User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2013, 01:38 PM   #1
Prettyboy OP
BFLB

Oddometer: 484
Well, that was quick.

So, I managed to be the one guy in my first day of MSF range who crashed. Not dropped the bike, mind you (one or two people did that) but actually fell off at speed (well, not much speed, but still.)

We were just getting used to turning, and when we crossed over to do the oval backwards, I got screwed up trying to get back into second, ended up coming into the turn a little hot, and taught myself the hard way why we don't break in turns.

Didn't get hurt, other than a little scratch where the terrible gloves I was wearing ripped. My jacket has a little character now too. It could have been worse, considering I was wearing an open face helmet and sunglasses (didn't realize the helmets they provided didn't include eye protection until too late to go buy some).

Anyway, yeah, learning experience. Other than that, first time on a bike was pretty cool.

Prettyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:58 PM   #2
bobobob
badbadbad

Oddometer: 4,982
It was probably the wingtips.

It is just a bunch of inner tubes Roy . . . - Cannonshot
Growing old is compulsory - growing up is optional. - Haroon
bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:44 PM   #3
Benesesso
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeps View Post
So, I managed to be the one guy in my first day of MSF range who crashed. --------

Anyway, yeah, learning experience. Other than that, first time on a bike was pretty cool.
Welcome to the sport. My first ride, many years ago, ended after ~5 seconds when the little minibike pitched me off and my foot slid under a chain-link fence. The ends of the wire are pretty sharp.

Benesesso screwed with this post 05-19-2013 at 07:09 AM
Benesesso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:24 PM   #4
Prettyboy OP
BFLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobobob View Post
It was probably the wingtips.
Ha. Ha. Ha.

Sturdiest pair of boots I have. Lace up ropers. Honestly, after riding, I think I might have had trouble with anything bulkier. Size 13s take up a lot of space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benesesso View Post
Welcome to the sport. My firs ride, many years ago, ended after ~5 seconds when the little minibike pitched me off and my foot slid under a chain-link fence. The ends of the wire are pretty sharp.
Sounds painful.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:17 PM   #5
TexaNate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
According to my instructor, every class has a different dynamic - sometimes no one drops in the whole class but sometimes every single person drops on a given exercise.

Frankly, I'm surprised they don't have students wear more gear for liability reasons - long sleeves, closed shoes and any helmet is all they asked for, as I recall. It's easy to forget but going down at 30mph on pavement with inadequate gear hurts and it can put you in the hospital from road rash alone.

Riding gloves are like twenty bucks and a good full-face helmet can be found for under a hundred. Get thee to a moto shop and get yourself some more gear - you know you have to eventually.

Also - on riding boots - it can be a pain to get used to bulkier boots (especially shifting) but you can usually rotate shift lever up on the splines to accommodate a bigger shoe, or you can buy a longer lever. The main time I get paranoid about protecting my feet is when I'm offroad with boulders and weeds and stuff but even on the street, it would suck to wreck and get skewered in the ankle by a footpeg on the way down...

Don't let your little spill get you down - is that MSF's bike you dropped? Always best to drop someone else's machine if possible
Old 05-19-2013, 06:50 AM   #6
Prettyboy OP
BFLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaNate View Post
According to my instructor, every class has a different dynamic - sometimes no one drops in the whole class but sometimes every single person drops on a given exercise.

Frankly, I'm surprised they don't have students wear more gear for liability reasons - long sleeves, closed shoes and any helmet is all they asked for, as I recall. It's easy to forget but going down at 30mph on pavement with inadequate gear hurts and it can put you in the hospital from road rash alone.
That is why I was so happy I had my jacket. Didn't even get a bruise on my arm.
Quote:
Riding gloves are like twenty bucks and a good full-face helmet can be found for under a hundred. Get thee to a moto shop and get yourself some more gear - you know you have to eventually.
Already done. I just hadn't had a chance before the class.
Quote:
Also - on riding boots - it can be a pain to get used to bulkier boots (especially shifting) but you can usually rotate shift lever up on the splines to accommodate a bigger shoe, or you can buy a longer lever. The main time I get paranoid about protecting my feet is when I'm offroad with boulders and weeds and stuff but even on the street, it would suck to wreck and get skewered in the ankle by a footpeg on the way down...

Don't let your little spill get you down - is that MSF's bike you dropped? Always best to drop someone else's machine if possible
I was back up and riding as soon as they would let me. Didn't really bother me at all, just kicking myself for having to learn the hard way. I figure that dropping the MSF bike in a controlled environment was probably the best place for that to happen, and I didn't get hurt.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:27 AM   #7
Seth650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Quote:
That is why I was so happy I had my jacket. Didn't even get a bruise on my arm.

Already done. I just hadn't had a chance before the class.

I was back up and riding as soon as they would let me. Didn't really bother me at all, just kicking myself for having to learn the hard way. I figure that dropping the MSF bike in a controlled environment was probably the best place for that to happen, and I didn't get hurt.
At my MSF class if you dropped the bike you failed immediately and had to leave. One guy did, but he was given the chance to come back and "pick up" from where he left off , test-wise.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:02 AM   #8
psychopompos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
I believe that this is true only of the testing part. Dropping the bike during the exercises is considered 'OK'. Or maybe not, during my class no one dropped a bike until the test. Then all hell broke loose.
psychopompos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:10 AM   #9
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopompos View Post
I believe that this is true only of the testing part. Dropping the bike during the exercises is considered 'OK'. Or maybe not, during my class no one dropped a bike until the test. Then all hell broke loose.
I think that's right. When I took mine (granted, it was a decade ago) people dropped a couple times during the exercises but one person failed the test just for putting a foot down.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:14 AM   #10
Seth650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopompos View Post
Yes that's right. A girl did a slow drop, and continued with the course. The guy who had to leave dropped during the skills test. I took mine on the one DR200 there, and I raised the idle speed slightly since it was bucking when doing the slow maneuvers in 1st. Test was actually fun (except for the figure 8 in the parking space, when I got all but still did it )

Seth
Old 05-19-2013, 08:31 AM   #11
Hesaid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,040
Quote:
Honestly, after riding, I think I might have had trouble with anything bulkier. Size 13s take up a lot of space.
While I'm not going to argue with the advice about getting some good boots, I would add that things get much better when you get to pick your own bike. Having a bike that fits you is just as nice as good fitting gear. You know how when you pull on the right pair of gloves all of your fingers just go where they belong, and your movements still feel natural? Good fitting boots don't require you to stretch and wiggle, relace... A good fitting bike is kinda like that. All of your appendages fall right into place, all the controls are right where they need to be.

My MSF instructor repeatedly told me "Good job, you made that look as smooth as a circus bear on a bicycle could." I never did tell him that if he's seen Madagascar 3, the bear gets a Ducati."

MV
Hesaid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:40 AM   #12
Cale_Kat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Can't understand how this happened... the number 8 is supposed to represent balance.

Good luck.
Cale_Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:32 PM   #13
DavidBanner
Banned

Oddometer: 1,163
well that should cure you from braking in turns. sounds like you're gonna be ok.
DavidBanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:26 PM   #14
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:

Holy shit, look at those "barkbusters". Well I guess not for 'bark' as there are no trees on the range (that's what we call 'em on woods bikes).
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:29 PM   #15
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
....taught myself the hard way why we don't break in turns.
Pssst... actually we CAN brake in turns. Think of it as an 'advanced maneuver', lol. Just don't grab a big handful (or footfull) while turning.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote