it.
Yep. But they (BMW) will sure take note , if anything happen , they will blame it on the HID . To make matters simple. Just change it to stock if going down.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:24 PM   #74
minton82
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
TowPro, the black/grey part can't really be cleaned. If you see black, that's actually the plastic colour underneath!
Rubbing to try cleaning it might rub away the remaining silver coat... best thing imo would be to put some high temperature alu tape on there.
minton82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:29 AM   #75
murpies
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by minton82 View Post
TowPro, the black/grey part can't really be cleaned. If you see black, that's actually the plastic colour underneath!
Rubbing to try cleaning it might rub away the remaining silver coat... best thing imo would be to put some high temperature alu tape on there.
Most of my fellow Bimmer is doing tat and it helps. But it will look like this . If u don't mind.

I will go to the dealer and show them this . Why is it we re having this problem n it getting more common.