User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 01:52 PM   #1
bryantjt OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 926
First Real Ride - 2006 KTM 450 EXC

I just got back from my first real ride on my new to me 450 EXC. What a great machine! I rode it to my Father's place to change the oil and adjust the valves on his V-Start 650. I tossed 3 quarts of oil, filter, and a few tools in a back pack and set out this morning. 40 degrees and rain for the 35 mile ride to his place. The KTM is just a riot to ride, aside from the plank of a seat. Anyway, I start taking the tools out of the bag and realize I forgot my feeler gauges and he doesn't have any. So we only changed the oil and had lunch and just hung out for the afternoon since his birthday is in a few days and I have to work.

Apparently I left the parking lights on (Baja Designs kit with LED tail) and the battery ran flat in the 3 hours I was there because the electric start wouldn't even click. FWIW it is a brand new $30 4 amp-hour battery from Advanced Auto. I got it fired with the kick start and rode home in a snow storm and 35+ mph winds. I stopped midway to get gas and I managed 48 mpg. I didn't find much dirt to play in since we still have snow and ice on the trails but what few miles I did find, this machine is head and shoulders above what my KLX250S was. Having the power to get up on top of the mud or spin my way out of ruts is pretty nice.

This past weekend I changed the oil, filters, cleaned the screens, replaced the coolant, checked the valves, replaced the chain and sprockets (14/50) and both chain sliders. When I changed the oil, I filled the oil filter cavities part way per the manual, and added oil to the sump for a total of 1.15 liters and it was 3/4 of the way up the sight glass. The manual called for 1.2 but it would have been out of the window. I just got home and let it sit for a few minutes and the oil level is just barely at the bottom of the window and the engine is dry, no leaks from any of the drains, or filters.

Should I add oil to get it up the window more or is this just the way it is? Also, it was 15-40 Rotella dino oil.

Yes, I do have a skid plate for it but there was quite a bit of oil on the bottom of the motor when I bought it so I left it off after changing the oil so I could see if any of the bolts were leaking.
bryantjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:10 PM   #2
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,025
Beautiful bike. If everyone rode one for a bit, there would be a lot less of them available.

Do not go by the sight glass, it will vary enough to drive you batty if you let it. I used it just to check to color of my oil, nothing more. Remember 1L without the filters, 1.2 with.

Good luck and have fun!
Play War Thunder, ultra-realistic WWII Air Combat game with other ADVers
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:58 PM   #3
bryantjt OP
Studly Adventurer

I did find another quirk, the speedo went crazy for a few minutes and was showing random numbers from 0 to 200 mph and when I flipped through the settings I had a max speed of 300 mph. It worked fine the rest of the ride though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
Old 04-01-2013, 05:53 PM   #4
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantjt View Post
I did find another quirk, the speedo went crazy for a few minutes and was showing random numbers from 0 to 200 mph and when I flipped through the settings I had a max speed of 300 mph. It worked fine the rest of the ride though.

That happens a lot. Front wheel spin, errors in reading, etc.

On your short list should be a pair of tuggers front and rear, rad guards and KTM rad fan, and KTM hard parts tank. Join KTMTalk as well, way more info there.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:00 PM   #5
bryantjt OP
Studly Adventurer

Same screen name over at ktmtalk. The tuggers are on the list of must haves. I will probably go the same way as nobrakes and use a PC style fan. I have the stuff here to build an 8 oz catch tank. The left radiator is pretty tweaked as it is so a set of guards is probably a good idea too.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:09 PM   #6
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Quote:
Same screen name over at ktmtalk. The tuggers are on the list of must haves. I will probably go the same way as nobrakes and use a PC style fan. I have the stuff here to build an 8 oz catch tank. The left radiator is pretty tweaked as it is so a set of guards is probably a good idea too.

If you run a fan, Engine Ice, lower bar rad cap and have your carb jetted correctly (JD jet kid-nice!), you shouldn't have any burp overs that need a coolant catch. I did (have "burps) until I installed the abovementioned. Afterwards, nada. Even in 95 degrees+.

I should have wired my fan to be manual on/off and not thermostat controlled though. It used to run when the bike was off if it was hot out and drain the battery on longer rides. (3+hrs)
Old 04-01-2013, 06:15 PM   #7
bryantjt OP
Studly Adventurer

It has been jetted with a Moose jet kit and has the stock pipe on it. I used Prestone auto coolant. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:51 PM   #8
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Quote:
It has been jetted with a Moose jet kit and has the stock pipe on it. I used Prestone auto coolant. Thanks for the info.
Keep the stock pipe and re-pack as needed. It's a quality, light unit that will not benefit much from an upgrade. Also, loosen your chain a bit. It should almost look too loose.

Crap, I need a Thumper again. I miss this stuff so much. Owning/buying a home really cramped my style.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:19 PM   #9
sweetlou
small body, big balls

Oddometer: 854
Big D! Good to see you paroosin' a KTM thread.

I recently sold my KTM 450... man we had some good times with that bike huh? I sure will miss her.

Good news? Why of course I bought Kenny's 525! How could I not? Oh, and I am in the process of picking up a 09 xcw-e to satisfy my ring-a-ding ding. Plus Kenny got a 2 stroke so now I want one!

Hope all is well.

OP, the 450 is a great bike. 200 hours on my old one, not a problem. Keep the air filter clean, the oil changed, and the valves adjusted. The less you hit red line, the longer the motor lasts. Top ends are usually in the 250-400 hour range depending on use... Also, google the KTM 1/6 turn valve adjustment method. No feeler gauges necessary!

Good luck,

Lou

[2009 KTM 250 XCW(e)]

[2004 KTM 525EXC] - Sumo build
sweetlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:08 PM   #10
bryantjt OP
Studly Adventurer

So I was fiddling with the bike tonight and out of curiosity I hit the starter button and I heard a faint click under the seat and that was it. I tried 4 or 5 times and the same result. I checked the battery with a volt meter and it showed about 12.5 volts at rest and no change when I hit the button. Then I almost dropped my meter and in the process of catching it moved the battery some and now the button works again every time.

When I put the new battery in, I cleaned the existing wires with fine sandpaper and coated them with dielectric grease, I didn't do anything with the frame ground. I found that I could slightly move the frame ground, so I took it off and found the underside to be totally covered with dirt and the connection lightly corroded. I cleaned it up and used dielectric grease here as well and the button is working fine.

So, is it possible that the frame ground was sketchy but not bad enough to be a problem all the time? Or is it more likely that my starter button is dirty/worn out? Or option 3, the starter solenoid/relay?
Old 04-03-2013, 09:17 PM   #11
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Yeah, should be gtg now. Check the E-start button to be sure.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:33 AM   #12
bryantjt OP
Studly Adventurer

What should I look for, resistance across the leads? Or can it be opened and cleaned without being ruined? I don't have the large pod, just the small button that looks like it would be a kill switch.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:23 AM   #13
bryantjt OP
Studly Adventurer

Thought I had it, no start again this morning. The speedo backlight would dim but nothing from the starter even if I rolled it over with the kick start. Once it started though I could hit the button and it would spin.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:27 AM   #14
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Quote:
Thought I had it, no start again this morning. The speedo backlight would dim but nothing from the starter even if I rolled it over with the kick start. Once it started though I could hit the button and it would spin.

Go through all your electronics and grounds carefully. Disassemble and clean the starter button.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:35 PM   #15
bryantjt OP
Studly Adventurer

I started checking the harness and the molex connector for the starter button fell apart. I replaced it with 2 splice connections and still just a faint click from the rear of the bike.

I pulled out the starter relay and checked the connections and fuses and it all looked good. I cleaned it with contact cleaner for good measure and still nothing.

I jumpered the starter direct to battery and that's good, as is the starter lead by jumping that to the battery.

It appears that my starter relay is dead since I can't get power out of it.