User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2013, 10:17 AM   #1
Dragon M OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
No pride and even less sense...A Journey through AZ

"A plan"...is a good thing to have. If life has taught me one thing, that's that STARTING with "A Plan" is a good thing, once the plan gets rolling it takes on a life of it's own (shit happens), and what happens from there is "Adventure". This is true in many parts of my life, yet I still start with "A Plan".

So what was "The Plan" you're asking? Us southwesterners out here have a "gathering" called WARPED, after making the trek there last year (unprepared), having a blast (freezing my ass off, huddled under a tarp with a bunch of crazy people, and spending most of the weekend drunk to compensate), I could only think about going back again next year, but being warm instead of freezing the whole time.

Flash forward most of a year, and I'm dying for some time off work, my fellow inmates and I are planning a trip in '14 to Alaska to celebrate my 40th birthday and I'm thinking to myself "I've never really done a LONG trip on my motorcycle...perhaps I should try something local before packing it all in for 30 days and 7-8000 miles". So I start discussing taking the week before WARPED and going out through AZ to the Grand Canyon, hit some dirt, have some fun and show up at WARPED with some good stories. Here's where "The Plan" starts.

"The Plan" - this was pretty well done. I suckered LongTallSally into doing the map for us (he has quite the knack for that), I just sat on the sidelines and cheered him on. This was going to be an epic ride. There were going to be 6 of us, leaving on the Friday the week before WARPED, head out through Arizona, see the sights, hit some dirt, drink some alcohol, and LIVE life. We start the planning, bikes start getting prepped, campgrounds are being reserved, tires are purchased, "The Plan" is now finalized, and being put into effect.

Reality (aka "Life Happens") - Here's where "The Plan" starts to come off the rails (we haven't even left yet!) and the Adventure begins. Staring at the beginning of the trip, nary two weeks out and it starts to happen. One of the intrepid adventurers (Gillafunk) has a work event come up in the middle of the trip he HAS to be at. Another (Ben Carufel) has two different jobs he has to be at, (SQBimmer) starts a new job and decides that taking the first week of said new job off to ride his motorcycle is not the best choice for a long life at said company, and (LongTallSally) has medical problems that keep him from being able to ride. This leaves just (YetiGS) and myself as the final 2 going. A quick discussion is had between us and we decide to stick to what's left of "The Plan" and continue on.

More to come....
Dragon M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:36 PM   #2
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...

Oddometer: 4,081

Old 05-20-2013, 02:29 PM   #3
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 652
Don't stop now!

I remember so plain, just like yesterday, when I had my 40th birthday and really actually ruined the day because I hated the thought of turning 40! Well, guess where I'm at right now and still haven't made the trip to Alaska on a bike although two of our kids live there. Don't let things stop you from going cuz you know how the story goes......and now I'm only a few months from 70!

Good luck and stay safe. (Go alone if nothing else!)

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Ride

Oldone screwed with this post 05-26-2013 at 02:32 PM
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:57 PM   #4
MrGoldfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
In!

I'm in!!!

MrGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:33 PM   #5
TommyDuncan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Also in... I loves me sum Grand Canyon stories!
TommyDuncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:48 PM   #6
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,346
Ah yes, the ride report begins....

As D said, there was "The Plan" and then there's reality. As the title suggests, I don't have much pride and even less sense. "How little sense do you have, Yeti?" you ask?

Exactly one week before we leave, I decided that this trip wasn't adventure enough, I needed to buy a new bike for the trip. And not just any bike, but a 104,000 mile old R1150GS Adventure. THREAD

"But Yeti," you say, "that bike is in San Francisco and you're in San Diego. How are you going to get it in one week when you have to work every day?"

That's where young Ben Carufel comes in. He was willing to fly up to San Francisco and ride the bike down for me, ensuring that it was road-trip worthy on the way south. Even though he couldn't make the trip, he still played a large part in making it happen!

To compound his good karma (which he really needed to do), he spent all day Friday helping me transfer all of the "stuff" (lights, panniers, GPS, etc.) from my old bike and onto the GSA while fixing a few necessary issues. We finished at 9:30pm the night before my departure. What could possibly go wrong?? As Ben was leaving, he mentioned, "Your front brake pads are almost non-existent."

I packed the next morning and it was time to go...

take a shit. I texted D and told him he'd need to bump our departure time a half hour.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:06 PM   #7
Dragon M OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Glad you posted that Yeti...your personal addition (mind you it was your ONLY addition) to seriously "Fucking up The Plan". It was probably a good idea to get that out of the way early rather than during the trip. I do call that guy, Ben Carufel "douchebag" with regularity (which is appropriate) but when you really have some stupid shit you want to do, he's always (usually? Sometimes?) a good companion to have along.
Dragon M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:35 PM   #8
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon M View Post
Glad you posted that Yeti...your personal addition (mind you it was your ONLY addition) to seriously "Fucking up The Plan". It was probably a good idea to get that out of the way early rather than during the trip. I do call that guy, Ben Carufel "douchebag" with regularity (which is appropriate) but when you really have some stupid shit you want to do, he's always (usually? Sometimes?) a good companion to have along.
Yeah, I would've felt really bad if the bike broke down on the trip and caused issues. Thankfully, it waited until almost the end of the trip . . . (That's called "foreshadowing")

It caused me a great deal of stress throughout the trip. I had to drink extra beer to assuage my worries. . Yep.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
Old 05-21-2013, 10:36 PM   #9
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFoole View Post

I wonder if we'll finish our ride report before you do....

Old 05-22-2013, 07:18 AM   #10
on2wheels52
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,307

Jim
on2wheels52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:53 AM   #11
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,546
This sounds interesting.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:25 AM   #12
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS View Post
I wonder if we'll finish our ride report before you do....

Point taken....
Old 05-24-2013, 10:43 AM   #13
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,302
Get to the pics you morons!

And the doc said yesterday, 2 more weeks of healing and then 4 of physical therapy and perhaps I can start riding again. The foot still doesn't really work, but he's sure that the nerve that was pinched will start working again.

Anyway, I wanna see the parts of the route that didn't suck!
Old 05-24-2013, 02:39 PM   #14
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
Get to the pics you morons!

And the doc said yesterday, 2 more weeks of healing and then 4 of physical therapy and perhaps I can start riding again. The foot still doesn't really work, but he's sure that the nerve that was pinched will start working again.

Anyway, I wanna see the parts of the route that didn't suck!
Devin's taking his sweet as time isn't he.

Maybe, I'll take over...
Old 05-24-2013, 09:48 PM   #15
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...